Empress of the Seas Bermuda 9/26

We just returned on Saturday from Bermuda. The island is as beautiful as always but this ship really is past it's prime. I feel bad for RCCL beacuse a lot of people who were first timers on RCCL said that they will not come back. I tried to tell them not to judge the whole line by this one old ship so I hope that they listen. I also hope that Royal Caribbean listens because this ship is dragging down the whole fleet. the crew is wonderful but the ship is soo small and outdated. If you have any specific questions about the ship I will try and answer them. By the way, the food was wonderful as usual and Portifino's is a must!

I found the ship very tired looking and it did not have all of the ammenities of the newer ships. The TV did not work right, I never was able to retreive my email, they gave me credit for trying and they knew that there was a problem. Also, the cabin was the smallest of any ship I have ever been on. The bathroom was a real challenge trying to shower and we are normal sized people, I don't know how larger people even fit in the bathroom. On the positive side, Portifino's food was outstanding and the service was wonderful, worth the extra cost.

We also were on the Empress recently. The staff and crew were absolutely outstanding. I have to agree that the ship is a little outdated. Supposedly it underwent a big refurbishment. The tan carpeting outside the elevators on each floor was very stained---and I mean major stains---we were told they replaced the carpeting recently. Also, our room had some actual chunks out of the moulding along the floor---looked like someone took a chisel to it. And there was a major problem with nonfunctioning elevators---we just ended up taking the stairs every where we went.

But, . . . the outstanding service helped overshadow the condition of the ship.

Hi, I was on the Empress 9/18/04, the ship is small, but I think it is beautiful, yes they don't feature all the specialties of the larger ships, but, at least she can sail into all of Bermuda. The larger ships can only go to the dockyard. I do agree the rooms are very tiny, half the time I was living out of my suitcase. I had a wonderful time, except the first night. The ocean was wicked and we couldn't get into St. George, but all in all I had a wonderful time. The food was good, the service was good. I feel sorry for any first time cruiser who went out that date. Next year the Empress won't be going out of NJ, the only choices we have is the Zenith, Horizon or I think the Voyager, but the voyager is only going to go for 5 days. I love the Empress and I am really upset that she will not be sailing to Bermuda anymore. All the big ships will only be going to the dock yard.

(I am talking about RCCL or Celebrity) I don't know about the other cruiselines.:D

Hi, I was on the Empress 9/18/04, the ship is small, but I think it is beautiful, yes they don't feature all the specialties of the larger ships, but, at least she can sail into all of Bermuda. The larger ships can only go to the dockyard. ... Next year the Empress won't be going out of NJ... I love the Empress and I am really upset that she will not be sailing to Bermuda anymore. All the big ships will only be going to the dock yard.

(I am talking about RCCL or Celebrity) I don't know about the other cruiselines.:D

I too was on the sailing 9/18 (Hi Mic!) and thought the ship was great! Small enough that you could get from the Strike up the Band Lounge to dinner in Carmen without too much trouble. As for the larger ships, while the Dockyard is OK it certainly is out of the way and a lot of trouble getting to Hamilton or St. George. Guess I'll check to see if the NCL Majesty is going to Bermuda next year if I want to see my beautiful island again!

• 2 weeks later...

We were also on the 9/18 Empress. Thought the ship size was just right; prefer this over the huge ships. Even in the dining room, the food was much better than we expected, and Portofino's food was great, although the waiters were not the best in Portofino's. Even though we missed docking at St. George because of the winds, it was easy to get to St. George by ferry from the Dockyard, and a nice ride besides. Some cabins are rather small, but we had a JS at the stern with a large balcony that more than compensated for the cabin size.

Sorry to butt in, I'm new to the boards and not sure if this is poor etiquette, but would you be able to tell me if the balcony on the junior suite was suitable for two people to have breakfast?

I'm new to cruising, I have an Alaska cruise booked for next May and I'm trying to book a cruise to the Caribbean for Feb 2006, Empress of the Sea seems to have the best itinerary for us but I'm absolutely desparate to have breakfast with my partner on our balcony!

We were just on the 10/2 sailing and didn't think the ship looked "worn" at all.

Small, yes but we prefer that over the huge ships sometimes and knew this ahead of time and rarely spent much time in our ourside cabin which had ample space for two.

It was my second favorite ship next to, in this order, RC Enchantment, Carnival Triumph and Carnival Destiny.

Carpet on the pool deck, as the rest of the ship all looked brand new to me and saw them shampooing and cleaning carpets almost daily.

Are you sure we were on the same ship? lol

The crew was the best we have ever encountered and also contributed to our high opinion of the 8 night cruise to Bermuda.

You have probably seen my other posts where me, along with some other Empress fans are doing an "SOS" (Save our Ship) campaign and trying to convince RC to bring the Empress back for 7 and 8 night Bermuda sailings or at least another ship for 2006 instead of the 5 night Voyager sailings.

Nirrakel,

Sorry, I can’t answer your question about the Empress balconies in general because our junior suite was one of those at the very stern of the ship that have unusually large balconies (compensated for by smaller cabins, but same price as other js). Of course if you can get one of those, you will absolutely have plenty of room for breakfast -- there was more than enough room for two chaise lounges, two chairs, and a table. I’ve had regular balconies on other ships, some small, some smaller, some not as small, but all have had room for at least two chairs and a table and, therefore, breakfast for two. Or lunch. Or drinks. That’s one of the nicest things about having a balcony. And I agree with the previous poster that the ship is in fine shape; I would sail her again with the right itinerary, without hesitation.

I,too was on that ship to Bermuda!!!...Loved it!!..The only problem i had was the creaking coming from the walls in an inside cabin...Don't know if that was from old age or just something being lose!!;)...The ship sure doesn't look too old!!!

Archived