Pride. Fjords and what to wear

keltic

Jane, I always really enjoy your writings and am especially looking forward to hearing all about the Baltic cruise, as we will be there next year! :D Hope to hear all about it in GREAT detail!

As you said it is quite Port intensive so we wont miss getting dressed up for the Formal nights at all......must order the chocolate coated ice cream balls for Room Service though! Dont want to miss out on those.

Thanks all again. No problem with shorts; no for the Fjords :-) As I seeing it´s what I expected

I would certainly bring at least one pair of shorts! Weather is unpredictable as stated before, but that also means you could end up in a minor heat wave. The hottest day we ever had was in Oslo of all places. A little later in the year however. You don't have to be too pessimistic about the weather, sometimes it can be very mild.

Good luck!

Marja

This was posted by Yvonne over on the CCL BB:

>" just read (here on Cruise Critic - on the front page) that Carnival is changing their dress code this spring. They will allow jeans, long dress shorts and men will not be "required" to wear jackets on "formal" nights. It is still "suggested" but not a requirement, just dress pants and shirt.

I'm thrilled with the change. I'm really getting tired of lugging the garment bag along with formal clothes, and now that the airlines are charging extra for that second bag it's even better!!

I wonder how long it will be before other lines change their dress codes too."

Couldn't resist sharing this. As someone (reallly more than one poster) said, that there is no place for jeans in a formal dining room. I had to reply that I do not consider a dining room where the waitstaff sings and dances with funny hats a formal dining room. I shall probably be drawn and quartered over there.

________

From my experience on the Legend crossing considering shorts in the Restaurant at lunch:

It is, indeed, as JaneBP mentioned earlier: it's hard to regulate. :) The only "dress code" mentioned online, in the FAQ section, states (I'm paraphrasing here...you can find it): "Elegent casual" is best (my emphasis) in the Restaurant for lunch. (I looked it up! :eek: :D ;) )

Enforcing the issue is difficult when the "hords" from Trivia come in straight from the "battles" in their shorts, without changing beforehand. At that point, it's not possible for the Maitre D' to enforce the "suggested" dress code at lunch....

The first diner into the Restaurant one day at lunch was "alerted" (very tactfully) on his way in that shorts were not appropriate (and that some guests had voice complaints!). However, when agreeing to return to his cabin to change, he was told that it was "okay" for the moment, but to please dress accordingly on succeeding days....

Horse's mouth, here...(or from the Assistant Maitre D', at any rate!)

It might be better if SB stated more clearly not just what "was best", but what isn't allowed. Of course, swim wear & t-shirts are clearly designated as such....

Just my experience....

Paul :)

perhaps we should look at it from a different angle everyone on the boards raves about the crew and how hard they work, if after trivia everyone that wanted to eat in the restaurant was forced to go and change from shorts (which I find amazing as I have always eaten in the restaurant at lunch time in shorts on numerous SB cruises) this would delay entering the resturant till say approx 1.30 pm which would entail the hard working crew staying longer to accomodate all the late dinners.

I must say that it does sound incrediably pompous to have to dress for lunch, yes i agree to dress for dinner but for lunch?

I can't believe that the dress code changed so dramatically from my cruise which ended the week before the crossing

deb

The first diner into the Restaurant one day at lunch was "alerted" (very tactfully) on his way in that shorts were not appropriate (and that some guests had voice complaints!). However, when agreeing to return to his cabin to change, he was told that it was "okay" for the moment, but to please dress accordingly on succeeding days....

Horse's mouth, here...(or from the Assistant Maitre D', at any rate!)

That is ridiculous. I hope the "alerted" shorts-wearer complained to the hotel manager of this arbitrarily enforced policy (if it even is a policy).

perhaps we should look at it from a different angle everyone on the boards raves about the crew and how hard they work, if after trivia everyone that wanted to eat in the restaurant was forced to go and change from shorts (which I find amazing as I have always eaten in the restaurant at lunch time in shorts on numerous SB cruises) this would delay entering the resturant till say approx 1.30 pm which would entail the hard working crew staying longer to accomodate all the late dinners.

I certainly agree...!!

That is ridiculous. I hope the "alerted" shorts-wearer complained to the hotel manager of this arbitrarily enforced policy (if it even is a policy).

He almost did...but waited to do "research" onboard & online. The next day friends had questioned the "policy" (seeing a dining room full of gentlemen in shorts!) and it was explained to them how improbable it was to turn so many guests away entering "en masse" from Trivia. The poor fellow first reprimanded(!) was just the "fresh meat" for example-setting, I guess, by being first to arrive....!! :eek: ;) (And for the rest of the cruise, he wore long pants for lunch in the Restaurant, although many did not....!)

So, I guess you "can" get away with wearing shorts in the Restaurant for lunch, if you time it right(!), but it's apparent that SB would "prefer" that you not.... ["Elegant casual is best in the Restaurant"]

I certainly agree...!!

He almost did...but waited to do "research" onboard & online. The next day friends had questioned the "policy" (seeing a dining room full of gentlemen in shorts!) and it was explained to them how improbable it was to turn so many guests away entering "en masse" from Trivia. The poor fellow first reprimanded(!) was just the "fresh meat" for example-setting, I guess, by being first to arrive....!! :eek: ;) (And for the rest of the cruise, he wore long pants for lunch in the Restaurant, although many did not....!)

So, I guess you "can" get away with wearing shorts in the Restaurant for lunch, if you time it right(!), but it's apparent that SB would "prefer" that you not.... ["Elegant casual is best in the Restaurant"]

Whoever instigated the "example setting" session should be disciplined and provide Mr. "Fresh Meat" with an apology for selective enforcement of an ambiguous "policy". From your comments, he was intimidated into a different behavior than was expected of others. That is wrong.

I think it's just plain disingenuous for Seabourn to expect me to change for lunch when often, there is no room for me in the Veranda. The conversion there has not expanded the numbers that much. I admit to being one of the hordes from Trivia, but that varies cruise to cruise.

I do think that bathing suits even with generous cover-ups should be avoided, however. Set standards for dinner and leave it at that.

The whole incident seems a bit weird to me....as we were oboard for 85 days.....half of them were spent at breakfast and lunch in the Dining room....in shorts.....not me...the other half! Never a word was said......and as Jane said, often the Veranda was so packed there were no seats...so what do we do...starve? :eek: On Seabourn? :eek: :eek:

I have also lost my luggage several times. Once was back in ten days later, and it´s really surprising to see how we could survive. Unless we attrackt the attention in a deliberate way, I think most of passengers, simply don´t care what the others wear, and can´t remember how many times, Mr A o B used the same shirt on a cruise.

I know in Seabourn it´s a bit easier, for the size but anyway, it´s easy to travel in confort, style and in a light way. As far as I am concerned, no shorts (I never use them), decent new jeans for the excursions. I usually never get into any restaurant without a long sleeve shirt, but I am affraid I will try to wear jeans into the verandah in luch time.

I think I have got the glimpse of it, but the "layer concept" clothing (to avoid the temperature changes), still confuses me a little bit. Northwest of Spain where I live is changable but not in such amount. If weather keeps decent, I think a light coat with a couple of thin pullover will do. If there´s a kind of heat in the afternoon, cold in the morning, that´s a bit more complicated.

Swimming suit?. In the Fjords?. I suppose no marina sporting facilities in the Fjords in this case. Anyway, formal nights are easy for gentlemen. Tuxedo and a suit with different informal shirts for the the rest of the night is just perfect. Thanks again all.

Interesting debate indeed. I have given the cabin. It´s a B category, and I trying to know what´s the Balcony like. Full one, or simple a window from the floor to the ceiling?.

I keep reading these posts and am amazed. We have been on Seabourn a lot, and never have I seen anyone turned away in the Verandah lunch. I have witnessed many transgressions that have been over-looked..the one that surprised me...bikinis with a thin cover-up. My husband ALWAYS wears shorts to lunch and breakfast. Could it be that we are always in warm climates..thus the difference? Lolaicon5.gif

I cannot believe Seabourn tried to enforce a (news to me) no-shorts in the dining room for lunch. I'd love to know which employee did this, and made the poor passenger feel uncomfortable. Totally not acceptable.

Jane, your quite the expert on nudist cruises... Anything you want to share??? :D

>"Jane, your quite the expert on nudist cruises... Anything you want to share???'

LOL! Just so happened that the NYT travel section had an article on clothing optional vacations. Thought dressing for dinner was a nice touch, but not so sure about breakfast and lunch and what about the staff????

However. the weekend of my 50th birthday was spent at the clothing optional end of Robert Moses State Park on Long Island......

We will soon be departing on our second month long Seabourn cruise. Our last cruise was in the Mediterranean, with very hot weather. On true casual nights (not Elegant Casual nights), most men and women were in "khakis" (khaki trousers). Our upcoming cruise is to Norway/British Isles, with cooler weather. Would nice corduroy trousers be an acceptable alternative to khaki trousers for true casual nights, or would they be too casual?

Many thanks.

I cannot believe Seabourn tried to enforce a (news to me) no-shorts in the dining room for lunch. I'd love to know which employee did this, and made the poor passenger feel uncomfortable. Totally not acceptable.

Imagine having to be nice to the passengers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It must take a special type of person to do that. I wonder how many of us could it?

How many people have been looked up and down by service staff on land and then been?:

1. Ignored

2. Sent to purgatory in the form of a table near the bathrooms.

3. Treated in condescending manner.

Its not human nature to be nice to people 100% of the time, and based on the way some people treat the staff on the ship (from the writings here), I'm surprised they dont crack more often.

The server probably just had some French blood in him and couldn't resist an easy American target;) .

Imagine having to be nice to the passengers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It must take a special type of person to do that. I wonder how many of us could it?

How many people have been looked up and down by service staff on land and then been?:

1. Ignored

2. Sent to purgatory in the form of a table near the bathrooms.

3. Treated in condescending manner.

Its not human nature to be nice to people 100% of the time, and based on the way some people treat the staff on the ship (from the writings here), I'm surprised they dont crack more often.

The server probably just had some French blood in him and couldn't resist an easy American target;) .

If I had been:

1. Ignored

2. Sent to Purgatory in the form of a table near the bathrooms

3. Treated in a condesending manner

I would NOT have been on a Seabourn Ship!

Host Dan

PS I am 100% French, and wouldn't even consider such behaviour :(

So fill me in...

Dan, what I was trying to say was that anyone can have a bad day, including the wonderful staff on Seabourn and that maybe the person who "enforced" the no shorts rule at lunchtime was just having a bad day.

Sorry about the French comment. I must learn to be more pc and not subscribe to stereotypes:( .

Steve.

Paul (Memphis), just making sure you know my intention was not to shoot the messenger! Cands, I agree with you - I think the SB ass. maitre d' (granny's term:D ) must have been having a bad day; that said, I believe we agree it does not justify the action. Seabourn hires a very talented group of people - they deal with people, who I would suggest, are a bit more demanding than the populace at large. HDan, the rude French stereotype is not accurate - I have experienced "touristic" hospitality in all parts of France. I could provide my own list of rude nationality stereotypes, but that would just be my opinion!

johnny

Archived