Celebrity Solstice - November 30th, 2009 - Transatlantic

spikeya4

my first transatlantice was florida to london.. wrong way for me to go because the clocks kept changing to where yoga was an hour earlier every day... now I only like going from europe to america because I can stay up later and wake up later every day... liked the large steam and sauna facilities on RCL Navigator (would be nice with windows and recliners) does the solstice have nice facilities? Im deciding between NCL gem, solstice or navigator for november transcon.

Hello Chongkwang:

I hear you when you talk about transatlantic crossings. I love them too mostly for the sea days. I do at least one crossing per year. Lately, I have been lucky enough to do 2 per year; one eastbound and one westbound. I do prefer the westbounds for the extra hour. On my last eastbound, the time changed at noon so it is not like I lost an hour while I was asleep.

The Solstice does have quite nice sauna facilities. I am booked on this westbound crossing from Rome in November since April 2008. Just made my final payment. Going with a large group of friends and some of their family members. The showers are the most spacious that I have ever seen. Complete privacy in each shower hidden behind a frosted glass door.

The Navigator has one of the largest spa facilities on board any ship. All of the Voyager class ships have large facilities. Quite busy on a crossing if you know what I mean. While they do not have windows facing out to sea, they do have windows with slats that allow daylight to come into the sauna. You could look out but you cannot look in. I did this crossing this past April and I am booked again for April 2010.

I have not sailed NCL so I cannot comment on their facilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All-

Joining my partner Walter on this sailing. Just wanting to post and say hello to everyone. The Soltice is a beautiful ship and can't wait to sail with her again.

Juan: my first post on the boards since our last E. Caribbean cruise last year! Would be great to see you again. Sorry to hear about you and Oscar. Hope the single life is treating you well.

Ben

We have exactly 2 months to go before we depart from Rome on the Solstice. I cannot believe that no one is posting. Is anyonce excited?

Juan

hey all,

Of course, I'm excited about going. I'm just shy of 7 weeks before leaving for Rome.

Looking forward to meeting some more guys onboard. Maybe FOD will be offered more than once, like it was on a Princess cruise last summer.

Ciao for now,

Michael :cool:

Hello Ben: You have not posted for one year? Wow! I don't live here but I do visit and post frequently. As you can see, I have over 1100 posts and I've only been a member since 2004. Single life is treating me well so far; I have not looked back. In the process of buying a new home so I guess that means all is going well.

Michael: I would not be surprised if FOD's were listed every night. The place to be is the Martini Bar. You'll find the majority of us there. Even then, after a few days of sailing and meeting the rest of us, I am sure that we will have a defacto meeting bar on board.

Juan

Hi Everyone...wanted to post as well. Ben and I have been actively planning on what to do in Rome and looking at excursions. I too love the idea of turning the clock back so many different nights. Juan, glad you are doing well. I do agree that the Martini bar is the place to be. I like the fact that so many of us are from different parts of the world.

Still counting down the days...

Walter

Hello Ben: You have not posted for one year? Wow! I don't live here but I do visit and post frequently. As you can see, I have over 1100 posts and I've only been a member since 2004. Single life is treating me well so far; I have not looked back. In the process of buying a new home so I guess that means all is going well.

Michael: I would not be surprised if FOD's were listed every night. The place to be is the Martini Bar. You'll find the majority of us there. Even then, after a few days of sailing and meeting the rest of us, I am sure that we will have a defacto meeting bar on board.

Juan

hey juan,

I've read other posts re: the martini bar. One person commented saying it was really a cool place, but needed to be larger. Guess we'll be rubbing shoulders, which isn't a bad thing..LOL

7 more weeks and I'm in Rome! :cool:

Ciao for now,

M

Michael:

I do agree that the Martini Bar may be too small. I don't think Celebrity ever imagined that it would be so popular. I remember when I was first on the Solstice that it was sometimes difficult to walk around the bar due to the large amount of people. And this was before dinner! And it really is a cool place. I have never seen anything like it on another ship or on land for that matter. Nothing wrong with rubbing shoulders! ;)

Juan

still 7 weeks and the cruise beginns.

The rainy seasons starts at home and I m glad to go to the sun.

I know the ship from last TA in April and i look forward to come back.

Definitly, the Martini Bar ist the best place, we celebrate there many times a party

I like the Apple Martini

Hope see you guys there

Stefan

Stefan:

Seven weeks before we depart? I had to go and check my calendar just to be sure and you are right. I cannot believe that we are only seven weeks away. Our departure is much closer than I thought. I cannot wait. Definitely the Martini Bar is the place to be. I cannot remember what was the Martini that I enjoyed the most.

Juan

PS

Greetings All,

Last night, I found out that my friend, on the east coast, secured a limo (via our TA) for transportation from Rome to Civ. So, be on the look out for 10 "queens" arriving in style at the port. Here I was planning to drag all my luggage onto a train. Not anymore!

Yes, 6 weeks from this Thursday, and I fly to Rome. Can't wait!:D

Ciao bello e bella,

Michael

Hi Michael:

Glad to hear that you are traveling with a group of 10 queens. Shall we call this cruise the "Royal Solstice Crossing"? This means that there will be enough of us to have our own little late night drinking and dancing groups or parties. I am leaving the US on 11/28, spending one day in Rome, and then "limoing" to Civitavecchia on Monday the 30th. I take it that we will be getting there around 1 PM. If I see the limo with the queens, I'll know it is you.

Juan

Alert: There are now Resident discounts for selected states for this cruise, so you should check to see if you qualify, and call your TA for a price correction. As a rule, Celebrity honors prices reductions; the discounts will be given back as On Board Ship credit. More money for drinks and tours!

So check the website and make the call!

Hi,

I've just booked on this cruise. I'm a 50 year old Aussie & will be sailing solo - my partner and I take separate overseas holidays as one of our Boston terriers can't be kennelled (refuses to eat if we both leave him).

Anyway, I'm a bit nervous about sailing on my own - but now feel a lot better having found this thread. (We did a Carnival cruise some years back and we were the only ones who turned up at FOD night! We felt very alone)

I'll be in Rome a couple of days before the cruise and was thinking of catching the train to the port. If anyone is interested in sharing the cost of a cab, please let me know. Similarly, if anyone is interested in sharing the cost of shore excurions let me know too.

Anyway, looking forward to meeting all of you.

Regards

Mark

I'm a bit nervous about sailing on my own - but now feel a lot better having found this thread.

Mark:

Rest assured that you have nothing to be concerned about when you refer to sailing solo. I have done many cruises and transatlantic crossings alone and have never had anything short of a great experience and a fantastic time. By the time you get off the ship in Fort Lauderdale, I am sure that you will have made many friendships.

Looking forward to meeting you,

Juan

Now we have two Aussies named Mark and both are 50 and traveling solo. What a coincidence.

I am not Aussie but I am 50 and traveling solo also. Looking forward to meeting both of you as well as everyone else on this roll call.

Juan

PS Almost 4 weeks to go!:) Pretty soon it will be time to start packing.

Hi Everyone...can't believe the cruise is getting so close. Would be fun if we could plan on our own sailaway party at the sunset bar around 5. I know there willl be many FOD gatherings too at the Martini bar during this cruise. Counting down the days!!

Walter

Greetings All,

Welcome Mark & Mark, the men from down under.

I'm in my early 50's and traveling solo. Trust me, you will not be alone on this cruise. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone who shows up for the FOD gathering. Hect, I'm sure my Gaydar won't disappoint me throughout the cruise!:D

Ciao for now,

Michael :cool:

Another solo in the early 50's! That makes 4 of us so far. From my experience on Celebrity, the gaydar is not always necessary. Just follow your nose to the Martini Bar and we will all be there.

I know Walter and Ben have been onboard the Solstice before (as well as I). We were all onboard the Solstice's 3rd voyage last December. Anyone else been onboard before?

We depart 30 days from today!!!

Juan

Archived