have you ever lied about your child's age...

kornuttle

Won't work on most cruiselines because they already know your child's age from your reservation (and when you check in you are going to have to show proof of your child's age).

oh yes, of course. but for those that book shore excursions outside of the ship.

Of course people have. However, you might want to consider how this appears to the child. I was buying tickets for a friend. When I got to the window I said one child was six and the other was four. I didn't realize there was a price increase at age six. From behind me the Dad says he's five. Thinking I was wrong (but believing I was right) I asked the boy how old he was. He said six. Again, from behind comes he's five. The boy, proud of his age again maintained he was six. By this point I realized what was up. I just rolled my eyes and said in a soft voice that he was six. Again from behind comes FIVE. The boy keeps saying six. Now the person in the booth is rolling his eyes.

Bottom line - he gave me the lower price and Dad apologized to his son. So, if you are going to lie about your child's age, how are you going to feel when your child lies to you?

I agree with cuizer2. The savings wouldn't be worth my lying in front of my child.

I second, what does this say to your children about your values when it comes to saving a buck, where does it stop. Not a good thing to try and explain to a 4 or 5 year old.

Of course people have. However, you might want to consider how this appears to the child. I was buying tickets for a friend. When I got to the window I said one child was six and the other was four. I didn't realize there was a price increase at age six. From behind me the Dad says he's five. Thinking I was wrong (but believing I was right) I asked the boy how old he was. He said six. Again, from behind comes he's five. The boy, proud of his age again maintained he was six. By this point I realized what was up. I just rolled my eyes and said in a soft voice that he was six. Again from behind comes FIVE. The boy keeps saying six. Now the person in the booth is rolling his eyes.

Bottom line - he gave me the lower price and Dad apologized to his son. So, if you are going to lie about your child's age, how are you going to feel when your child lies to you?

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THAT IS EXACTALLY WHAT I WANTED TO SAY. . . It is really worth teaching your children to lie over a few dollars?

;) ;)

I agree that kids aren't going to want to say they're younger.

I remember in the olden days when the adult price for movie tickets started at 18, and there was a teen price between 12 and 17. I was going with my mother and sister to see a movie. My mother jokingly said we were all teens, and the ticket seller laughed and said, "okay" and charged us the teen price.

Hats off to you my friend. It is sad when people show their lack of integrity and ethics in front of their own children.

It's less expensive to pay the higher price for the correct age of your child now than the price you could have to pay later if your child learns from your example in life. It's a small price to pay for doing the right thing.

I always let DS tell them how old he is since he's so proud.

Well Gee Mom. Remember when you lied about my age for all those years when I was small, so you could save $2 on a tour? I just did the same thing when I told the man that I was 21 and could drink beer. So what if I got drunk and ran my car into a tree. Lying when I was a kid, well, it's the same now. haha

Wow. The lectures. :rolleyes:

And how is Little Johnny going to know Mom lied about his age if she fills out an online reservation form?

Anyway, I wouldn't do it and even if I ever considered it, it never would've worked for me as DD was always tall for her age. People always expected her to act like a much older child - even the ones who knew her age! - just because she looked older!

In addition to the repurcussions of lying to or about or in front of your child, do you really think that is fair to the people who make their living from providing your shore excursion? If a "child rate" is offered, it is as a courtesy -- the kid still takes up a paying space that COULD have been sold for full fare.

I cannot believe you'd even consider such a thing. And if you are asking for "a friend", you need to reconsider your friendship.

I'm trying to figure out why you are asking this on a BB? I must be missing something. :confused:

You're not missing anything...

Some people ask a question like this thinking if a bunch of ppl do it then it must be ok, or if other's admit to it then it eases their conscience.

Other people just like to stirthepot.gif

My kids were always big for their ages! It might have worked if I wanted to "fudge up", but never down!!!!
This will work to their advantage when they start going to bars later... :p

And how is Little Johnny going to know Mom lied about his age if she fills out an online reservation form?

You know, the news is just full of things someone thought would never see the light of day.

How is little Johnny going to find out? I don't know. But you would be surprised of often he does. How many politicians have resigned over something "private" that became PUBLIC?

I was with a group in Sacramento, California once. Someone in the group knew someone and we were giving the VIP tour. I didn't think anything of it until the tour guide said something that made it clear the tour guide thought we were an official government group. The thing was, I was not the only one to realize we were not what the tour guide thought we were.

It is amazing how some things come to light. One of my favorites is when Mom or Dad tries to lie about the child's age so the child can get into the older group on the cruise ship. Remember all the official forms you had to fill out and show to get on the ship? Well guess what. The children's REAL ages are provided to the youth staff. They know if someone is lying about a child's age, because they already have the official information. The last cruise I was on a youth counselor and I got to talking, and I mentioned that I didn't think there would be many kids on the next cruise. She told me I was right, there were 27. Now how do you figure she knew that days before the first child from that cruise even set foot on the ship?

Or how about the person who hit me up for some gas money saying his car had just run out of gas. He then pointed to his car. Well, I happened to know that car he pointed to had a 3/4 of a tank of gas, since I had just filled it up the prior day. I just said no and somehow kept from laughing as I got into my car to drive home.

Sooner or later something is going to happen to bring an embarrassing moment to light. And when it does, you'll be a lot happier if it is you slipping on a banana peel rather than you tripping over tongue.

I was simply asking a question. I wasn't encouring the OP to do this. As noted, I wouldn't lie. On principle.

The OP asked a question, and rather than answering, people started their typical "tsk, tsk, shame on you!" lecturing.

If she filled out a reservation online, the excursion people wouldn't know, and she wouldn't be "lying in front of the kid."

Does that mean it's ok? No, it does not.

Forgive me for giving an honest answer rather than a self-righteous lecture.

The OP asked a question, and rather than answering, people started their typical "tsk, tsk, shame on you!" lecturing.

I didn't see any lecturing, and I reread the entire thread looking for it. Opinions were asked and given. Simple as that.

Or how about the person who hit me up for some gas money saying his car had just run out of gas. He then pointed to his car. Well, I happened to know that car he pointed to had a 3/4 of a tank of gas, since I had just filled it up the prior day. I just said no and somehow kept from laughing as I got into my car to drive home.

:D Oh my goodness..... I fell for that one. About a year ago, a very tiny woman approached me in grocery store parking lot when I was putting my bags in my car. She had tears in her eyes. She told me she ran out of gas but had no cash. I knew there was a gas station very close to this parking lot, told her she could easily walk and gave her $10 for gas. Just felt the right thing to do.

A few weeks later, she tried again!!! I was shocked and embarrassed I had been 'taken'. I told her she got me once but certainly not twice. Didn't phase her at all......she asked, can't it happen twice to me that I could again run out of gas!!! I told her I was calling police and she ran off.

Archived