Shipping formalwear from ANC?

erhoffer

A question for experienced Alaska cruisers ---

Does it make sense for us to ship our formalwear home from Seward or Anchorage before we set out on a trains/bus land tour through Denali and Fairbanks? I thought we could get the rest of our luggage down to the 25-30 lb limit for the bus to the Denali backcountry, but no way with tuxes, gowns and shoes.

Any convenient post offices in Seward or Anchorage?

thanks for the feedback

- Erin

You don't need that stuff for an Alaskan cruise! Much less formal than warm water cruises. With the new airline baggage charges, most people are trying to stay with ONE bag.

I never have taken and never will take formal wear on an Alaskan cruise. Just won't happen.

Don't fall for the marketing! It is Alaska! You have a very busy port schedule. Most people are too worn out to get all fancy.

You don't need that stuff for an Alaskan cruise! Much less formal than warm water cruises. With the new airline baggage charges, most people are trying to stay with ONE bag.

I never have taken and never will take formal wear on an Alaskan cruise. Just won't happen.

Don't fall for the marketing! It is Alaska! You have a very busy port schedule. Most people are too worn out to get all fancy.

Which cruiselines have you been on?

We are not planning on bringing formal wear, but I am still having trouble deciding what to pack. I know what I need for daytime on the ship and for excursions. However, I am not sure what I should bring for dinner and evenings on the ship. I am on HAL and dinner on non-formal nights is considered "Smart Casual." Do you have any suggestions as to what I should bring? Daytime I am planning on wearing fleece and/or windpants. I just didn't get the feeling that would be appropriate for evening dinners and walking about the ship at night. Are khakis dressy enough for "smart casual?"

I usually go to Alaska on HAL. I make my Alaskan trips an extention of business trips to make my money go further. That said, I have my skirted business suits which I wear for dinner even on formal nights. On other nights really depending on how chilled I've gotten during the day (cold, damp etc), I wear nice slacks and a sweater or a turtle neck with a jacket from one of my suits.

I have never been turned away from an HAL dining room on a formal night because I was wearing a suit. Plenty of women wear nice flowing pants with pretty tops. Chico's type stuff. All packable! After a few days cruising Alaska hair takes a beating. You do the best you can.

Some people do dress fancy, but I think they look silly doing so in Alaska especially with so many folks doing land tours and traveling for a long time.

The cruise lines push formal attire in their brochures, but I think it is marketing (and professional models!)

It's your cruise: be happy!

What about for the guys? My husband has some nice dress pants and shirts that he wears to the theater but does not own a suit coat. We don't want to spend the money on something that he will not have much use for.

For formal nights, will he be okay in very nice dress pants and dress shirts? For the "smart casual" nights, he is planning on wearing dockers and polos which I think is okay.

What about for the guys? My husband has some nice dress pants and shirts that he wears to the theater but does not own a suit coat. We don't want to spend the money on something that he will not have much use for.

For formal nights, will he be okay in very nice dress pants and dress shirts? For the "smart casual" nights, he is planning on wearing dockers and polos which I think is okay.

For what it is worth, my TA told me that on her cruises to Alaska with HAL there were men who showed up to formal nights with Khakis and nice shirts and were not turned away.

Does it make sense for us to ship our formalwear home from Seward or Anchorage before we set out on a trains/bus land tour through Denali and Fairbanks? I thought we could get the rest of our luggage down to the 25-30 lb limit for the bus to the Denali backcountry, but no way with tuxes, gowns and shoes.

Any convenient post offices in Seward or Anchorage?

thanks for the feedback

- Erin

I ship a lot of stuff into and out of the Anchorage main post office by the airport. Very easy to get to and open until midnight. And there is a U-haul place on Airport RD to get boxes and tape. VERY EASY to do what you want.

There is also a post office downtown Anchorage. It's in the Ship Creek Mall between C and D and 3rd and 4th. - 344 W 3rd Avenue

Business Hours

MO 10:00-05:30PM

TU 10:00-05:30PM

WE 10:00-05:30PM

TH 10:00-05:30PM

FR 10:00-05:30PM

Or there is one in the 5th Avenue Mall

Business Hours

MO 10:00-06:00PM

TU 10:00-06:00PM

WE 10:00-06:00PM

TH 10:00-06:00PM

FR 10:00-06:00PM

SA 10:00-06:00PM

Susan in Anchorage :)

My husband has a very nice sports coat/blazer that came from either Travelsmith or Magellans. It is great for travel as it has many security and hidden pockets. It is a navy blue. He wears it on formal nights with gray (also travel) slacks, white shirt and tie and looks very nice.

He's had it so long I can't remember which company sold it, but both have very nice and very handy men's travel jackets.

That is as dressed up as he is willing to get since he retired. I think that he looks wonderful!

l would ask your hotel in anchorage to hold your extra bags, and just pick them up again when you fly home from anchorage.

Most will do this for the tip.

As far as dressing up, it is Alaska, resort casual and jacket will be fine.

If you really are wanting to dress up, why not rent a tux on board, no packing required, and they are quite reasonable. No packaging, No pressing, poof you're done!

Thanks for all the feedback. We are on Celebrity, which seems a bit more formal. We are also doing a vow renewal and will have some special clothes for the ceremony. Unfortunately, we are not going round trip back to Anchorage, just on to Fairbanks and then flying home. And to make matters worse, I already bought my formalwear in a moment of weakness during a big sale! Now I HAVE To wear everything.... since I never have an occasion to dress up at home.

Sounds like the post ofc in ANC might be just the ticket.

thanks!

- Erin

Princess has a service called Princess Valet. For us to get one bag weighing 50 lbs sent back home via DHL from our ship in Alaska it will cost $200. We actually went for it as we are going to be in Alaska for another week on our own.

Thanks for all the feedback. We are on Celebrity, which seems a bit more formal. We are also doing a vow renewal and will have some special clothes for the ceremony. Unfortunately, we are not going round trip back to Anchorage, just on to Fairbanks and then flying home. And to make matters worse, I already bought my formalwear in a moment of weakness during a big sale! Now I HAVE To wear everything.... since I never have an occasion to dress up at home.

thanks!

- Erin

Oh well, I tried! Enjoy your cruise. Be sure to dress Alaskan on your land tour, at least!

You will find that most people on a Celebrity cruise do dress up on formal nights; the dress code is not relaxed because it is Alaska, do not be led to believe otherwise. You will find that upwards of 85% of the men wear tuxes or business suits and the other 15% wear blazers, slacks and ties.

Oh well, I tried! Enjoy your cruise. Be sure to dress Alaskan on your land tour, at least!

Good try. I do work in Alaska, and will say that professional clothing is not out of place, and - we do have black tie events. So if you want to dress business style, please do.

thanks!

- Erin

Erin,

It sounds to me that your land tour is thru Celebrity. Is this correct? If so, don't worry about your luggage at all. Our first cruise to Alaska we sailed Celebrity along with their land tour #13. It's very easy luggage wise: When you get off the ship, they will instruct you to put all your cruise clothes in one suitcase. They will keep it for you. The Motorcoach will be at each destination even when you're on legs where you travel by train. The bus drive actually drives the bus (oops, Motorcoach as they will call it) to the next destination; while you travel by the train. Pack another suitcase with the clothes you need for the land tour which will be delivered to your hotel room nightly. I also had a back-pack which I took on the train including my camara/clothing layers/other essentials. It workd very well and was hassle free.

If you are on a land tour thru the cruise line, it would be a waste of valuable sightseeing time in Anchorage to ship your cruise clothes home.

Have an amazing time in Alaska!!!

We are not doing our land tour with the cruiseline. We went independent so that we could get all the way into Denali for a couple nights (Kantishna). They only allow very limited luggage on the bus to the backcountry. I guess we will have to store some stuff at the Denali entrance in any case, but it would be so much nicer not to have to schlepp the extra things to and from hotels and on and off the train stations along the way... thanks for all the tips!

- Erin

Well I know ALASKANS are very laid back but on the ship...to me half of the fun is being able dress up for dinner! Plus I wouldn't do so much in port that I am to tired to dress for dinner.

In that case it may be best for you to ship it from Anchorage. That way, you won't have to deal with it at all the rest of the trip! One thing is for sure...going all the way to Kantishna will be wonderful...worth the effort!

Luggage is a pain, but simply being able to experience the amazing places throughout Alaska is worth it all! We're doing our land portion before the cruise and are spending 3 nights in Hoonah before flying to Anchorage. The only way to Hoonah is either by ferry or taking a short 20 min flight via Wings of Alaska. We're going to leave our cruise clothes suitcase with the folks at Wings of Alaska for $5 per day. Once we get to Anchorage we'll have a rental, so we won't have to worry about it...we'll have our clothes for the land portion in a seperate suitcase, so we'll just put cruise clothes in the trunk and forget about them!

Have a wonderful trip!

Archived