Book early or book late?

Usually booking late!

However.............. you do lose such 'perks' as AI or free parking etc. on later bookings.

We've done both. You have to weigh it up: if you have a fixed date you want to go, or if you have a particular itinerary you want to do and there are extras like the all inclusive, sometimes it's worth commiting earlier but if you are prepared to hang on there's no doubt about it, you can get some excellent last minute deals. There's also just the possibility you might miss out though by leaving it too long and this can be very disappointing if you've made your mind up that you want to go on that special cruise as opposed to 'any' cruise.

If you are doing a fly-cruise and want to go from a regional airport, sometimes the cruise might still be available for a late booking, but your local airport isn't. Then you've got to count up the cost of transport, possible over-night accommodation, parking and you might have to pay a fee for picking up your ticket at the port/airport. It's not always just the advertised price either. 'From' £XXX is usually the inside lowest deck prices. For last minute deals often these are no longer available so there will be a cabin supplement (although at the last minute these too can be less than the original up-grade price).

So you have to decide what you really want and how much of a risk you are prepared to take by leaving it to just before departure - but all the best. I hope you find a bargain and enjoy it!

We usually book early to get free AI and also to choose a specific cabin but if these are not important to you then it may pay to wait and try for a late deal.

It also pays to keep an eye out on thomson website for they sometimes have special deals just for a weekend e.g. £150 off if booked before Monday....you need to check the website every couple of days if you've got something in mind and then get and book it if an offer comes up.! Good luck!

P.S. I'm talking in particular of our experiences of Thomson - I think it's true to say some other cruise companies have a different policy of offering their best deals early on. Of course the current situation means lots of spare capacity because of people tightening their belts - could be some excellent deals around this summer. We've just booked one end of June - unfortunately not with Thomson. I can't believe we've done it - but price and departure point swung it for us. I feel a real turn-coat though!

It will be interesting to compare our experience of a different cruise-line - but I'm already tracking Thomson for the one after!

• 2 weeks later...

I booked my Emerald cruise a year in advance- on the Thomson website and got free All Inclusive drinks package.

Then in the weeks running up to the due date I kept checking the current price on Thomson website- I ran my details through each time and never got a cheaper price than I had paid a year previously.I found that the choice of cabins was limited, and my choice of airport was not available.

So for me booking well in advance will always be the best option- it gives me longer to look forward to it, longer to research the ports of call, and longer to save up!

Most importantly, healthwise, if I develop any health problem or disease between taking out the travel insurance and the date of travel I won't have to declare it as a 'pre-existing condition' as I didn't have the problem when I bought the insurance.

Flopsy

Archived