duty free shopping in Villa

TSJE4

Fung Kui is the best shop for buying duty free Grog and ciggies but if you want Fragrances you are better off in Aussie at the Shopping Centre Booths. They are genuine and much Cheaper than duty free. Believe me I have sussed it out. Get your prices here and then compare. Kevin the owner of Fung Kuis' is great.

I agree. I did the same comparison on perfume and cosmetics - with on line shopping and of all places - Chemists Warehouse and found Vila (and shipboard) prices much more expensive.

Colleen

Fung Kui is the best shop for buying duty free Grog and ciggies but if you want Fragrances you are better off in Aussie at the Shopping Centre Booths. They are genuine and much Cheaper than duty free. Believe me I have sussed it out. Get your prices here and then compare. Kevin the owner of Fung Kuis' is great.

I agree too. I have also bought perfume from these shops in Vila before and they were old stock so the perfume was off (And I couldn't return it :mad:).

I agree too. I have also bought perfume from these shops in Vila before and they were old stock so the perfume was off (And I couldn't return it :mad:).

When we go to Vila we always buy our alcohol at Fung Kuei, but on one occasion I looked at the perfume and the boxes were covered with dust. I didn't care what the price was when I saw that. I think the price is not very competitive so it doesn't sell well. Down Town Duty Free in Vila sells perfume and seems to move their stock reasonably well, although I have found that the prices on the ship are quite good, particularly when you get the extra 10% off in the first two days of the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Really if you want to shop, cruising is not the place to go. Go to Asia. Only if you are interested in local handcrafts or Grass skirts that are made in China. Only ciggies and grog are worth looking at in Villa. I don't partake of either so I don't care. I go for shipboard life and the people I meet. Each to their own.

Really if you want to shop, cruising is not the place to go. Go to Asia. Only if you are interested in local handcrafts or Grass skirts that are made in China. Only ciggies and grog are worth looking at in Villa. I don't partake of either so I don't care. I go for shipboard life and the people I meet. Each to their own.

I don't think any of us go to the islands to shop, but while we are there it is interesting to know where to go if you do want to shop.:)

• 4 months later...
Just ask the cabbie to take you to Fung Kuei. As you come from the ship, it is at the far end of the street on the left. It is a pale yellow two storey building. As someone else has said, don't try to walk from the ship. It would take about an hour, and the footpaths are non-existent when you are away from the main street. Depending on when you go the weather will be hot and humid or very hot and very humid.

The alcohol & cigarette prices are a lot cheaper than on the ship and the range available is incredible. :):)

Evon.

I agree that Fung Kuei is a great place to shop and very cheap duty free but dont catch a cab there , walk to the cruise terminal gate and get on one of heaps of the local mini buses waiting there as you exit the wharf, they will get you to within 2 minutes walk to the duty free shop for around $3 Australian the taxi's are a lot more expensive.

They usually drop you off in the centre of Vila and facing the water turn right and Fung Kuei is the last shop on the water side of the road.

I would recommend you check it out and then spend your time around Vila or surrounds and get your duty free just before you have to get back to the ship as sometimes they give you your purchase as you leave the store and not as previously said, deliver it to the ship and of course you don't want to be carrying it around with you all day.

Getting back to the ship is as easy as hailing one of the mini buses as they will stop for you any where, these can be identified by a red B on the number plate.

While in Vila spend the day at Iriki Resort, it is free to travel over on the ferry which you can catch close to the market square, you can use some of the facilities for free and get a great lunch for around $20.

The pub next door to Fung Kuei also serves a great lunch and you also get great views of Port Vila Harbour

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in knowing, if you purchase 3 or more 100 ml bottles of perfume onboard the ship, you get an extra 25% or 30% off per bottle. I know this was the case a couple of years back, so its worth looking in to and is much cheaper than the islands.

Archived