Bus Transportation in Port

It seems like a good way to save money would be to use local bus transportation in port but it is very difficult finding any information. Has anyone used the local buses in any of these ports: St. Martin, St. Lucia, Barbados, Antingua, Barbados? TIA

We were in Barbados onboard the Summit last January and used the bus. We took a cab to go to Folkstone beach which was around $25.00 with tip. We got talking to a local who asked us why we did't take the bus. We decided to try it to go back to the ship. I think the fare back was around .70 US a person. The buses come about evert 10 minutes -just flag one down. Just sit down and a worker comes and collects the fare. Bus driver real friendly and told us where to get off. People onboard real friendly also-answered our questions. Bus station about 3-4 blocks away from port. We're going to be there again in Jan and are taking the bus to the Atlantic side this time. Have fun!

Donna: have you checked on the Port of calls boards? There are some people that post that live in the areas you are questioning.

I also posted on the St. Martin board. I didn't want to annoy people basically the same post on too many boards. But the cruise is getting closer and my plans are far from set so I will keep trying. Thanks for the suggestion.

Have you tried the "official" websites for the countries you're visiting? I know the Cayman site has info, map, etc. re the public buses, so maybe other countries do that, too. Or maybe Fodor/Frommer/Lonely Planet has info like that. Reading the Ports of Call board can perhaps give you an idea of how safe/convenient/reliable your plan might be.

Archived