Celebrity Summit Dining Questions

blackegg

Dear X Veterans:

In three weeks, we will board the Summit right after her dry dock in Southhampton. I am a platinum level on Princess and have sailed RCC and Carnival so am not a cruise newbie.

I go on a cruise to EAT. Cabin? -- that's nice... Ports? -- interesting... But where is the FOOD??!!??

My normal dining practice on a ship is to thus order... "Hhmmm...give me two shrimp cocktails with extra sauce, then appetizer #1 and appetizer #2, skip the salad, but I will take the French Onion soup and the cream of Garlic soup. For my main course, I'll take the Prime Rib medium rare and the Tiger Prawns." This is just dinner for me!

Every ship I sailed always keeps bringing the courses one after another. Will I have the same opportunity on the Summit? I have heard one person report that portions are smaller and another said, YIKES, they left the dining room hungry each night???

Do they frown on multiple course ordering in the dining room? Will I be the only one with the eight inch high pile of crab leg shells in the middle of the table? Will I be able to break my record number of lobster tails eaten?

Please HELP! I would hate to disembark the Summit emaciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Blackegg

I think you will find the same experience on Summit as you have found on other cruises. I for one did not like the salads, and just ordered two appetizers each evening to keep up with the tablemates--it was never an issue. I asked for different side dishes and that too was accomodated. I can guarantee that you will never leave the dining room hungry!

I assume Summit also has the sushi bar. We had late seating, and tried to stop by the sushi bar at about 6 for a snack. Decent variety and tasty--and somewhat of a healthy snack--beats a burger for sure.

You will be well fed and have no problems!

Cathy

You can eat until you explode if you like.

I tend to be a bit more moderate otherwise my speedo gets TOO tight and cuts off the circulation to my legs:D .

The one dissapointment I had on this past Century cruise was that they put multiple items on one serving plate. They used to serve everything individually. Maybe it was just a bad waiter or a fluke...but the worse was I ordered shrimp cocktail and crab salad. I thought the salad was coming after the shrimp, and had the asst. waiter put cocktail sauce in the container...to my surprise, there was shrimp salad underneath the shrimp....I also had ordered two entres and they came on one plate....I wasn't happy with the presentations, but as I said...maybe the waiter or kitchen staff was new....

Dave:eek:

If you cruise for the food, definitely try out the Normandie Restaurant. Fantastic food and impeccable service. You pay for what you order, so no multiple courses (unless you pay for them), but I left more than full (only was able to finish 1/2 of the dessert souffle).

You can eat until you explode if you like.

I tend to be a bit more moderate otherwise my speedo gets TOO tight and cuts off the circulation to my legs:D .

The one dissapointment I had on this past Century cruise was that they put multiple items on one serving plate. They used to serve everything individually. Maybe it was just a bad waiter or a fluke...but the worse was I ordered shrimp cocktail and crab salad. I thought the salad was coming after the shrimp, and had the asst. waiter put cocktail sauce in the container...to my surprise, there was shrimp salad underneath the shrimp....I also had ordered two entres and they came on one plate....I wasn't happy with the presentations, but as I said...maybe the waiter or kitchen staff was new....

Dave:eek:

On the Summit last month a lady at my table had the opposite problem. She ordered two of everything. No problem, but the waiter refused to bring it all on one plate. Each order had it's own plate.

OP, let me suggest if you want to do this, let the waiter know the first night. He or she will send over the matri'd and that person will take any special request you have. He or she can even bring you the next days menu and go over which items you would like more than one of.

Also if there is an item you would like more than one night. Ask them if you can pre-order it for the following night. I have been able to do this in the past on Celebrity. Creme Brulee is something you can pre-order to have each night. Any of the ice creams you can pre-order. I have also pre-ordered Mac and Cheese.

Do they frown on multiple course ordering in the dining room? Will I be the only one with the eight inch high pile of crab leg shells in the middle of the table? Will I be able to break my record number of lobster tails eaten?

I don't think crab legs are ever an offering on X. Other than that, you should be fine.

And I'd like to see the person who felt that portion size was too small. Given that it is a FIVE-COURSE MEAL, I actually thought the portions were too big. I skipped dessert most nights because I was usually pretty stuffed by the salad and had to choke the entree down...

I don't think crab legs are ever an offering on X. Other than that, you should be fine.

And I'd like to see the person who felt that portion size was too small. Given that it is a FIVE-COURSE MEAL, I actually thought the portions were too big. I skipped dessert most nights because I was usually pretty stuffed by the salad and had to choke the entree down...

I have to agree, no crab legs on X. Frog legs yes, but no crab legs.

I can't imagine anyone leaving hungry on any X cruise (or RCCL). There is plenty of food to appeal to everyone. If you want shrimp cocktail or escargo, or anything else every night, let them know. Sometimes I skip a course just to leave room for something else. I've seen people order more than one course at a time. I couldn't do it. I sort of roll out of the dining room every day.

After the first 10 days of our Mercury Aust/NZ cruise, my friend and tablemate turned to me and groaned (tongue in cheek), "I'm tired of eating!" :eek: Actually, I was feeling somewhat the same, not being used to multiple courses every meal. It didn't deter me from eating for the rest of the cruise, though. :D

We have two cruises booked for '09-- Galaxy to the S. Carib. in Jan. and Summit to the Med. for June. I'm already looking forward to the food!

I too skipped dessert only for fear that I would not want a waffle or four in the A.M.:D

Jim, I never left hungry following dinner and I do like to eat!!!

Have a great cruise!!

Barry

Archived