Alaska cruise, rough seas?

daisy7889

Hi, we are going on our first Alaska cruise in July on the Mercury (Inside Passage), and I was just wondering if anyone knows whether it tends to be a rougher or smoother voyage? Just wondering how many seasick pills to take along!!:) Thanks for your help.

A good choice of ship, month and itinerary. In July on a an Inside Passage cruise you should have pretty smooth seas. There is a chance of some seas when you cross Queen Charlotte Sound, Dixon Entrance and when you come around Prince of Wales Island on your return. However in each instance you are dealing with only a few hours and you may not notice it at all. Have a great cruise!

I've cruised to Alaska 12 times. On one cruise (September 2007) it was stormy from 10pm to 6am, with the ship tossing and turning like an Amusemant Park Funhouse, and on two other cruises the ships rolled a little bit, but the other nine cruises were just smooth sailing. The odds are in your favour that you'll be just fine, especially during July.

Hey, I'll also be on Mercury in July (the 6th)!

Donald.

Late August through September are the roughest times. That’s when the Pacific Storms start moving ashore bringing the hi winds and bad weather. My parents a couple of years ago were on the Millennium in the first week of September and for 2 days my mom never left the cabin it was so rough. They said the first night the DR had to close as they couldn’t keep the plates on the tables. I have gone in July and June and had seas like glass. It is like cruising anywhere it can get rough without any warning even in the Caribbean and Mediterranean seas. Last November during our passage through the straights of Haiti on our way to Aruba we had a day and a half of the roughest seas I have seen in the Caribbean.

I think terrydtx is referrencing a cruise that goes up the west side of Vancouver Island, that while is marketed as an Inside Passage Cruise is not because it is out in the open Pacific for a good part of the voyage. However the Mercury sails what is a full Inside Passage routing on the east side of Vancouver Island and in July for the most part should be quite calm.

Archived