Gold Creek Salmon Bake or Thane Ore House?

BaileyandBella

I was planning on doing the Gold Creek, but read quite a bit about the Thane Ore House last night.

But does the Thane Ore House have outdoor BBQ's and fireplace etc? Are their outdoor grounds pretty and does it have ambiance? For the Ore House "all you can eat", how do they cook the salmon?

Any opinions would be great....thanks!

Well since you asked... here's my opinion. :D

From what others have said, the Thane Ore House has excellent Salmon and Halibut dinners, they'll pick you up for free and bring you back to the ship if you call to make reservations. However, it's basically a sit down restaraunt.

The Gold Creek Salmon Bake is more of an experiance from what I gather, with some music, a creek nearby, roasted marshmello's by a campfire and on the way to Mendenhall Glacier so easy to do both and still have some time in port.

It just depends on what you prefer. We're doing the Gold Creek Salmon Bake. ( unless somebody changes our minds.)

Rick

I have been to both, I don't think the above has??? Thane Ore House has way superior food and is a restaurant. Very nice setting. But Gold Creek Salmon Bake is a BIG outside bulk food attraction, more tourist attraction, yes music, marshmellows, fireplace etc. But most all fellow ship passengers. Thane Ore House is local and out of the tourist "loop".

I have been to the Thane Ore House; not to Gold Creek Salmon Bake. Here's the link to their site: www.thaneorehouse.com I agree with Budget Queen. It's a great place to eat and as you'll see from the menu, you can order the all you can eat (including salmon/halibut/ribs with great salad bar and soft drinks); indiv items; just salmon; or just halibut;a combo of both; and burgers too. When we were there it wasn't busy, and they cooked the salmon over an inside char grill to order. The Beer battered Halibut was also made to order. The salad bar was excellent with a good variety of homemade items-at least they tasted homemade to me. We were there the third week of May and had a great time after we ate outside. There were two Eagles in the tree right next to the restaurant, and provided our first close-ups of an mature and imature eagle! In fact my daughter was almost right underneath one of the eagles, and let's just say she was a bit too close and almost came home with a souvenier she wouldn't want to bring home!:eek: In warm weather you can eat out on the picnic tables, in fact there's a pic on their website of that area.

By the way, we went as a result of asking the bus driver from Capt Larry's Whale Watch where the best place to eat would be. She suggested the Thane Ore House and even called them for us to pick us up. You can actually have them call at the visitors center at the Aerial Tram, and the folks at the Thane Ore House will pick you up.

By the way, since the web site didn't quite seem to work for me (the photo area); I went back to google and found information from trip advisor: here's the link:

www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g31020-d330396-Reviews-Thane_Ore_House_Salmon_Bake-Juneau_Alaska.html

The above should give more details about a great option for eating in Juneau!

Archived