Excursion in General

We are thinking about planning all of our excursions through RCI. Do you recommend doing this or is it best to do it some other way. Right now the way we have been told is this is the best way not to lose your money should ships plans change due to weather, etc. :confused:

If you go to the message boards for each port you intend on visiting, you can find a wealth of information on private tours. I almost always book on my own to save money and to get a more personal tour. If you are in port for a short time or need to go a long distance on a tour, stick with the cruise line.

Oh, and most of the guides mentioned on CC will give you your money back if the ship does not make it to port. They would not have a business if they got a bad rep for taking money from cruisers who have no control over the ship.

Unless you are familiar with the ports, and have done some research, you may want to stick with the ship's excursion, for nothing more than the "security" factor! You KNOW they won't leave without you, and basically, you have to do nothing but show up!

We booked independent tours for the first time on our Voyager cruise last week. I spent some time on the port of call boards for our stops, posting questions, reading reviews. I had been wary of going outside the ship's tours, but I am go glad I did. We had great excursions, personal attention from tour guides, and got back in plenty of time, and it was cheaper. As others have posted, they would not stay in business long if they caused pax to miss the ship. Do some research, go with reputable companies that have good reviews, and you'll have a great time, and save some money as well.

The KEY is...do your research!!! I wonder if the person that told you you'd lose your money did theirs, as most independent tours will refund your money if the ship does not make it to port, OR they will not require you to pay upfront. They don't want people mad. Ensure that you find out about their cancellation policies up front and you'll be fine, I always book my own excursions with independent tour operators and have never regretted it.

Unless you are familiar with the ports, and have done some research, you may want to stick with the ship's excursion, for nothing more than the "security" factor! You KNOW they won't leave without you, and basically, you have to do nothing but show up!

especially with the security comment.

Archived