Document Dance - Nov. 6th

cunarder

Now that is a positive - French wine! Perhaps a Bordeaux, Burgundy and Chablis. That I will purchase. In the past we have not purchased any wine at port and brought it back to the ship so we were not aware that Cunard would let you keep it in the room - or is it only for consumption in the DR or they hold on until disembarkation.

Hi Jeanne S,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your questions. I have had computer problems this week, but today, everything seems to be working OK.

Yes, the Rotterdam V is the Rotterdam on which you sailed.

It has been too many years since I have been to Martinique to have an up-to-date opinion. From reading other postings on this thread, it sounds like a place to be careful.

You mentioned about a catamaran to a deserted island(at St. Maarten). Are you refering to the tour to St. Barths? If so, St. Barts is not deserted--just not highly touristed. It is off the beaten path, but is a lovely place as I recall.

Bob

Doesn't look like Cunard accepts advance bookings for shore excursions. As soon as you get to the cabin you can order on the tv set. According to my bulletin from my last cruise on QM2 the tv orders get priority. I don't think you'll get shut out if you know what you want on boarding day as opposed to those who wait for the shore excursion talk. I took this excursion on a Celebrity cruise. The best part was being served drinks while we were in the water. It's not a great excursion for snorkeling. People mentioned a lot of jellyfish so I stayed clear of that area and just swam in the water. Some people were applying the mud from the beach onto their skin. It's supposed to have restorative properties. The beach, by the way, is clothing optional. As I approached the beach from the boat there were 2 nudists completely covered in the mud. I didn't notice them at first since they blended into the rocks they were lying against. It was quite comical.

This time I booked a sailing/snorkeling adventure on my own. It leaves near the cruise ship dock and I only had to put down a $7.00 deposit. It also doesn't leave til 11 am so I don't have to knock myself out to get on an early tender.

Cruise Pup

It does not sound like the beach the Cat moors at is too swift. In Bermuda on a Celebrity tour this August we went on a Cat to a private beach (Turtle Bay – a former NASA relay station) that was like talcum powder. We were hesitant to swim out to it without our towels, and beach bag, but it was pristine – deserted and the sand was the most beautiful we have ever seen. It was nice to be able to book Celebrity tours well in advance and just pay for them upfront.

I prefer the Cat’s that go to the beach; used to scuba years ago though. What is the name/web site of the excursion that you booked? 11am sounds much better.

We are also interested in the Maxi Cat in Martinique as this goes to the beach and bat cave.

My traveling companions are going on the Atlantis Sub in Barbados.

In St. Lucia the three of us would like to do the St. Lucia by Land and Sea – do you think this .5 hour excursion gets tiring? What we like about it is the Cat ride back to Bridgetown which should be relaxing.

In St Thomas I am going to Magens Beach and my friends on the helicopter ride.

What time is everyone getting to the pier? The Limo service that takes us has clients already booked to be picked up and dropped off at 2pm, so we are getting picked 10:30am. We are going to get there too early for 2pm embarkation, but last time when we arrived early they took us. We can always drop off the luggage and go eat lunch.

Hi Jeanne,

A Pat Mitchell ice cream cake is great. It is sold here in the Binghamton area.

We just had one for myself and a friend of mine from Syracuse.

Also, I see you said your embarkation is at 2:00. Ours is at 1:00 on our documents. How does Cunard determine who gets on when?? I thought it used to be by deck.

Ed

Cruise Pup

It does not sound like the beach the Cat moors at is too swift. In Bermuda on a Celebrity tour this August we went on a Cat to a private beach (Turtle Bay – a former NASA relay station) that was like talcum powder. We were hesitant to swim out to it without our towels, and beach bag, but it was pristine – deserted and the sand was the most beautiful we have ever seen. It was nice to be able to book Celebrity tours well in advance and just pay for them upfront.

I prefer the Cat’s that go to the beach; used to scuba years ago though. What is the name/web site of the excursion that you booked? 11am sounds much better.

We are also interested in the Maxi Cat in Martinique as this goes to the beach and bat cave.

My traveling companions are going on the Atlantis Sub in Barbados.

In St. Lucia the three of us would like to do the St. Lucia by Land and Sea – do you think this .5 hour excursion gets tiring? What we like about it is the Cat ride back to Bridgetown which should be relaxing.

In St Thomas I am going to Magens Beach and my friends on the helicopter ride.

What time is everyone getting to the pier? The Limo service that takes us has clients already booked to be picked up and dropped off at 2pm, so we are getting picked 10:30am. We are going to get there too early for 2pm embarkation, but last time when we arrived early they took us. We can always drop off the luggage and go eat lunch.

Actually, I found the Golden Eagle overpriced for what it was. But I complained to the shore excursion people on Millennium that they did not provide proper snorkel equipment and the refunded 1/2 the tour price (they gave out those noodles instead of vests. You cannot propertly snorkel with those stupid noodles).

I'm also planning on doing the land and sea on St. Lucia. Looks wonderful and the cat ride back includes a stop for a swim, so I'm all for it. Doesn't seem to be too stressful for 5 hours. The next day is Barbados and I'm doing an independent snorkel tour which doesn't leave til noon, so I don't have to be up bright and early the next morning anyway.

St. Thomas I'll probably head to Coki Beach or Trunk Bay on St. John's depending on how much time I'll have and the weather conditions. Magen's Bay doesn't have good snorkeling, so I've never bothered to go.

My boarding time is 1:00 pm and I'd have to think it goes by deck since I'm in the cheapest priced cabin. Suites get to board anytime they want, so they're not concerned with insulting the highest paying guests by boarding this way.

Why would you go out to lunch when there will be a nice one at Kings Court. I went to the Carvery last time. This time I'm trying the Italian because it looked really good. See you all Sunday 12:30 at the pub if not sooner. And there's the tea on Sunday as well. Safe trip for those of you traveling to NYC.

Last May our friends were upgraded from Princess to Queens and were very pleased to be able to skip the line when they arrived at 2:30 and it was bedlam. First they were directed to the line as they tickets reflected QG, but then they approached someone with the letter they had been upgraded (Cunard overcharged them $700 and caught it so they were upgraded); they were immediately taken off the line.

Our documents say 2pm. They also had me as a first time passenger. Guest Relations is in the process of correcting this. I figured if my corrections do not arrive in time and we get there before or around twelve and they told us to come back at 2pm that we would just go to lunch. I read a review on CC whereby someone boarded at 3pm and there was no lunch by the time they made it to KC.

Last time in Bermuda we went on the Restless Native also (Hamilton) and they told everyone to use the vests: “We spent a lot of money for this equipment, it is the best, please use it.” Still some people have to have those noodles – why I can’t figure.

Last time we were on deck 5 and were given 3:30 embarkation time yet someone in an inside cabin was given 1pm so I am not really sure Ed what they are doing other that QG can board anytime. If I am ever in Binghamton will know where to go for ice cream.

See you all for Lunch at 12:30 In the Pub, if not sooner. What kind of fare beside fish and chips is served? I’ll have to save room for tea – no dessert for lunch for Jeannie.

So we are docking at Martinique and Barbados?

The pub lunch last May was Fish & Chips, Cottage Pie, and an Indian dish (forgot which one). Not very extensive but the Fish & Chips were the best I've ever tasted.

I know we're docking in Barbados. I don't remember about Martinique but I thought Barbados was the only docking port but it's been a while since I looked at my docs. St. Thomas is going to be a zoo. There are 5 ships in port that day. I wonder if they will tender us to Havensight or right into Charlotte Amalie. When I was on Norway we were tendered right into town.

Yes Ed and Cruise Pup, that is what the docs say - only one port and it is Barbados – I think it was Winchester (or someone else perhaps) on another thread who posted QM2 docked at Martinique earlier this year.

The last time I was in St. Thomas, we stayed at Frenchman’s Reef and its used its beach. Have not been to the public beaches and wonder if I should even go to Magen’s Bay given 5 ships will be in. Sounds like it will be like crowded Horseshoe Bay in Bermuda as everyone wants to go to a supposed “top ten beach.”

I remember reading a post from Michael (Mtbny) that on the QE2; he got off the ship in St. Thomas and got right back on.

Did anyone else see the offer for cabins C1 - D6 to receive goodies if they transfer from the Nov. 6th sailing to another sailing after Dec. 6th?

Sounds like they either overbooked or nobody is on the other sailings.

Ed

Where was this Ed? So they can't just bump these passengers up to a B to make some room in the C's and S's and then bump the B's up and so on? Must be sold out again.

Do you think what happened to the poster who just had his cruise cancelled - seaboundt on 11/2 QE2 - will occur on the our journey? An he actually had booked a cabin, not a guarantee!

Ed and Jeanne S,

Yes, my Travel Agent just today contacted me about this offer. Her office received it by fax yesterday evening. It is not an attractive offer for anyone in a category above C1. Also, it was not attractive, in my opinion, inasmuch as the cruise fare credit would be given as shipboard credit and not as a refund. It is my Agent's opinion that it does indicate that our cruise is oversold. But, it is very odd that Cunard would wait so late to make such an offer.

My Agent has a wonderful sense of humor: Her parting words to me included, "Give my best regards to your roommate(I have booked the stateroom as a single)." I told her, "Ha, Ha. That is not funny!"

Bob

Hi Bob,

I agree with you that giving a shipboard credit isn't very enticing. However, I read the fax as an offer only for those in C1 - D6. I don't think it applies to the B category and above.

Jeanne - I don't know about you but this week seems to be about 2 months long. Can't wait until Saturday.

I'll tell you one thing, I better not get bumped (although I'm in a B4)!

Ed

Guess they are either desperte or just mismanaged this entire booking. At least they have yet the cancel anyones trip as on QE2 11/2. they really do seem to be like the airlines. Do other cruise lines routinely over book. I can see how thre might be some overbooking in anticipation of the usual last minute cancellations, but the internet sites were selling this cruise last week.

Bob, you may want to check out Radisson. When we sailed last June on a 2 for 1 offer, the single supplement was only $100! There were approx 44 single cabins passenger on a ship that holds 490.

Yes Ed it seemed as if we might never get to tomorrow, althought the past 2 days have flown by for me.

See you all on Sunday @ 12:30 in the Golden Lion!

I was just checking our itinerary on Cunard's website. They have us in St. Thomas from 9am-3pm. Was that always the case? It seems kind of early. If this is the correct times then I guess I can scrap St. John and will head to Coki if I have time. Otherwise I'll just walk around Charlotte Amalie if we tender into town. I'll be back next month so it's no "big whoop" to me but to others it might be.

See you all on Sunday.

Please be advised with a 10 day sailing there will be 3 with the

possibility of four formal nights. As for the exact night we do not have

that information as it is at the cruise director and captains discretion.

Best regards,

Cunard World Club

worldclub@cunard.com

Repeated from the line I started.

Archived