Ali'l Kai Catamaran Dinner Cruise

the cruise is on

On Sept. 10, 2008 we will arrive in Honolulu to spend a few days before our cruise on the P of Am. My son and daughter-in-law would like to take a sunset dinner cruise. Originally, they planned to take the cruise offered in Maui, but after looking at our other excursions and time allotments, they have decided to do this while we are in Honolulu.

I did some research and found the Ali'l Kai Catamaran Dinner Cruise offered by Roberts. I wonder if anyone has taken this cruise? I would love to hear if whether or not you enjoyed yourself, or if you have other suggestions.

Son and daughter-in-law live a consider distance away from family and friends so the time they have away from their 2 year old is limited. I would like for them to have a nice evening, so any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

No responses to this question??? That's a little worrisome to me. With all of you folks living and traveling in Hawaii, I would have thought that someone would have some opinions on a good sunset cruise out of Honolulu.

Oh well, maybe my help will arrive!

I'm surprised there's no responses yet. We did a whale watching/dinner cruise once. SOOO disappointed with the service, food... everything.

Maybe have them go to a nice restaurant that people on the boards have suggested. There are so many great restaurants in Hawaii.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'm surprised at the lack of response.

We were in Honolulu for 10 days about 16 years ago. We, too, went on a dinner cruise and remember that the food was terrible. However, I am not sure that they are so concerned with the food as just the opportunity to get away and do something that they cannot do at home!

Maybe, if I am patient, some suggestions will come along! Patience is really not my best attribute!

This is not a definite answer to your question, but I have seen that boat many times on our trips to Hawaii, and I have always admired how nice looking and how well kept it seems to be. Not sure about the quality of the food, but know that any dinner cruise from Honolulu would be lovely, if only for the beauty of the sunset and being on the water!

On Sept. 10, 2008 we will arrive in Honolulu to spend a few days before our cruise on the P of Am. My son and daughter-in-law would like to take a sunset dinner cruise. Originally, they planned to take the cruise offered in Maui, but after looking at our other excursions and time allotments, they have decided to do this while we are in Honolulu.

I did some research and found the Ali'l Kai Catamaran Dinner Cruise offered by Roberts. I wonder if anyone has taken this cruise? I would love to hear if whether or not you enjoyed yourself, or if you have other suggestions.

Son and daughter-in-law live a consider distance away from family and friends so the time they have away from their 2 year old is limited. I would like for them to have a nice evening, so any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

I have done a few Sunset Cruises over the years and I went on the Ali'l Kai last time I was there and it was terrible. It is a very large boat and takes a lot of people and you felt like cattle and the food was just okay.

Unfortunately I can't remember the names of the other boats I have been on. Go for a smaller boat and the meal served to you rather than a buffet would be my advice.

We did the Alii Kai dinner cruise a few months ago for a company function. We had fun because we were with a great group, but the food was mediocre and the Hawaiian entertainment kind of hokey.

Something similar that I would recommend is taking one of the catamarans off of Waikiki beach for a cocktail sail. No need for a res. There are several; just walk on the beach and pick one that catches your eye. You do not get any Hawaiian entertainment, but the views are gorgeous and it is a much smaller venue and just more exciting.

If the couple wants to indulge and enjoy a romantic evening, have dinner at Orchid's at the Halekulani Hotel. Res a must. Exquisite views and very fine cuisine.

Aloha

I used to live in Hawaii and would often take Dinner cruises. Ali Kai was our favorite. None of the main stream Dinner cruises have great food. There is one that has lobster I beleive but I would hate to guess how much it would cost.

Thanks for the great suggestions. As I may have said, we were in Hawaii many years ago and took a sunset dinner cruise. I still remember how tough the steak was, but I also remember the wonderful view of the sunset and the island shore from the water.

We want this to be a special time for them, so maybe I will look into a restaurant dinner reservation for them, and suggest that they take a sunset cruise on one of the catamarans before they eat.

I knew I could find my answer here!

Thanks for the great suggestions. As I may have said, we were in Hawaii many years ago and took a sunset dinner cruise. I still remember how tough the steak was, but I also remember the wonderful view of the sunset and the island shore from the water.

We want this to be a special time for them, so maybe I will look into a restaurant dinner reservation for them, and suggest that they take a sunset cruise on one of the catamarans before they eat.

I knew I could find my answer here!

Hi "cruise is on" . . it's me again . . . dinner at Orchids would indeed be very special. Just as a tip, if they do the catamaran sail before Orchids, they may want to allow time to go back to the hotel to change. You get a bit wet and windblown on the sail (it is a large hobie cat) and your feet definitely get wet as you walk onto the cat directly from the sand. Orchids is very elegant, so they may want to get spiffed up before dining.

I can't let this topic go by with telling about one of our favorite activities. It was Captain bean's Dinner cruise in Kona, Big Island

The drinks were good, the food was OK, nothing spectacular, and the Polyneisian dancing was mildly entertaining.

Then, the yougest and smallest of the hula dancers got up in front of the band, and belted out a version of "Proud Mary" that would have put Tina Turner to shame. Most of the dancers also did a song or two, and by the time we docked, we were all dancing on the tables.

What a great time

Archived