port or staboard

MQU

We are doing the Panama canal from Acapulco to Ft. Lauderdale, which is the best side to be on, port or starboard? Also are the cabins in the middle on caribe deck fully covered. They are the ones by the elavators that are bumped out. Thanks for any info.

Port seems to be the favored side on that run, at least there were precious few ones left when we booked. I had a bit of trouble finding two cabins for the 1/3/09 IP for myself and my parents. Originally it was going to be balcony for me and a mini for my parents. We finally settled on 2 minis opposite each other (my parents on port, me on starboard) so it wont matter to us which side particular side is "favored'... Actually, my mini was only 10% more in price than a balcony would have been for me - go figure...

We just returned from the full transit Panama Canal trip from FLL to SFO. We were on the port side which was nice for us because on our route that put us facing the middle of the canal to where we could watch the other ship go through beside us. (keep in mind, we were heading the other direction from where you will be heading.) I would say, get up early and go to the front of the ship which is accessable from decks 9 and 10 (dolphin and caribe decks).

All good responses. What it boils down to is that it really doesn't matter unless you intend to do all you view from your balcony in which case is that you missed half the experience.

From my viewpoint (pun intended) the way to see the Canal is to be on one of the open decks and forward. You have the convenience of seeing the wonder opening up in front of you and you and always move to one side or the other to catch something of interest.

This is based on the voyage through the Canal. Now if you are interested in seeing the land sights on the way from Acupulco to Port Everglades, then you might consider port side for that particular route.

I agree with Grego above.

Until the ship approachs the locks, it is unknown which side of the parallel locks the ship will enter. They run through the locks on a defile system, using both sets, and the most "action" is being able to see the set beside you, particularly if there is a ship in it.

Beware the tropical sun - it is very easy to get a sunburn if you tend to stay out watching the "action".

Archived