Celebrity's new smoking policy

puli

But we are THRILLED with the new smoking policy - that is the problem with smokers - they are so rude. Twice onboard cruise ships I have had pieces of clothing get burn holes in them because some stupid drunk with a cigarette 'fell' into me! The only think worse than a smoker is a drunk smoker!

and...

Now that Celebrity is non-smoking on the balconies I can say to all smokers who have a problem with it "GET A LIFE!" While there are still choices out there for smokers to enjoy a balcony and smoke

Y'know, I just want to take a moment to say that, while I'm a non-smoker and am personally happy about their new policy, I am very uncomfortable with the nastiness directed at smokers by some in here. I do not agree that "all" smokers are rude...and I'm uncomfortable with all of the sniping that gets directed at smokers. I've encountered rude smokers...and rude non-smokers...and some very polite, considerate smokers who recognize that their practice causes discomfort to some and make an effort to enjoy their habit without negatively impacting others.

I just wanted to say that. I do wish that some posters would exercise some restraint in here. I get tired of watching all the threads disappear because of this kind of behavior...not just on this topic, but others that inspire strong feelings as well.

I will admit that I feel sorry for all the cruiser souls who get deathly ill at just the smell of smoke on the open decks of the Caribbean. Barbeques must be hell.

File this under the heading of "setting the record straight", but...smoke from barbecues is simply not in the same category as tobacco smoke. First of all, it doesn't smell nearly as unpleasant...in fact, depending on the chef, it can smell quite lovely! Tobacco smoke, on the other hand, smells so unpleasant to many non-smokers that it can strongly impact our ability to even taste our food. This can be even more true for ex-smokers, or those who are allergic to tobacco smoke (and such allergies do exist). I have yet to hear of someone who is allergic to smoke from a barbecue...but I'm sure if someone like that exists, they probably just avoid them! It's a little harder to avoid tobacco smoke...you generally don't find barbecue smoke wafting into your bedroom on a cruise ship.

Second of all, barbecue smoke does not contain the same toxins, or cause the same health risks, as second-hand smoke. So I object to the insinuation that non-smokers are unreasonably targeting cigarette smoke. Not a fair comparison.

Can you imagine if we all played fair in here? Not that I expect it, given the history of this forum...but it's nice to dream, huh?

I will admit that I feel sorry for all the cruiser souls who get deathly ill at just the smell of smoke on the open decks of the Caribbean. Barbeques must be hell.

You know I was at a large outdoor BBQ for a summer event and I thought I was going to die from the smoke from the large pits. They used charcoal lighter fluid! Not only did my eyes burn beyond belief from the smoke, the food tasted like burning chemicals and I thought if I ate the food beyond the bite I took I might expire instantly.

So yes, I get the analogy, and I agree, if I only smell tobacco that's fine, at least I don't have to eat it.

and...

Y'know, I just want to take a moment to say that, while I'm a non-smoker and am personally happy about their new policy, I am very uncomfortable with the nastiness directed at smokers by some in here. I do not agree that "all" smokers are rude...and I'm uncomfortable with all of the sniping that gets directed at smokers. I've encountered rude smokers...and rude non-smokers...and some very polite, considerate smokers who recognize that their practice causes discomfort to some and make an effort to enjoy their habit without negatively impacting others.

I just wanted to say that. I do wish that some posters would exercise some restraint in here. I get tired of watching all the threads disappear because of this kind of behavior...not just on this topic, but others that inspire strong feelings as well.

What a obnoxious post.Please start practicing what you preach!You follow this by berating a smoker for their opinion

What a obnoxious post.Please start practicing what you preach!You follow this by berating a smoker for their opinion

How odd that you consider my post to be more obnoxious than shouting "GET A LIFE" to people. :rolleyes:

Btw, methinks you need to go read the definition of "berating"...and then go back and re-read my post. All I did was set the record straight on the difference between the two types of smoke.

Personally, I prefer to discuss the issues and topics, rather than directing negative comments to people. Try this. It usually leads to more pleasant threads...that have less of a chance of disappearing into cyberspace...as this one probably will if posters continue to direct personal insults to people.

=Leejnd4;14773340]How odd that you consider my post to be more obnoxious than shouting "GET A LIFE" to people. :rolleyes:

Personally, I prefer to discuss the issues and topics, rather than directing negative comments to people.

I agree...I am a smoker and I find your posts fair and you are willing to discuss rather than be judgmental

The posts by some of the non-smokers make me feel like I am constantly looking for a way for me to infrindge on their rights.....yours do not. Thanks for being objective.

I agree...I am a smoker and I find your posts fair and you are willing to discuss rather than be judgmental

The posts by some of the non-smokers make me feel like I am constantly looking for a way for me to infrindge on their rights.....yours do not. Thanks for being objective.

Thanks. It's the nature of message boards. I actively participate in several message boards, and I have a personal principle that I try to stick to: never to say anything in a post that I wouldn't say to someone's face. Sometimes I get hurt or upset at things people post to me and my reactions might get a bit strong...but I tend to think that if someone said to MY face what they sometimes say to me in posts, I probably WOULD respond that way in person!

But the reality is, most people who post insulting, hurtful or outrageous posts would NEVER in a million years say those things to your face.

What I do not understand is this, if only 20 percent of the population smoke...how is it that you could possibly get surrounded on your balcony from all sides with smokers? Or one below and one to the side. What are the odds of that?

Now I understand why someone came up with the saying, "get a life."

Because most of the smokers on the ship book cabins with balcony's so that they can smoke out there. So using 20 percent of the population doesn't hold in this case. Every single cruise with a balcony, we have had smokers on either side of us. What are the odds of that? I don't know, but I don't like those odds. I just went over my list of cruises in my signature and made sure it was not just one or two bad memories. No it was every single time we had a balcony we were affected by cigarettes. :(

No it was every single time we had a balcony we were affected by cigarettes. :(

And that is why I booked a balcony prior to this non-smoking policy so that I could enjoy a smoke on the balcony......now that this is no longer valid....its the last time that I will cruise on X!!! In the meantime I will abide by their rules! My gain --their loss....in the long run...

Archived