Extras with a penthouse suite???

kmavb

Wondering what EXTRAS we get when having a AD penthouse suite. We'll be traveling to Alaska.

I've been researching the web for more info...so that my family and I can take full advantage of the "EXTRA" perks.

I know we'll have a buttler...and that he can bring us various things for the room. Do they set the table for roomservice orders (like breakfast)? And will the buttler bring daily FREE snacks? When will these snacks appear, and what kind are they???

Are there nice feather pillows available on board or should we bring our own from home. We all sleep with lots of pillows!!!!

And is the sofa bed really that uncomfortable...many people have rated the sofa bed BADLY!?!?!?! I'm worried I wont get a good nights sleep.

You are going to love it. Watch out though... we were in a Penthouse in Hawaii a few years ago. Loved it so much I talked DH into an O/S for Mexico. You'll never go back to a regular room.

Now, to the good stuff:

Priority embarkation - this is great. Special line for suites at most embarkation points. There will likely be a VIP room for you to wait with snacks and you will be amongst the first to board.

Butler - he will bring your room service orders. First step will be to set up your table with a tablecloth and then serve you. Our afternoon treats seemed to alternate between savory and sweet. One day would be little sandwich type things. The next might be some dessert-type finger foods.

Concierge - priority tender tickets, restaurant reservations - this is huge. You see all the complaining posts about people who have to make their own reservations. You'll get priority. Suite cocktail party. On our Hawaii cruise this was great. Small group. On the Mexican one it was a zoo and we left quickly. Priority debarkation and you'll get to go into the chocoholic buffet earlier than the other folks.

The sofas in the penthouses don't seem all that comfortable to sit on, to be honest. My parents were in the adjoining penthouse on our Mexico trip and Mom used to like coming into our room to sit on the couch in the O/S. She didn't like their couch at all.

Have a wonderful trip and enjoy every minute!!!

And is the sofa bed really that uncomfortable...many people have rated the sofa bed BADLY!?!?!?! I'm worried I wont get a good nights sleep.
Wow, I didn't know the AD had a sofa bed. I thought the "Romance Suite" was just for two people. Am I learning my "something new every day"? Or are you on the Sun?

I just edited this because I saw another thread of yours. You are on the Sun. And I've even been in one of the ADs on the Sun. But, sorry, I didn't use the sofa except to sit on it! You'll love the AD, though. The views from your balcony will be stupendous for Alaska. I am so envious!

There are photos of the AD suite in my Webshots album if you'd like to see the suite. Click on the Photos link in my signature.

Enjoy that cute little ship!

Last year my mother and I went on our very first cruise. This was aboard the Norwegian Spirit out of NYC, and I booked an AC penthouse suite for myself with an adjoining BB balcony for my mother. This was a far better arrangement for us than an owner’s suite. We like our space.

Anyway … having experienced both a penthouse suite and a balcony cabin at the same time, I think I can point out some of the perks. First off, we checked in together and then went for my mother’s cabin card. Next, I told them my cabin number to get my card, but this seemed to cause some confusion. A few moments later the concierge appeared, asking me what I was doing standing in line since I was a “VIP”! She took me over to a nice table with a white table cloth to get my card, and then she told us that we could just get on the ship, and that for the rest of the voyage we were not to stand in any more lines.

On arriving at my penthouse suite, there was a basket of fresh fruit on the dining room table and a chilled bottle of champagne in the champagne stand. My mother’s balcony cabin had a nice little coffee table, without all the … um … clutter. I felt somewhat bad about this, so I let her have a glass of champagne.

My bathroom had a vanity and dressing area, separate WC, shower and whirlpool tub. The bathroom also had an attractive double-sink with an assortment of spa products and two bathrobes. My mother’s bathroom was … um … a wee bit small, but it did have very convenient soap and shampoo dispensers on the wall. I felt a little bad about this too, so I let her borrow one of my bathrobes.

I think it was on the first or second night out, I can’t remember which, while I was relaxing in my whirlpool bath, that my mother answered a knock at the door. (Fortunately, as you will see, I had the foresight to unlock our adjoining door.) It was the concierge, telling us that we were invited to a cocktail party with the captain. The cocktail party was held in the art auction area. It included free cocktails and hors d'oeuvres, plus we got to meet the ship’s officers.

On our first trip to the main dining room, my mother swiped her BB cabin card through the reader and we didn’t think much of it. The next day, however, I swiped my AC suite card and we were seated in a much better location. We learned pretty quickly not to use the BB cabin card at the restaurants.

Towards the end of our cruise, we decided to eat at the Italian restaurant at the last minute. We didn’t have a reservation, but we tried any way. The hostess told my mother that they were totally booked and that they couldn’t seat us. So I suggested to my mother that we just go back to our room and order off the restaurant menu. The hostess heard me and then asked what my cabin number was, so I told her. A few minutes later, we were seated at a very nice table in the restaurant. It’s funny; they must have had a last minute cancellation.

During the week, we learned that we could write just about anything on the breakfast room service card which our butler delivered in the morning. On our last night, we read in the ship’s daily newsletter, that only a continental breakfast would be served the next day. We mentioned this to the butler, but he told us that we could order what ever we wanted. We did, and he brought our breakfast as usual.

Also on the last night, they delivered VIP luggage tags. I had some left over, so I gave them to my mother. With the VIP luggage tags, our bags were right there when we got off, instead of buried in huge stacks around the terminal.

Thank you sooo much for the info. I too have been wondering about the Perks involved with being in an AE suite. We are traveling with another couple who are in a balcony room only. Will we be able to "share" some of our perks with them?:cool: We are traveling and will spend a great deal of time together.

Any advice? Any and all suggestions welcome! :D

Thank you sooo much for the info. I too have been wondering about the Perks involved with being in an AE suite. We are traveling with another couple who are in a balcony room only. Will we be able to "share" some of our perks with them?:cool: We are traveling and will spend a great deal of time together.

I think you can share some things. We were in an AE on the Dawn recently and made friends with two lovely ladies from Canada who were in an inside stateroom. They would come by us to watch the sunsets on our balcony. We would let our butler know we were having company and he would aways bring us extra goodies. Enjoy your AE. We LOVED it:)

Last year my mother and I went on our very first cruise. This was aboard the Norwegian Spirit out of NYC, and I booked an AC penthouse suite for myself with an adjoining BB balcony for my mother. This was a far better arrangement for us than an owner’s suite. We like our space.

Anyway … having experienced both a penthouse suite and a balcony cabin at the same time, I think I can point out some of the perks. First off, we checked in together and then went for my mother’s cabin card. Next, I told them my cabin number to get my card, but this seemed to cause some confusion. A few moments later the concierge appeared, asking me what I was doing standing in line since I was a “VIP”! She took me over to a nice table with a white table cloth to get my card, and then she told us that we could just get on the ship, and that for the rest of the voyage we were not to stand in any more lines.

On arriving at my penthouse suite, there was a basket of fresh fruit on the dining room table and a chilled bottle of champagne in the champagne stand. My mother’s balcony cabin had a nice little coffee table, without all the … um … clutter. I felt somewhat bad about this, so I let her have a glass of champagne.

My bathroom had a vanity and dressing area, separate WC, shower and whirlpool tub. The bathroom also had an attractive double-sink with an assortment of spa products and two bathrobes. My mother’s bathroom was … um … a wee bit small, but it did have very convenient soap and shampoo dispensers on the wall. I felt a little bad about this too, so I let her borrow one of my bathrobes.

I think it was on the first or second night out, I can’t remember which, while I was relaxing in my whirlpool bath, that my mother answered a knock at the door. (Fortunately, as you will see, I had the foresight to unlock our adjoining door.) It was the concierge, telling us that we were invited to a cocktail party with the captain. The cocktail party was held in the art auction area. It included free cocktails and hors d'oeuvres, plus we got to meet the ship’s officers.

On our first trip to the main dining room, my mother swiped her BB cabin card through the reader and we didn’t think much of it. The next day, however, I swiped my AC suite card and we were seated in a much better location. We learned pretty quickly not to use the BB cabin card at the restaurants.

Towards the end of our cruise, we decided to eat at the Italian restaurant at the last minute. We didn’t have a reservation, but we tried any way. The hostess told my mother that they were totally booked and that they couldn’t seat us. So I suggested to my mother that we just go back to our room and order off the restaurant menu. The hostess heard me and then asked what my cabin number was, so I told her. A few minutes later, we were seated at a very nice table in the restaurant. It’s funny; they must have had a last minute cancellation.

During the week, we learned that we could write just about anything on the breakfast room service card which our butler delivered in the morning. On our last night, we read in the ship’s daily newsletter, that only a continental breakfast would be served the next day. We mentioned this to the butler, but he told us that we could order what ever we wanted. We did, and he brought our breakfast as usual.

Also on the last night, they delivered VIP luggage tags. I had some left over, so I gave them to my mother. With the VIP luggage tags, our bags were right there when we got off, instead of buried in huge stacks around the terminal.

Thanks for all the great info...I love your sense of humor...you have a very entertaining way of sharing your experiences..thanks again!

If arriving together for embarkation in Seattle at Pier 66, they will usually let those you are travelling with join you in the VIP waiting room. However, we were told that for breakfast and/or lunch in Cagney's, that it was only for those guests in AE's and better.

You may certainly include them in your dinner reservations.

Butler service for breakfast, you may just order for four instead of two if the other couple is joining you in your suite.

Any snacks/meals that you order during the day from your butler, just double the order if they will be joining you.

I believe the Cagney's breakfast and lunch is for suite passengers only.

Have a great cruise:)

you mentioned sofa bed in suite.

Are you thinking about sharing with another couple?

I would never try that, and would do an adjoining balcony or something myself before making somebody sleep on that sofa.

Archived