Enforcement of Cuiseline Policies (Smoking or otherwise)

cruzmaven

I agree but this is the quote from the policy:

Violations to Celebrity's smoking policy may result in a $250 cleaning fee charged to the guest's onboard account and may also be addressed through the line's guest conduct policy.

It seems that the only remedy available to them through the policy is disembarkation. By doing it through the guest conduct policy, the line would not be responsible to fly them home.

While this sounds good in theory ...in my opinion... it is just not going to happen. How would they ever have proof that someone smoked unless the person admitted it.

Celebrity would never be able to obtain the kind of evidence necessary to kick someone off a ship unless they witnessed the smoking. Since it is in the the privacy of the passenger's cabin ...how exactly would that happen? Cameras in the cabins? Be careful what you wish for and I'm a non-smoker.

Smells and smoke are way too easy to cover and eliminate. Unless they become the smoking police and conduct random unannounced bedroom checks where they demand entrance into your occupied cabin and conduct a sniff test... it is just unenforceable. Even if they were standing right next to you IN your cabin and smelled it ... it could be on the smoker who just returned from scurrying upstairs to smoke. As a non-smoker, I'm just offended that the whole policy is so ill-conceived and takes people for fools.

You just can't criminalize a legal activity. They catch people with drugs outside of private cabins because they can search luggage and even bodies looking for them ... it's just not the same with something that is legal.

It's not criminalising it. They are just saying that they do not want smoke in certain areas. how they enforce it is anyone's business but the other companies that do this seem to have managed.

I think that what would be necessary to get kicked off would amount to someone being told to put a smoke out in a public space and refusing continuously. They put families of kids who behave badly and who refuse to listen to security off from time to time, as one reads o the boards. That isn't criminal activity but they are able to do it.

It's not criminalising it. They are just saying that they do not want smoke in certain areas. how they enforce it is anyone's business but the other companies that do this seem to have managed.

I think that what would be necessary to get kicked off would amount to someone being told to put a smoke out in a public space and refusing continuously. They put families of kids who behave badly and who refuse to listen to security off from time to time, as one reads o the boards. That isn't criminal activity but they are able to do it.

In regards only to smoking IN THE CABIN, that's simply not the same thing. You can see a child behaving badly and prove it by catching them red-handed. You cannot prove someone smoked in their cabin with enough evidence to disembark them. I'm not talking about a public place ... obviously the rule can be enforced there.

The other hotels you think have managed it ... have done the same as Celebrity ... they made a rule to appease non-smokers but in the privacy of a paid for hotel room or stateroom there is just no way to possibly enforce it.

Adherence in hotel rooms is on a voluntary basis only. The big difference being that in most hotels with no-smoking rooms there are also smoking rooms available so the urge to break the rule is not there as often.

I despise policies that are made in name only just to make a company look good or think they look good.

Witnesses.....that was not the point, as I stated smoking on your balcony is forbidden, drinking is not, this guy wants to call security if he smells alchohol on someone's breath...

I would really like to see or hear about the first person who is confronted on a balcony for abusing the smoking policy. It will hardly ever happen. The only thing the new smoking policy will do is keep a few smokers from doing so, voluntarily, because they want to abide by the regulations. For the most part most will completely disregard the regulations without any fear of getting caught.

I could care less about people drinking on their balcony. It's their vacation & as long as their not causing a ruckus & disturbing everyone else.

In regards only to smoking IN THE CABIN, that's simply not the same thing. You can see a child behaving badly and prove it by catching them red-handed. You cannot prove someone smoked in their cabin with enough evidence to disembark them. I'm not talking about a public place ... obviously the rule can be enforced there.

I'm guessing the preponderance of evidence required is at Celebrity's discretion but if you read my posts, I said the disembarkation would likely be someone who refused to stop smoking in public areas.. What would someone do? Refuse to be thrown off the ship? I think that would amount to mutiny, which is illegal, criminally.

Actually, I just re-read my post and realized I hadn't said it. Sorry. I meant that the people being [theoretically] thrown off would likely be the types who refuse to butt out in a non-smoking public area.

The bottom line in all of this is that the passengers cannot enforce the policy. They can have altercations over it but one passenger cannot force another passenger to do anything.

Based on X's lack of enforcement of other policies, it not realistic to expect they will make much of an effort to enforce this one, except for one thing. I fully expect that in the first few months some passengers are going to be accused of smoking in their cabins and will see a "cleaning fee" of $250.00 added to their OBA. As some have suggested it would be nice if this fee went to the cabin steward but we all know that's not going to happen. We also know that when hit with this fee the reaction of the passenger is going to be not to tip. After being stiffed a few times, the cabin stewards are going to stop reporting any signs of smoking in the cabin and we'll be back to the status quo.

So, in the end, what we have is a tempest in a teapot. Nothing is going to change, not as far as the balconies and state rooms go anyway. Smokers are going to continue to smoke in their cabins and balconies, albeit discretely, and non-smokers are going to continue to ***** about it.

The only entity benefiting from the new "policy" is X who is hopefully getting some sort of break on their insurance.

Still, all in all, I'd rather be cruising. If my balcony neighbor wants to smoke, just buy me a few bottles of wine, I'll buy you a carton of Marlboros and we'll have some fun annoying the hell out of each other.:)

The bottom line in all of this is that the passengers cannot enforce the policy. They can have altercations over it but one passenger cannot force another passenger to do anything.

Based on X's lack of enforcement of other policies, it not realistic to expect they will make much of an effort to enforce this one, except for one thing. I fully expect that in the first few months some passengers are going to be accused of smoking in their cabins and will see a "cleaning fee" of $250.00 added to their OBA. As some have suggested it would be nice if this fee went to the cabin steward but we all know that's not going to happen. We also know that when hit with this fee the reaction of the passenger is going to be not to tip. After being stiffed a few times, the cabin stewards are going to stop reporting any signs of smoking in the cabin and we'll be back to the status quo.

So, in the end, what we have is a tempest in a teapot. Nothing is going to change, not as far as the balconies and state rooms go anyway. Smokers are going to continue to smoke in their cabins and balconies, albeit discretely, and non-smokers are going to continue to ***** about it.

The only entity benefiting from the new "policy" is X who is hopefully getting some sort of break on their insurance.

Still, all in all, I'd rather be cruising. If my balcony neighbor wants to smoke, just buy me a few bottles of wine, I'll buy you a carton of Marlboros and we'll have some fun annoying the hell out of each other.:)

What you're saying is logical but it presumes that either X really doesn't want to enforce this policy (as others have suggested) and are just doing it for PR purposes (although it's not going over real well with the smokers on this board) OR they haven't thought this through as thoroughly as your analysis just now. They know that the stewards live on tips and that the fine makes folks less likely to tip so if they really want to enforce this, they must have done some thinking around what happens to a room attendant when they have to fine someone. Who knows? Maybe the fine appears the last day on the final bill after they've been tipped? Wouldn't that be a kicker!?!?

Based on X's lack of enforcement of other policies, it not realistic to expect they will make much of an effort to enforce this one, except for one thing.

The RCI rep that just called me said they they will absolutely enforce the new rules!

That's exactly my point. X doesn't want to enforce ANY of its policies, except those that generate income. Which is why I expect there to be some fines initially. They institute the policies so they can tell passengers what the rules should be but then leave it up to the passengers to police each other - and that doesn't work, it only leads to confrontations. Hence every lounge being "reserved" by 9:30 AM despite the "no saving lounge chair policy", children in adult areas, etc., etc. While I do think that X would prefer passengers not to smoke in the cabins to protect their asset, when it comes to smoking causing discomfort of other passengers, I truly think they are indifferent. I believe they will impose fines as long as smoking in the cabin is reported by housekeeping (and keep the revenue) but I also believe the cabin stewards will stop reporting once they start losing tips.

I believe they will impose fines as long as smoking in the cabin is reported by housekeeping (and keep the revenue) but I also believe the cabin stewards will stop reporting once they start losing tips.

I agree with you mostly but any sane executive (???) would have to be crazy to think that a room attendant would do something like that which would wipe out their tips without compensating them somehow. Maybe it's the sane part that I'm presuming which is wrong.

Deeva, if you ask them I bet they'll say they enforce the lounge chair policy and dress code policies as well. What are they going to say? :D

That's a really good point. Before our first X cruise, I bought a blazer to comply with the informal dress code. It was the most pointless purchase, since many were in golf shirts, etc.

Schplinsky, if we want to impune rationality on the part of the X executives, the answer is for the cabin stewards to get the fine, or at least a percentage of it should the passenger not tip. And maybe that is what's going to happen. I have no problem with that until we all start getting accused of smoking in the cabin, or they start imposing fines for flushing too much toilet paper, or leaving the lights on when we're out, or otherwise causing depreciation of the cabin.

Well, I hope to see Celebrity enforce their new smoking policy the the same way Azamara has. I'm sure it will just be a matter of time, though, before we start seeing threads titled: "How to smoke in your john & not get busted" or "Do you stiff your cabin steward on tips for ratting you out to the puff not-zees?":rolleyes:

Agree with you completely! And while I am reading all the post about why don't we/me ( us smokers) just cancel and go somewhere else.......I can put the same question to the non smokers......why don't you cancel and go somewhere else where you won't have to listen to us whine!

I'm an ex-smoker and I'm getting a kick out of watching all the smokers squirm about this stricter smoking policy. It was just a matter of time before one cruise line started the ball rolling. I wouldn't doubt other cruise lines will follow in Celebrity's footsteps. Just give them time.

I quit smoking three years and three months ago for this exact reason. I got tired of having to go somewhere else to smoke a cigarette. Society frowns on smokers and the laws are really making it tough for smokers to enjoy that cigarette.

I'm an ex-smoker and I'm getting a kick out of watching all the smokers squirm about this stricter smoking policy. It was just a matter of time before one cruise line started the ball rolling. I wouldn't doubt other cruise lines will follow in Celebrity's footsteps. Just give them time.

I quit smoking three years and three months ago for this exact reason. I got tired of having to go somewhere else to smoke a cigarette. Society frowns on smokers and the laws are really making it tough for smokers to enjoy that cigarette.

The last time I checked, I still lived in a free country and smoking was not illegal. I can smoke if my home if I choose, without anyone telling me different. Society can frown all they want. I am allowed to smoke in smoking areas, so get over it.

If you don't like a cruise line's policies - change cruise lines. When you run out of cruise lines - land-based vacations are lovely.

For those who don't want to follow a policy . . . criminy (I secretly adore that word!) Just change cruise lines.

I have made note of the bittersons and the cruises they are planning. Can you imagine being stuck at a dining table with them?

I am sure the cruise lines can handle adherence to their own policies just fine without border patrols searching in every corner for some violation to make up for their bitterness and anger over some change in a policy that they don't like.

Its your vacation folks! It is to be enjoyed. Relax or change vacations!

Pronunciation: \vā-ˈkā-shən, və-\ Function: noun Usage: often attributive Etymology: Middle English vacacioun, from Anglo-French vacacion, from Latin vacation-, vacatio freedom, exemption, from vacare Date: 14th century 1: a respite or a time of respite from something : intermission

2 a: a scheduled period during which activity (as of a court or school) is suspended

b: a period of exemption from work recreation <had a restful vacation at the beach>

Can't we all just be considerate cruisers?I'm sorry that sounds so trite.I embarassed myself by posting earlier about people whos balconies we've shared who were not considerate cruisers.The couple on our Panama Canal cruise with the 2 month old colicky baby.They would go out on their balcony with the baby from 2:00 A.M until 6:00 A.M with the baby crying the whole time .We also experienced a Pacific Northwest Cruise with a lady that fed the seagulls muffins from the buffet.She loudly called the sea gulls in and while it did not ruin our cruise it did put a damper on it.Smokers have not ruined our cruise although we have been aware of it.The other two cases had more of an impact on our cruises.I hope those of you who read my previous posts get a better understanding of what I was trying to say.We don't care to see the food addicts ,the alcoholics ,but we never expected Celebrity to ban the smoking after people had booked their cruises.It's not really fair.We try to travel in a way that doesn't impact our fellow cruisers.We are a ship full of people with a common destination.We've all paid a lot of money for our cruise.Shouldn't we get to enjoy it in our own way?

Can't we all just be considerate cruisers?I'm sorry that sounds so trite.I embarassed myself by posting earlier about people whos balconies we've shared who were not considerate cruisers.The couple on our Panama Canal cruise with the 2 month old colicky baby.They would go out on their balcony with the baby from 2:00 A.M until 6:00 A.M with the baby crying the whole time .We also experienced a Pacific Northwest Cruise with a lady that fed the seagulls muffins from the buffet.She loudly called the sea gulls in and while it did not ruin our cruise it did put a damper on it.Smokers have not ruined our cruise although we have been aware of it.The other two cases had more of an impact on our cruises.I hope those of you who read my previous posts get a better understanding of what I was trying to say.We don't care to see the food addicts ,the alcoholics ,but we never expected Celebrity to ban the smoking after people had booked their cruises.It's not really fair.We try to travel in a way that doesn't impact our fellow cruisers.We are a ship full of people with a common destination.We've all paid a lot of money for our cruise.Shouldn't we get to enjoy it in our own way?

Hmmmm, I don't get all the hubbub. They didn't "ban the smoking". Folks are still welcome to smoke. There will be multiple places to imbibe.

Nothing has been banned.

Yes, it is a change. However, they are giving plenty of notice. I think 6 months is pretty adequate notice of a modification to their policy - this allows you to make other plans if it is truly an imposition.

Regardless - this thread is about enforcement. And I am certain they will have a plan for enforcement - and it won't be enough for some and will go overboard (no pun intended) for others.

Thank goodness they did give 6 months notice because I think it will take that long to get through these smoking threads and bitterness.

Archived