new airline rules - how to pack?

cruisingsaw

We (DH and I) are doing a 12 night cruisetour with an extra night prior and a night at the end in Vancouver. With all of the new rules put out by the airlines, I am having trouble figuring out how to pack and what kind of suitcases would work best. I am thinking about getting a large (26") rolling duffle bag. Has anyone used this as opposed to a 26" or larger regular suitcase. I guess we will have to bring a garment bag for our evening clothes on the ship. It's all our other clothes that I am obsessing about. Having to pack for all kinds of weather is nerve wrecking.

It's my understanding that the cruiseline has you tag any luggage that will be for cruise only so that we are not lugging alot of stuff.

The last cruises we have gone out of NY and NJ without flying.

You have all been helpful with all my crazy questions. Thanks again.

We (DH and I) are doing a 12 night cruisetour with an extra night prior and a night at the end in Vancouver. With all of the new rules put out by the airlines, I am having trouble figuring out how to pack and what kind of suitcases would work best. I am thinking about getting a large (26") rolling duffle bag. Has anyone used this as opposed to a 26" or larger regular suitcase. I guess we will have to bring a garment bag for our evening clothes on the ship. It's all our other clothes that I am obsessing about. Having to pack for all kinds of weather is nerve wrecking.

It's my understanding that the cruiseline has you tag any luggage that will be for cruise only so that we are not lugging alot of stuff.

The last cruises we have gone out of NY and NJ without flying.

You have all been helpful with all my crazy questions. Thanks again.

I'd pack 1 bag each for checking and load it up to the max 50 lbs per bag. If you don't have rolling bags, then get some. The rolling duffles work, but your clothes get smushed and wrinkled.

Then I'd pack a carry-on bag each. I'd have a variety of clothes in all 4 bags and then if any bag is lost or missing, you still have clothes.

Also, I'd get each of you a backpack if needed. BackPacks do not count in the overall carry-on count. You are not allowed to have a backpack and purse. It is one or the other.

Total should be:

2 - Large bags for check w/wheels

2 - Carry on size bags w/wheels

2 - Back-packs

I always get off the plane, slide up the handle of the carry-on and then put the backpack on top of the carry bag and grab the handle of the carry-on and backpack. The backpack will be leaning on the rails of the handle.

I traveled this way for years using the carry-on as the carrier for my laptop case as I walked through the airport.

Do airlines simply disallow a second bag, or charge a fee for it? If it's a fee, how much?

Most of the airlines charging a fee for second bag are chargin $25 for the second bag. A third bag will sock it to much higher.

Dianne

I am facing the exact problem right now. Keep in mind that if your bag weighs over 50lbs, you will most likely be charged $50.00. However, a second bag is only $25.00 to check, so it is cheaper to just check a second bag then run the risk of your bag weighing too much.

Do airlines simply disallow a second bag, or charge a fee for it? If it's a fee, how much?

There are a few exceptions to the $25 charge for a 2nd checked bag.

1. You are a Platinum/Gold or Elite member

2. You are sitting in 1st class or Business class on any of the legs.

3. You have an International port on any of the legs on your itinerary.

So if you fly into Anchorage, but return from Vancouver you will be

able to check in 2 bags on you entire trip, due to Vancouver being

classified as international. See an agent if you have problems.

As the above posted said, pack 1 large suitcase under 50 lbs. ($80 is the overweight fee for most airlines) and carry on a 22" suitcase or duffel bag.

Doug

We bought a $20 digital luggage scale to use and take with us after I looked up the airlines's (Delta) new rules on their web site.

51–70 pounds: $80 each:confused:

71–100 pounds: $150 each

62–80 inches—total of length plus width plus height: $150 each

That way we can check the bags before getting to the airport coming home to make sure the weight is under 50 pounds.We may need to redistribute some items but it would be easier at the hotel then the airport. If I have to I'd rather pay $25 for an extra bag then be over the 50 pounds. Being packing challenged :( anyway, this is my stresser for the trip, LOL.

We leave the 24th, yeah!!!

Here are the exceptions

The following customers will not be charged a service fee to check a second bag provided the second bag is within the weight allowance:

Customers who buy a ticket before May 12, 2008, or who fly before May 12, 2008

Customers traveling on an international itinerary to destinations beyond the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Canada

Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class

Customers who have purchased Business or First Class tickets

Customers flying on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection®

Customers traveling on government or military fares

Military passengers on active duty

AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® members

oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members

Customers flying on the same reservation as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)

AAnytime® Economy Class AAdvantage award tickets, MileSAAver(SM) or AAnytime First and Business Class AAdvantage award tickets

First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check in

AAirpass travel

I fly a lot. There have been many arguments at the check in counter since the $25 charges kicked in. I can tell you that American and United are not cutting anyone any slack.

Also at many airports, DFW especially, the people from the TSA who check your ID also can send you back to baggage check if your bags are too big or you have too many of them.

Vancouver is not considered international (but North American) on most US airlines.

Allow extra time for checking in your bags and do a practice packing to make sure you aren't overweight. I do not agree with the person who posted above who said that a backpack doesn't count toward your allowed cabin baggage. If the flight is full, the FA's and gate agents can force you to gate check bags..... and they do so!

This all will affect the dress code on cruise ships, starting right now.

Here are the exceptions

The following customers will not be charged a service fee to check a second bag provided the second bag is within the weight allowance:

Customers who buy a ticket before May 12, 2008, or who fly before May 12, 2008

Customers traveling on an international itinerary to destinations beyond the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Canada

Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class

Customers who have purchased Business or First Class tickets

Customers flying on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection®

Customers traveling on government or military fares

Military passengers on active duty

AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® members

oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members

Customers flying on the same reservation as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)

AAnytime® Economy Class AAdvantage award tickets, MileSAAver(SM) or AAnytime First and Business Class AAdvantage award tickets

First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check in

AAirpass travel

This is good information related to flights on American Airlines, but we don't know which airline the OP is flying on. If they are on a different airline some rules may be different. :confused:

Just something to keep in mind . . . check out the rules specific to your particular airline.

Deborah

Just be aware on Delta if you have a second bag that happens to be over 50lbs and oversized you'll be charged three separate fees (2nd bag, overweight, oversize) that could be upwards of several hundred dollars.

Northwest also recently put in this policy BUT it was from that day forward. Tickets purchased as of... March 26th for flights May 5th and later will be subjected to the 1 checked bag, $25 fee for second. Those of us who bought our tickets under the old policy can still check two bags.

http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/checked.html#domestic

(You need to scroll down a bit for the tables that show the information, but it's there) So check on your carrier and when you bought your tickets!

Northwest also recently put in this policy BUT it was from that day forward. Tickets purchased as of... March 26th for flights May 5th and later will be subjected to the 1 checked bag, $25 fee for second. Those of us who bought our tickets under the old policy can still check two bags.

http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/checked.html#domestic

(You need to scroll down a bit for the tables that show the information, but it's there) So check on your carrier and when you bought your tickets!

Exactly. I bought our tickets last November on NW when we reserved the cruise so we both still get two suitcases each. I am packing one for the ship that has just the nicer close we will use on the cruise. Maybe some other stuff, too, we'll see. Then we will have two suitcases with us on the land tour part to cover the multiple layers of clothes that we need to be ready to use if it is cold/rainy. The 4th suitcase will be coming full of bottled water as I am picky about my water (paranoid after having gotten crypto back in 1993 from municipal water) and want my purified water available, not spring water. I'll rearrange when we get to Anchorage so that bottled water for the 3 days we are on the Princess portion of the land tour I'll have water in our carryon bags. That 4th suitcase will be for carrying home any items we buy along the way.

The "carryon" bags will really be canvas totes that we use for day bags on excursions. We'll each have one of those, too.

As for weight, we are staying at the Pan Pacific in Vancouver for two nights at the end of the cruise. They have scales in the bathrooms. That's what we used in 2005 to make sure our suitcases weren't overweight when packed to go home. With 4 suitcases, I'm pretty sure we won't have more than 200 lbs of stuff to haul home. :)

If you can prove your bottled water is for medical reasons, that suitcase is then consider 'medical' and is exempt from the limit on number of suitcases, but not from weight.

Check the 'disabled' topic on CC for more info.

We are flying Continental. I just checked and we can have 2 bags each since we booked before the change went into effect.

Thanks for all the great information. I guess I will pack a seperate suitcase for the land portion or perhaps just send some of the clothes to be cleaned on the ship to reduce the amount of baggage. Although that will increase the cost. I guess everything is a trade off.

I am facing the exact problem right now. Keep in mind that if your bag weighs over 50lbs, you will most likely be charged $50.00. However, a second bag is only $25.00 to check, so it is cheaper to just check a second bag then run the risk of your bag weighing too much.

Keep in mind that a second checked bag going round trip will cost $50.

What my DW and I decided to do is to bring one maximum allowable size suitcase each, weighed in at less than 50 lbs. Also one max allowable size carry on suitcase and one backpack.

I'm packing a collapsible thin canvas bag (rectangular with carry straps) in case we buy stuff to bring home. It will cost $25 more for the return trip but will be cheaper than going overweight on our primary suitcases which I'm sure will just be under the 50 lb weight limit on initial packing.

Skygliders

I just got back from Alaska on NCL Pearl before I left you were allowed two bags per person but as of 5/5/08 you are only allowed 1 bag per person. I had to pay 25 dollars for my additional bag, going home. Z Man

Allow extra time for checking in your bags and do a practice packing to make sure you aren't overweight. I do not agree with the person who posted above who said that a backpack doesn't count toward your allowed cabin baggage. If the flight is full, the FA's and gate agents can force you to gate check bags..... and they do so!

This all will affect the dress code on cruise ships, starting right now.

So do we know yet if you have one bag check in already. Will they charge

you for a 2nd even if its checked in at the gate at the agents request?

What airline were you flying with? I was under the impression that if you purchased your return ticket before the second bag charge went into effect that you wouldn't be charged even if you were flying back after that date. That's how Continental explained it to me on the phone.

What airline were you flying with? I was under the impression that if you purchased your return ticket before the second bag charge went into effect that you wouldn't be charged even if you were flying back after that date. That's how Continental explained it to me on the phone.

Some airlines will grandfather in your 2nd bags if you purchase them before

the announcement date. But some are charging for a 2nd bag regardless

when you purchase the tickets. Hmm this sounds like a fuel charge issue that

some cruiselines had a issue with the General Attorney of Florida....

So do we know yet if you have one bag check in already. Will they charge

you for a 2nd even if its checked in at the gate at the agents request?

Darn good question! So far I don't think they are charging for gate checked bags.

On a flight this recently there was a great deal of discord over who could put what into the overhead bins on a 3 hour long flight. My own (one only) carry on bag was squashed as a very strong person insisted on cramming his large and heavy bag into the overhead bin.

It is going to be an unpleasant travel season! Tempers are already short as people are trying to carry on another bag to avoid paying $25.

We purchased our tickets prior to all the new luggage regulations- we are flying Alaska Airlines. If purchased prior, their rules say- you are under the rules when you purchased.

I intend to bring my original booking information, that is dated - and the website information that states the rules. Just in case the persons checking in the luggage does not have our date of purchase information.

I find if I am carrying all that info- then I never need it. Only when I do not have all my "ducks in a row"- do I run into trouble.

Next trip- only one checked bag- this one- maybe two- Ruth

We booked in Jan. for trip to Seattle with NWA. I e-mailed them the other day because I was confused with all the date language they were using. They said we would be able to take 2 bags/person SO I too have copied this and am putting it with all my "papers" to go. Being paranoid as I am, I will probably call them closer to our July 11th flight to be sure AGAIN. CRAZY!:eek:

Archived