Alaskan cruise question

The Alaskan cruise season is from May through Sept. We've been at the end of May and found the weather to generally be great. If you travel earlier in May you'll encounter more winter-like weather. Often, May and Sept. are less expensive months to cruise (because the weather can be iffy). Also, depending on what kind of activites you want to do-such as wildlife viewing, the month can play a role. For example, if you want to go on a bear viewing excursion, I think it's recommended to wait until mid July for the best opportunity to see bears. This is a good question to post on the Alaska forum.

We went in mid-June, right around the Summer Solstice when it never really gets dark...very interesting! We had GREAT weather...in fact, the locals were all commenting on how warm it was, so I don't know how warm it normally gets in June.

What are the best months to go on a Alaskan cruise? Are some preferred over others, and why, if you don't mind sharing? We are considering one, and want to go at the best possible time. Thanks for your help.

My son, who lives in Fairbanks, AK, and I took an Alaskan cruise June 5, 2006 inside passage on Sapphire Princess. It was a great time of year. My son, since he lives in Alaska, has said it can get very warm or be very cold. It is the catch of the draw like anywhere else. Weather in Ketchikan was misty and chilly (around 53 degrees) but our tour guide described that town as having 2 kinds of weather, about to rain and raining. It stopped after the tour and we walked around town rain free. Juneau and Skagway were sunny and about 60 degrees. We went also to Glacier Bay where the ship cruises around the bay. It is breath taking. It is a beautiful cruise and in my opinion after 31 cruises, my favorite by far. A friend of mine went that same year in July and she found the temperatures only slightly higher and weather about the same. The first of June was less expensive. What was most amazing was it was light out around 3:30 a.m. and did not get dark until 10:30 p.m. or so. We had a balcony which is a must on the Alaska cruise. We saw whales, little sea otters, Moose, hundreds of Eagles and Dolphins. I understand Sitka is a more animal sighting port. We did not go to Sitka. The cruise is a more "casual" dress than the Caribbean during the day. Take lots of layering type clothes so you can peel off and put on to suit your warmth needs. I have been on lots of different cruise lines and Princess did an excellent job. It is more upscale than RCL but not stuffy or out of range. You will love Alaska, have a great cruise.

It is the "high" (as in $$$) point in the cruise calendar but we had to cruise on the Solstice. We left Sitka on the 20th of June and crossed the Gulf that evening and from the Crow's Nest Lounge (HAL's Veendam) at 2am we could see the distant mountains or the Wrangel or Elias range glowing through the slight fog, in the last sunlight coming from the North. Yes, North. I few hours later, while we finally slept, the sun rose in the northeast. But that "picture" in my head of the ship gliding across the unusually calm Gulf of Alaska will stay with me forever.

Another part of our Solstice plan was a post-cruise side trip to Barrow where I got some nice pictures of the sun high in the northern sky at 2am on the 26th of June. It was shining off the pack ice and water pockets of the Arctic Ocean like thousands of jewels. :cool:

Weather may be better in late July but the solstice is a magical time. Also, in June there is still snow at higher elevations feeding waterfalls. If wildlife is your thing - depending on which critter you are most interested in (Bears, Whales, Salmon runs, etc...) there are specific seasons. Check the destinations - Alaska forum.

Archived