Can anyone help me with travel insurance?

CFitzRN

I'm really sorry, but I've spent the last several days looking through the various travel insurance options and my head is swimming! :confused: If any of you has advanced knowledge of the different insurance options, I would be so grateful if you would help me make the decision as to which company/plan to go with.

First, there are 7 of us traveling - ages 44, 43, 19, 18, 17, 14 & 10

It has been longer than 15 days since I paid our deposit. I paid the balance on the trip today.

None of us has pre-existing conditions except for me - I have 2 bulging disks in my back.

We are driving to Tampa and will not be flying at any time or using rental vehicles.

Our total cost including everything is about $10,000.

THANK YOU SO MUCH if you can help me sort this out!

I'm really sorry, but I've spent the last several days looking through the various travel insurance options and my head is swimming! :confused: If any of you has advanced knowledge of the different insurance options, I would be so grateful if you would help me make the decision as to which company/plan to go with.

First, there are 7 of us traveling - ages 44, 43, 19, 18, 17, 14 & 10

It has been longer than 15 days since I paid our deposit. I paid the balance on the trip today.

None of us has pre-existing conditions except for me - I have 2 bulging disks in my back.

We are driving to Tampa and will not be flying at any time or using rental vehicles.

Our total cost including everything is about $10,000.

THANK YOU SO MUCH if you can help me sort this out!

:cool: Right now on the ask "cruise question" board there is a good insurance talk going on:)

I normally buy what is offered through my travel agent. Not looking for complete and total coverage but just enough to help with a catastrophe...more importantly if I have to cancel at the last minute due to an ill parent....

I normally buy what is offered through my travel agent. Not looking for complete and total coverage but just enough to help with a catastrophe...more importantly if I have to cancel at the last minute due to an ill parent....

I noticed, though, that most of the plans (actually, all of the ones I saw) only offer $1000 for trip cancellation! That's just a drop in the bucket compared to what I paid. And if the insurance is somewhere around $300-$400 - it really doesn't seem worth it. ??

I noticed, though, that most of the plans (actually, all of the ones I saw) only offer $1000 for trip cancellation! That's just a drop in the bucket compared to what I paid. And if the insurance is somewhere around $300-$400 - it really doesn't seem worth it. ??

christy, the plan MUST cover the cost of my trip or you are correct it isn't worth it. I want the cost of the trip and some kind of medical airlift coverage as well...good luck, there are a million and one policies out there.

I just got an e-mail from insure my trip dot com. This is the company I use. They have added a cancel for any reason (for a price)....the biggest expense is if someone in your group gets hurt or has a medical emergency and needs to be airlifted.....Call them and ask your questions and they will fit you with the best insurance for what you tell them.....

Was that $1000 per person?

Was that $1000 per person?

Yes, per person. But still... it's a lot less than what we paid for the trip. It should cover the cost of the trip, I would think.

(thanks to those of you responding, I appreciate it!)

We are covered with Travel Insured and it covers the cost of the trip.

With the cost of airfare these days I wouldn't travel without it.

If something happens to you and you have to be airlifted it can cost thousands of dollars.

We are covered with Travel Insured and it covers the cost of the trip.

With the cost of airfare these days I wouldn't travel without it.

If something happens to you and you have to be airlifted it can cost thousands of dollars.

Can you do me a favor and check the provisions of the policy for cancellation coverage? I did a huge side-by-side comparison and the best I saw was $1000 for cancellation (per person). Cancellation is one of the biggest risks in my opinion, yet they only offer $1000 pp for it. If yours is higher, please let me know (and if it's admissible, the name of the carrier would be great). Thanks

Christy, I went to insuremytrip dot com, entered information based on your statements (the ages, $10,000 total cost of trip, cruise [assumed it was 7 days to Caribbean since you're driving to Tampa], residence in NC) and checked off the cheapest plans for comparison. Every single plan that I looked at had $1429 ($10,000 divided by 7) as the amount of cancellation insurance.

Christy, I went to insuremytrip dot com, entered information based on your statements (the ages, $10,000 total cost of trip, cruise [assumed it was 7 days to Caribbean since you're driving to Tampa], residence in NC) and checked off the cheapest plans for comparison. Every single plan that I looked at had $1429 ($10,000 divided by 7) as the amount of cancellation insurance.

:eek:

WHAT am I doing wrong?? Ugh. I'll have to go back and try again. Thanks.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I did figure it out, and decided to go with Travelite by Travelex. It just seemed to have all the components we were looking for, and the best part is that its coverage is primary, not secondary. *phew* - glad to be done with that!!

:cool:

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I did figure it out, and decided to go with Travelite by Travelex. It just seemed to have all the components we were looking for, and the best part is that its coverage is primary, not secondary. *phew* - glad to be done with that!!

:cool:

I just did a check with insuremytrip.com and was going to suggest the policy you bought.It was $303.00. It also has 21 days from booking to cover pre existing and has primary coverage.

We have used them in the past and they have quickly.

Bill

I just did a check with insuremytrip.com and was going to suggest the policy you bought.It was $303.00. It also has 21 days from booking to cover pre existing and has primary coverage.

We have used them in the past and they have quickly.

Bill

Good to know - thanks Bill!

Archived