Bringing your own Soda onboard

jamesnnb

We're going on the RCCL Vision of the Seas next week and have heard conflicting reports about whether or not you are able to bring either canned or bottled soda onboard. RCCL does not address this on their website or documents (per telcon with them today) BUT say their policy is you are NOT allowed to bring ANY soda/water of your own (not talking liquor here...just a couple cans of ginger ale). They agree it 'should' be on their site (i.e. NO SODA/WATER CAN BE BROUGHT ON AT ALL), but state their policy (even if not stated to the passenger) will prevail. Has anyone recently sailed on RCCL and tried to bring on a 6-pack of soda?

I know you can buy onboard -- it was more on the subject of carrying your own onboard. RCCL says NO. Why do you say 'YES' -- did you do so recently?

I was on RRCL Sovereign of the Seas Februrary 2008

Walked on with 2 2-liter bottles of diet coke - they were in plain view - nobody said anything.

I'm planning to bring them again in a few weeks - I'll let you know how that goes

Tara

Thanks, Tara. I'm thinking it's a policy-thing, so they have the right to say no, if someone is bringing a case of soda or water -- but if it's just a bottle or two, it's status-quo. We sail on the 20th, so maybe we'll give it a try.

We were on Radiance of the Seas on 3/15. We brought a case of 24 cans of soda onboard in our rolling carry-on. They opened it to check to see that it wasn't beer. As soon as they saw the soda cans, they zipped the bag up and let us through. We emptied the soda/water etc out of the fridge in our cabin (and told our cabin steward what we were doing). On the last day we put all the stuff back and gave the leftover sodas to our assistant waiter.

• 3 months later...

What about Carnival and bringing my own soda? I need to drink diet, caffeine free drinks but they can't have the artificial sweetners. The only one I have found it Diet Rite with Splenda. Needless to say, they won't stock this for one person. Even if I could buy it ahead and they could keep it in a specific bar and I would be charged a nominal fee, I would do that. I like 1 to 2 cans per day so on our 8 day cruise I would want 2 6 packs. Anyone out there have the answer to this one?

It's been a while since we've been on Carnival, but we always brought our own cans on the ship. Can't answer about now, but RCCL let us do it. We emptied the refrig in our cabin and stocked it with our own stuff. We had some leftovers at the end of the cruise and gave them to our servers and they were very appreciative.

Our group (sometimes up to 10 people) have never been stopped with 12 packs of soda.

"Other beverages" are usually put in the checked luggage. My brother-in-law had a 6 pack of Greek beer confiscated while returning to the ship from

Rhodes. All 6 bottles appeared in his room within the hour.

Everything depends on the crewmember you deal with and how you deal with them.

We've found pre-tipping our room steward makes a big difference in getting ice for our porable beverage coolers. This is especially true when you have several rooms together with the same room steward.

I remember from our Egypt port we were running back to the ship and make a quick stop for a 2 liter coke and brought that back to RCCL ship....all was fine..I think anything in moderation. But alcohol will be taken until the final day out. Although I heard you can bring wine on Princess? Is this true? thats unlike other ships?

Archived