Island Wings flight times - cutting it close?

Stout93

Our ship leaves Ketchikan at 5pm. We're looking into the Island Wings Misty Fjords National Monument trip from 2pm - 4pm. (that's the only time they have available).

Is the 4pm end time cutting it too close to the 5pm ship departure? Should we look at a different float plane operator and book with them? If so, who are the others that people would recommend.

Thanks for your time.

We have an excursion booked from 8-10 am with them, and the told us we would be back at the dock at 10:15, so you should be back at the dock by 4:15 (although I would confirm this with Island Wings to be safe). Are you docked or tendering in Ketchikan?

When I talked to them they said their noon to 2:00 would get us back in time for our 3:00 departure. They said in all their years they had not missed a ship yet. However, we were not comfortable with that time frame. For me, it would have been cutting it too close. I am not that much of a risk taker.

I think you'd be ok, but ask them before you book. They don't want a customer to get left by the ship!

I agree; call Shona and see what she says. I don't think there'd be a problem, barring any unforeseen extreme issues.

It's less than a 5 min van ride from where the plane lands to the ship.

Shona did send an email response to my inquiry.

She reiterated what a few of you said. That they've never had a customer miss their ship even though they're booking within 1 hour of the ships departure.

Thanks for your responses.

We have a trip with them booked and it seems very close as well, but they have assured us of being on time. My DH told them that we would have to be flown to the next port. Hope that does not happen. I am keeping the faith.

Having flown with Island Wings last August and spending a lot of time talking with Shona and Michelle I would have no problem booking another trip with them scheduled to get back in your timeframe. That's not something I would say very often.

Even though I would do it, your comfort level with it is all that really matters. If your ship is scheduled to leave port at 5 pm so you will be required to be back on board at 4:30. The sights you will see while flying with Michelle will be absolutely beautiful but if you'll spend your time preoccupied with being worried about getting back it probably won't be worth it for you. I hope you get to enjoy a marvelous trip with them !

Archived