have you ever lied about your child's age...

kornuttle

I didn't see any lecturing, and I reread the entire thread looking for it. Opinions were asked and given. Simple as that.

Really?

"So, if you are going to lie about your child's age, how are you going to feel when your child lies to you?"

"The savings wouldn't be worth my lying in front of my child."

"...what does this say to your children about your values when it comes to saving a buck, where does it stop."

"It is really worth teaching your children to lie over a few dollars?"

"I agree, there's got to be other ways you can save money if you really need to that don't involve lying in front of your kids."

"It is sad when people show their lack of integrity and ethics in front of their own children."

"It's less expensive to pay the higher price for the correct age of your child now than the price you could have to pay later if your child learns from your example in life. It's a small price to pay for doing the right thing."

"Well Gee Mom. Remember when you lied about my age for all those years when I was small, so you could save $2 on a tour? I just did the same thing when I told the man that I was 21 and could drink beer. So what if I got drunk and ran my car into a tree. Lying when I was a kid, well, it's the same now. haha"

Nearly every response. IMO, that's lecturing. It doesn't matter that I happen to AGREE that it is WRONG to lie. But most of the responses weren't answers to the question.

The question was have you ever lied to get the child's price. It was NOT "would I be doing the right/wrong thing to lie to get the child's price?"

I understood that you agreed it wasn't a good idea, but your idea of a lecture and mine are completely different. I've sat through a few from my parents and tons from school, and none of those compared. I saw the statements that you quoted as very valid reasons backing up what the posters believed, nothing more.

Really?

"So, if you are going to lie about your child's age, how are you going to feel when your child lies to you?"

"The savings wouldn't be worth my lying in front of my child."

"...what does this say to your children about your values when it comes to saving a buck, where does it stop."

"It is really worth teaching your children to lie over a few dollars?"

"I agree, there's got to be other ways you can save money if you really need to that don't involve lying in front of your kids."

"It is sad when people show their lack of integrity and ethics in front of their own children."

"It's less expensive to pay the higher price for the correct age of your child now than the price you could have to pay later if your child learns from your example in life. It's a small price to pay for doing the right thing."

"Well Gee Mom. Remember when you lied about my age for all those years when I was small, so you could save $2 on a tour? I just did the same thing when I told the man that I was 21 and could drink beer. So what if I got drunk and ran my car into a tree. Lying when I was a kid, well, it's the same now. haha"

Nearly every response. IMO, that's lecturing. It doesn't matter that I happen to AGREE that it is WRONG to lie. But most of the responses weren't answers to the question.

The question was have you ever lied to get the child's price. It was NOT "would I be doing the right/wrong thing to lie to get the child's price?"

One or two sentences at the beginning or end of a post, or even just standing by itself does not a "lecture" make.

By your standard, the only acceptable responses would have been "yes" or "no". Anything else, by your standard, would be a lecture and not a response to the question. That kind of a standard would make for a very boring forum.

Archived