1st time Celebration Cruise

Me, my sister and my mum are going on the colouful coasts cruise on the 2nd of jan for 7 days, this will be our first ever cruise, so don't know what to expect, its a treat for my mums birthday and we've upgraded to a delux cabin for 3 on deck 6any info please we are more casual diners

We have gone for the AI package are cans of cold drinls included in that?

Thanks michelle

I'm sure you will love the Celebration - it's such a friendly ship and I would say an excellent first-time choice.

Just in case, take some travel-sickness pills with you and take them immediately you feel there is any noticeable roll. I use Stugeron which you can buy over the counter and have weathered a Force 9 without missing a meal - so the pills worked for me! (Could have all been in the mind - but who cares?). If you've got them at the ready - chances are you won't need them.

The Meridian restaurant (waiter service) is not too formal - just smart casual wear except for the Captain's Gala Night when people do dress up a bit more. Don't be put off going in there - the waiters are delightful - so cheerful and help to make your holiday special. You can eat in the Lido buffet restaurant for all/any of your meals. This has a very similar menu so just get a feel of what you prefer.

The AI package is very good - especially if you get it thrown-in by booking early. Soft drinks, wine (by the glass - but we found it very acceptable), cocktails, many spirits, lager etc are included. There is a surcharge for some spirits but and speciality coffees but it seemed to cover everything we wanted to drink.

What happens on the last day/night, I've heard that your luggage is collected the night before, are you able to put nightclothes in your luggage when you get them back, don't really like carrying large bags for hand luggage

You are asked to put your luggage outside your cabin at a certain time during the last night. There are special stickers which you need to put over the closures of your luggage so you cant open them again.

Just wear something light on last night for bed and put it in your hand luggage- thats what everyone else seems to do

Celebration is a great ship, I am sure you will enjoy it and not formal if you dont want to be, Lido restaurant has very good food and choice but I bet you will enjoy the Meridian as someone else mentioned, great service and waiters will make your cruise- dont miss the Baked Alaska parade- its a hoot! and then all staff sing a farewell song to the guests- quite moving! You dont have to dress up formal, just smart casual

Enjoy your cruise but be careful.....its addictive!

Just looking on the internet and found this

15% gratuity is added to most bar and wine bills

We have paid AI and have been told all tips are included so will we be charged the 15% as well

also have much is it to use the internet for emails on the celebration

Thanks again

We usually take a small rucksack each as hand luggage (its surprising how much they hold...) and put nightclothes and minimum washing kit in there, any medication etc. But you could sleep in your underwear for the last night if you were not wanting too much hand luggage. They usually ask you to put your case out by midnight or 1 a.m. ish... Depending on what time you leave the ship for flight home you may like to keep a pair of shorts out if its going to be shorts weather!! But remember to keep your travelling clothes out of your case or else you'll have to go home in your nightclothes!!!!!

We've just come back from an AI trip on Destiny and had absolutely NO charges for any drinks at all (we did stick to those covered by the AI - not special malt whisky or anything like that which did carry a small additional charge). We've never seen a 15% levy on drinks although even with AI you do have to sign for drinks ordered and there was space to add on a gratuity if so wished.

You are correct though, tips are included so there is no need to pay any more although many people do give their cabin steward, dining room and wine waiters (if they have the same ones each day) a personal tip as the service IS excellent and you may feel you want to acknowledge this.

Hi Cool Cruiser

I used the internet on the Celebration in November on the Red Sea cruise.

I thought it was very expensive but handy to let family know we had arrived safely. Can't remember how much the bottled water was tho!

Regards

Taylaboo

We paid 55p for 500ml bottled water - but that was the AI reduced price - I've a feeling it was 85 or 95p full price. Off the ship - it can be 1.50E at shops around the tourist spots (e.g. which is what we paid by the Alcazabar in Malaga) or as little as 0.35E in small supermarkets like the one we found close to the berth in La Palma. If you find a small 'corner shop' used by the locals rather than souvenir shops it's worth buying few bottles to take back on board.

Hi

We were on the celebration in March, deck 6 cabin 218.

Deck 6 is the (upper) promenade which I enjoyed a lot, straight out of the cabin onto the deck, although there were complaints that people can look into the bedroom if you don’t keep the curtains closed, didn’t bother us

We were not AI but after the trip I did a comparison we were better off paying as we went, but only by about £66. The wife only occasionally drinks and we only had wine with the meal twice. As mentioned above if you can get it thrown in for booking early it can be a real saver.

You do pay an AI supplement for water (500ml) 55p for the small bottles and 85p for the larger (1500ml), cost to us was 90p and £1.35 respectively.

Diet cokes etc were included in the AI there were supplements on the premium shorts, bottles of beer and Bacardi breezers, don’t know of any others as we didn’t drink those.

There is a formal night, on the at sea day, about 95% of the women dressed up and just about 70% of the men wore DJ’s/dark suit, the rest was anything from trainers and open neck shirts up.

If that makes you feel uncomfortable or you don’t want to dress up you can always eat in the Lido Restaurant, the atmosphere on the Celebration is very relaxed no one will tell you what you must wear.

As others have mentioned, we also used a rucksack for the night clothes and toiletries on the last day.

Internet I paid £16.00 for 100 minutes internet connection and it was poor and very slow, but it did enable me to keep in contact with work and home.

Unless it is vital that you have an internet connection, I would take a mobile and use internet cafes at various ports. If it is vital take a laptop, with a G3 card and get your work to pay for it.

The wife had a cut and blow dry in Oceans it was £35 and she also had her hair coloured that was £65.

Regards

David

Thanks David,

i have prebooked my cabin which actually is 218 we treated ourselves to a deluxe cabin as its a trip for my mums birthday, we paid £69 each to upgrade to AI which we were told was at a discount. might use the internet at the ports, was just to email back home to my Dad nothing for work

Can you use the mini bar as a fridge

Hi

We were on the Emerald last week and there was a large bottle of water left in our cabin with a tab to sign and give to the cabin boy if we wanted it 1.40 euros.We had it and kept filling our small bottles up from it to take on trips.

Whenever you assemble for a trip they set up a table selling water, cans snacks etc to take with you ( its added to your onboard account)- very handy so you don't have to go looking for a shop.

Flopsy

• 4 weeks later...

A few more questions

Can you reqquest extra pillows, and are bathrobes provided in the deluxe cabins? (read this somewhere)

In the buffet restaurant do they do hot drinks and cappucinos?,and can you get brown sugar as well as white

what kind of programmes are shown on the tv

Thanks in advance

Hi Michelle,

I was able to have an extra pillow on Destiny (actually, I just needed a thinner one) but it arrived no probs. I've a feeling there are extra pillows stowed in the top of the wardrobes on Celebration and Spirit along with the life jackets - there's more room in the wardrobes on these two - but perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me.

They do hot drinks in the buffet - you can help yourself to coffee and a variety of teas so you can make it just how you like it. You can go anytime even the middle of the night and help yourself. Coffees/cappuccinos/hot chocolate are also available (waiter service) in the Show lounge, some bars (on Spirit: Horizon's/Raffles/Explorer's lounge/High Spirits and on Celebration: Hemmingway's/Explorer's/ Liberties) I think that's the way round it is! Anyway, they serve cappuccinos with a biscuit too so it's very nice. Sorry, can't remember whether you get brown sugar or not. With AI if you want to pace the alcohol a bit (although you are on holiday!) you can also have virgin cocktails which are very good and on either Celebration or Spirit they did really nice smoothies too - not sure whether available on both - there are slight variations between the ships although the 'experience' is pretty similar on all Thomson ships.

Sorry, can't help with the robes question - we go for the cheap option with a view to going again a.s.a.p.! Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a great time and your Mum will love it. Enjoy!

P.S. I should have said that the cappuccinos/hot choc etc. are free with your AI package. I think it's only £1.20 to have it served in the lounges/bars even if you haven't got AI so it's not a rip-off. (Free in the buffet restaurant of course - but only 'ordinary' coffee available here - at least I'm fairly sure that's right.)

Speciality coffees are not included in your AI but then again what's to stop you ordering a coffee and a whisky/brandy separately?

Archived