ATA ceases operations

PDAZ

Another airline to Hawaii is gone...

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) -- ATA Airlines has ceased all flights as it files for bankruptcy, apologizing to its customers for the airline's "sudden shutdown," according to a company statement released Thursday.

The low-cost, charter airline based in Indianapolis, Indiana, filed for Chapter 11 status on Wednesday as a result of financial problems "following the loss of a key contract for our military charter business," ATA said.

"Unfortunately, we were not in a position to provide our customers or others with advance notice," ATA said.

The airline, founded in 1973, served major business centers - including Chicago, Dallas and Oakland - and popular vacation spots throughout the United States, including Hawaii, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Las Vegas. The airline also operated as a leading carrier for the U.S. military.

It operated 29 aircraft, including Boeing 737-800s, Boeing 757-200s, Boeing 757-300s, DC10s and Lockheed L-1011s.

At the time of its shutdown, ATA employed approximately 2,230 people, including approximately 600 pilots, more than 800 flight attendants, and more than 100 mechanics

Just a confirmation of the above info. My mother is (was!) a flight attendant for ATA and called early this morning to let us know the bad news. She was just a year from her ten year retirement w/flight benefits date and really enjoyed flying people to Hawaii and attending on the military charters for ATA.

Best wishes to all those out of work this morning.

I feel so horrible for those out of work :(

I am now however panicking (sp?) because our spirit cruise to hawaii is in less than 3 weeks and an ATA flight was our flight out of there with 2 connections back home. I'm on hold with yahoo travel now :(

Oh No!!!!!!!!! My parents are booked on the POAm and were flying with ATA out of LAX in two weeks. We were also booked on ATA for our August trip. I was so happy to get such great fares and now I wonder if we will even be able to afford another carrier.:mad:

If you've booked with ATA, call other airlines NOW. Do not wait. Otherwise you might not be able to find a seat on flights that will work for you, much less one at a price that you can afford.

Southwest Airlines was a partner to ATA. We had used our Southwest rapid rewards frequent flyer credits to book flights to go to Hawaii via ATA for a week in July. Looks like we won't be going now because we can't afford to pay for the flights and the rest of the trip and Southwest doesn't fly to Hawaii on their own. So unless Southwest starts flying there soon, our trip isn't going to happen. :( I'm sad. At least Southwest had already credit our frequent flyer accounts back for the flights and we aren't fighting a bankrupty court to get our money back. I feel just horrible for those stranded, those who are potentially out of their money for future flights they've paid for and especially those without jobs. This has affected a lot of people in a bad way.

after nearly 5 hours on the phone, i finally managed to get through and book us a flight home from hawaii at relatively the same time (time for us is a factor on the way back) but for 267+ dollars more than what ATA was offering. multiply that by 3 and our trip is now costing us almost 1000.00 more which is hard to swallow since you all know how expensive a trip like this is in the first place. at least at this point we'll be able to go and aren't stranded somewhere or without a job :(

Delta is extending assistance to customers affected by the termination of ATA service by offering passengers with confirmed tickets for certain ATA flights to locations in Hawaii and Mexico a $100 per person, per nonstop segment, coach standby option through the end of this month.

Affected passengers also may purchase confirmed space tickets at a 20 percent discount off our lowest walk-up fares through the end of the month.

This offer is available for Delta flights to and from Honolulu, Hawaii, Kahului, Hawaii, Guadalajara, Mexico, and Cancun, Mexico.

We have friends who are now having an extended vacation in Hawaii. They were supposed to fly out late Saturday night, but now cannot leave until Wednesday Morning. They were fortunate to get a great deal at a hotel. Our flight leaving Hawaii late Saturday afternoon with American Airlines was delayed by an hour, and we were told if we missed our connecting flight in Los Angeles, we would likely be stuck there for several days, as all flights were booked to the max. Luckily (for us, not for some others!) that flight was also delayed, and we were able to make our connections. I don't know what happened to the people who were actually booked to cruise last weekend:confused:

Hawaiian Airlines was supposed to pick up some of the displaced Aloha personnel, hopefully the folks from ATA will be able to find spots with other airlines as well.

-Mike

Archived