Considering Holland, Celebrity and Princess, have quick question

Bishopcfd

We have sailed on the DCL's Wonder, RCCL's Mariner of the Sea and NCL's Pearl. We want to do another cruise next year. We are considering one of the cruise lines in the title. I have a question regarding the ships we are looking at.

When comparing the three in the above paragraph, they each had their own charm. The ships we are looking at are: HAL's Westerdam, PCL's Crown Princess and Celebrity Solstice. How would one compare each of these ships to the one's we have previously sailed on.

I am not looking for info on food quality, service, etc. Just the ship in general, like size of room, cleanliness, feeling of being crowded, etc.

Thanks

I think they're pretty much equal in all ways. Of course, there's no way to tell about Solstice since she won't be in service until December. Even though she's part of Celebrity, there's no way of telling how she'll grade out until she's in service. We're on the maiden of Solstice, so I'll know more about that after our Dec 14 sailing.

The size of cabin depends on what category you book. But, we've been disappointed by the size of the rooms on Princess. Their mini suite was smaller than what we expected, and much smaller than comparable suites on RCCI and even Carnival. Crew to passenger ratio is supposed to be pretty good on Solstice, as is the passenger to space ratio. We found HAL to be more quiet with the older average age of their passengers---the ship was pretty quiet after 11 pm.

I would pick Westerdam for size of rooms and the least crowded feeling.It is built on the same hull as Carnival Spirit class but less passengers.Also if the budget will stand it the stern wraps are the best on any ship. (opinion)

The plaza are isn't as grand as RCL, but classy.

Princess prides itself on lots of little cozy spaces so it doesn't feel like 3000 passengers are on the ship. Just the way I like it. If you walk around deck during a sea day, there are A LOT of people out there...but there are SO many cozy spots, none feel like you are with so many.

VERY VERY clean.

We have had 1 interior/1 exterior on Star Princess. 160 sq. ft., I think. Very well appointed. PLENTY of storage. HUGE closet. Frankly we feel a room is for shower/sleep/:D . Beds suck.

On DCL we had a family suite for 5. We did not feel it was that much better for the expense. I think it is around 285 sq. ft. Hated the split bath, would have preferred one large bath. Cozy quarters for 5. Sucked that the balcony & the TV were on the side of the room where the kids slept.:confused: Bed VERY comfy.

How old are you? Traveling as couple or family?

HAL definitely has the oldest average customer.

Celebrity probably next.

Princess youngest of 3. On Oct. cruise, we felt most passengers were 35-60. Only 2 groups in 20s (some couples in 20s), a few children, certainly some older. Our March cruise had a large 20 something population and many more children.

Good luck! My folks (in early 60s) like Celebrity best, followed closely by RCCL and Princess, with NCL a distant fourth...but they still sail them!

Archived