duty free shopping in Villa

TSJE4

Hi the shop you are talking about is the last shop on the left hand side of the road through the city [or town if you like] But first I would check out the prices in other stores. Sometimes they are cheaper in some things.
yes that is the best idea, the duty free shop at the and of the st as you have said is normaly the best, but it pays to check the others out.

I have just been in April and Fung Kuei Main was definitely the best for alcohol. I got two bottles of Absolut vodka for $15 each! Unbelievable bargain! I loved that they just swiped my cruise card, I paid and then it was delivered to me on the ship on the last night. So easy!

Their bags and perfume were not too great. Not a big selection. Most of the other duty-free shops seemed a lot more expensive, especially for perfume. Duty-free prices way to expensive in comparison to Priceline and Chemist Warehouse.

I asked our tour guide to drop me off at the best duty-free in downtown Vila and they dropped us right outside Fung Kuei Main.

I have just been in April and Fung Kuei Main was definitely the best for alcohol. I got two bottles of Absolut vodka for $15 each! Unbelievable bargain! I loved that they just swiped my cruise card, I paid and then it was delivered to me on the ship on the last night. So easy!

Their bags and perfume were not too great. Not a big selection. Most of the other duty-free shops seemed a lot more expensive, especially for perfume. Duty-free prices way to expensive in comparison to Priceline and Chemist Warehouse.

I asked our tour guide to drop me off at the best duty-free in downtown Vila and they dropped us right outside Fung Kuei Main.

thats great to see they are still cheap.

I Have found that alcohol and cigs are about the same price at each duty free store.

Bought a video camera at a DF store [ owned by an australian ] then found it $200 cheaper at a store in melbourne city, so stay away from electronics in Vila and also DF on the ship.

We never buy any thing electronic from there, its eazzyer to get it fixed if bought from oz, others may say different that cool. but thats what we do.

Hi Yatchet, anyone would be mad to buy electrical items in Vila. The guarantee wouldn't be worth the money it's written on for a start, as it'd be too much bother to send items back if they broke. I wouldn't risk it, anyway.

Hi Yatchet, anyone would be mad to buy electrical items in Vila. The guarantee wouldn't be worth the money it's written on for a start, as it'd be too much bother to send items back if they broke. I wouldn't risk it, anyway.

The camera is now passed its warranty and still works fine.

However if you shop around in aus for electronics they can be found much cheaper than duty free shops. Certainly much less than DF on the ship.

However if you shop around in aus for electronics they can be found much cheaper than duty free shops. Certainly much less than DF on the ship.

and even cheaper when you TRS it when you fly or cruise out of the country

Yes, DH gets most of his excellent deals on the net. It's a competition between son and his dad to see who can get the cheapest. He recently got a netbook as he reckons my laptop is too heavy to take on holidays, and it was not worth waiting for this cruise to get the lousy TRS amount off. He got a good deal locally for just the machine he wanted.

you can buy the items up to 30 day before you leave and you can use the items before you leave, but you have to take the item with you when you leave for TRS, it only takes a few min, and claim any thing over $300.00 and there is a limit on how much. but the most importent thing would the warranty better being safe then sorry I think.

you can buy the items up to 30 day before you leave and you can use the items before you leave, but you have to take the item with you when you leave for TRS, it only takes a few min, and claim any thing over $300.00 and there is a limit on how much. but the most importent thing would the warranty better being safe then sorry I think.

The only limit is the amount of duty free goods that a person can bring in. There is no limit for TRS.

The limit of duty free goods is $900 per person, and a family can combine their allowances. In my opinion, this allowance seems rather 'elastic'. Late last year our son bought camera gear worth around $5000 and claimed TRS on leaving Aus. At the time he asked what would happen on his return because he would be bringing in goods worth more than $900. They said they could combine his allowance with others he was travelling with (although only a couple were family). He was prepared to pay back the extra TRS amount he had already received. On arriving at Brisbane airport he ticked the box saying he had more than the allowed $900 worth. After a few pleasant words with the Customs man, he was told he was OK and could leave. He was not asked to pay back the difference.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4728.asp

For other goods, limits apply. These include goods that are purchased overseas and goods that are purchased in Australia duty or tax free (that have been previously exported), or from an inwards duty free shop on arrival into Australia. Also included are goods for which a TRS claim has been made.

Duty free concessions do not apply to commercial goods.

General goods

If you are aged 18 years or over, you can bring up to A$900 worth of general goods into Australia duty-free. If you are under 18 years of age there is a A$450 limit. General goods include gifts, souvenirs, cameras, electronic equipment, leather goods, perfume concentrates, jewellery, watches and sporting equipment.

Alcohol

If you are aged 18 years or over, you can bring 2.25 litres of alcohol duty-free into Australia with you. All alcohol in accompanied baggage is included in this category, regardless of where or how it was purchased.

Tobacco

If you are aged 18 years or over, you can bring 250 cigarettes, or 250 grams of cigars or tobacco products duty-free into Australia with you. All tobacco products in accompanied baggage are included in this category, regardless of where or how they were purchased.

The main thing is when buying over seas is to check the warranty, and guarantee on the item you buy. At the end of the day it’s up to you if you want to guy it or not.

There are some great cheap watches in the villa duty free shops along with a lot of other great things. As well as a lot of knock offs so to speak, hand bags, perfumes and the like.

we were in Vila a few weeks ago and i noticed with the Winfield smokes they were $27 per carton of 250 at Fung Keiu but the other duty free shop on the same side about half way down had them for the same price (not sure about alcohol prices as i didnt bother buying any)

rkmw

That is rediculously cheap! Im smiling I can tell you ...Much better than $107 :D

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My Wife & i are Cruising in early November to Port Vila & was wondering about the best Duty Free, Not interested in Cigarettes or Alcohol, My wife is looking for designer accessories & General Clothing, As well as local handicrafts.

Any idea on the best place to go, prices we she should expect to pay & so on.

We have purchased approximately 40,000 Vatu Will this be enough???:)

My Wife & i are Cruising in early November to Port Vila & was wondering about the best Duty Free, Not interested in Cigarettes or Alcohol, My wife is looking for designer accessories & General Clothing, As well as local handicrafts.

Any idea on the best place to go, prices we she should expect to pay & so on.

We have purchased approximately 40,000 Vatu Will this be enough???:)

There are a couple of nice boutiques half way down the main street in Port Vila, on the harbour side of the street (left hand side as you go down towards Fung Kuei). Copy designer accessories are available in Fung Kuei - they happily tell the customers that they are copies. For local handicrafts, the best place would be the markets - either the stalls behind the shops in the main street (along the harbour front) or the stalls near the ship. Unfortunately a lot of the stock on offer are cheap Asian imports, but there are some lovely wood carvings as well as locally made sarongs & shell jewellery.

I would think you can go on a shopping spree with 40,000 vatu. We usually use AUD so if your wife runs out of vatu, just use Aussie dollars.

Copy Designer goods is what she is after for herself & as gifts, Mainly hand Bags I would imagine, Any idea what is the average price at Fung Kuei ???:confused:

I bought a beautiful soft leather bag (modern large style), designer label for AUD$40. They had quite a big range. When you walk into the shop go to the right and then part way to the back of the store.

The alcohol and cigarettes (that might interest other travellers) are to the left when you walk in. You can't miss that area because it is always teeming with people.:)

On P&O they usually have a special deal for the first two days -10% of alcohol etc. We found that the Fung Kuei was still cheaper than P&O's best deal for Baileys ... plus they had a bigger range (of Baileys) than P&O and they seemed to have some VERY large bottles of alcohol that I didn't notice in other grog shops.

I bought a very nice leather wallet at Prouds for $60 - I seem to recall when I was talking to the girl in Prouds about wallets in Downtown DF, told me that Prouds owns the Downtown DF shop too - so you probably won't get much variation in price between those two stores.

• 2 weeks later...

Fung Kui is the best shop for buying duty free Grog and ciggies but if you want Fragrances you are better off in Aussie at the Shopping Centre Booths. They are genuine and much Cheaper than duty free. Believe me I have sussed it out. Get your prices here and then compare. Kevin the owner of Fung Kuis' is great.

Archived