OK Naples planning freak out

:eek: OK I got some great info from other threads on tour guides for Naples but heres my freak out, I sopke to relative who visits that coast every year and she has me jammed and confused now. She said toooo much traffic in July to try to get to Positano and back in short port time(7-4). She said just do Amalfi with tour from ship to ensure back in time. Boo not what I wanted to hear. Anyone been in July could you tell me if she's correct??? I'm not a ship tour person, so could I find a driver to go Amalfi and Ravello alone or do they only follow their set trip plans? Sorry for long post.

Lee Anne:confused:

Cannot really help you from experience as I am not going until October this year. Agree that the ship's tours leave a lot to be desired and always try and do our own. If you stick to one of the tour operators recommended on the board, I think they will do their darnest to get you back on time. Should you be hesitant to do the full itinerary, tell them you do not mind skipping the last stop as long as you get back to the ship on time. Your next port will probably be not too far and should the ship have left without you, always have a back-up plan. Be it train, air or bus you should be able to catch up at the next port as the Europe distances are not too far and public transportation is very good. BE SURE TO HAVE YOUR PASSPORT ON YOUR PERSON. Good luck and enjoy.

We were there last August for one day. I don't recall the times but it was only the day. We not only made it to Positano we also went to Pompeii and had a great lunch in Sorrento. It is certainly do able. The tour guides in this area know the traffic patterns and I am sure would advise you if they thought time was getting short and you need to head back. Go.

Β 

This was with a private car and driver.

Thank you all so much...thats what I was planning based on these boards but then paniced:eek: Persistenzaretinika, how long will the drive be from Naples to Positano with traffic?? Ok I'll take a breath and go ahead with my plan:D feeling better.

Lee Anne

• 2 weeks later...

What about planning to take a hydrofoil back instead? We haven't been in July, but being there several times from late August/early September, I would guess the traffic could be bad. Given the road, if there is a problem the traffic goes from bad to horrid! Plan it to keep your stress down. No fun just barely making it back to the ship. Yes, you are back, but it isn't fun at all and all that worrying will kill a great experience.

We've only taken a train or car from Naples, so I can't help that if you want to leave on the hydrofol/ferry from Naples. I know I have seen numerous posts about that. But the peir in Positano is super easy to find as it is essentially right in the middle of the lower/beach area. There are lots of posts here that could give you the details as well as on the Fodor's message boards.

Β 

I think the drive from Naples to Positano (or places before and after) is not to be missed. We have done it in a car and on a local bus. The bus was a real experience! Unnerving at times, but overall fun and super cheap. It will take longer than a private car though.

Β 

Are you just planning to visit Positano or are you hoping to make stops on the way? If making stops, I would take a car service there with brief stops (maybe even just scenic stops along the way and not full on walk around stops). And then take the ferry back. If you are just planning a leisurely day wandering around Positano, then take either a car or bus to Positano. I think if you do it early (and mid-week I'm assuming), you'll be fine and the view from the road is awesome. And then take the ferry back. If you will be back in the area again or have already done the drive, do the ferry both ways. The views from the ferry will be spectular too. If you don't want to be starting at 7:00 AM, then ferry it both ways.

Β 

If you arrive via car or bus, you will start near the top of Positano, not complete top, but you can easily walk up a little to the touristy aeas around there. Back the way you came for some stores and if you keep going south on the one way road to Le Sirenuse, the balcony scene from Under the Tuscan Sun, and amazing views down to the beach. If I am recalling correctly, you might even be able to get off one stop after the main one for Positano. That way you avoid walking up the hill a bit. In July all that walking can be tiring.

Β 

From there you can slowly walk down to the beach. Lots of little shops, plenty of places for food and drink. Although it is touristy, having lunch at one of the beachfront restaurants is a must for us. La Cambusa is one of our favorite restaurants anywhere. There are several other excellent choices. Then at the bottom of Positano is the pier for the ferry back to Naples. I think walking about Positano and a leisurely lunch are very doable in your short period of time. It is a very small town and a lot of the stores are very similar. Still it is my personal heaven on earth.

Thank you so much for so much detail. I just posted a new thread with driver itinerary. But now you have me re-thinking b/c you are rigth leisurely may be more our style. the post says Positano, Amalfi and ravello. I sent email asking if we drove down and did hydrofoil back from Sorrento . ideas?

:eek: OK I got some great info from other threads on tour guides for Naples but heres my freak out, I sopke to relative who visits that coast every year and she has me jammed and confused now. She said toooo much traffic in July to try to get to Positano and back in short port time(7-4). She said just do Amalfi with tour from ship to ensure back in time. Boo not what I wanted to hear. Anyone been in July could you tell me if she's correct??? I'm not a ship tour person, so could I find a driver to go Amalfi and Ravello alone or do they only follow their set trip plans? Sorry for long post.

Β 

Yes, we were in Naples last July with a port time of 7:00am to 6:00pm. We went to Pompeii for 2 hours, short stop in Sorrento, a restaurant (driver called his friend and order placed while we were driving) and stop in Positano. I had to shoot a picture of the Amalfi Cathedral from out the window as there was no time to stop. He was speeding to get us back to the ship by 5:00pm. So, you have 2 less hours than us. So, about the same time (without Pompeii). You could do it with a pick-up at 8:00am and leave by 1:00pm, allowing 2 hours to get back to the ship at 3:00pm. I'd skip any sit down lunch...

Β 

Hi, We haven't been there in July since the 1980s, but we were there last month with Princess. We had a private driver - van or car - your choice. His name is Emilio Esposito - out of Sorrento. If you tell him where you want to go and when you want to be back, he will do the job. He is affable, reliable and an excellent driver. He can be reached at http://www.taxisorrento.com or at info@taxisorrento.com. Just ask for Emilio. It was the first time we used him and we were very pleased. He took us from Sorrento, through Positano, Amalfi and up to Ravello. Just be prepared for Euro shock. Amalfi was jam packed and it was only May. Hope this helps a bit. Charlie C.

Jade13- thank you for your advice. I know it is a short stay but I dont know when I'll be back and just muxt get to Positano, so I'd be fine skipping sit down lunch-good idea!!

Charlie C. Would oyu be willing to share what you paid for the driver for the day? I was quoted 400E for day with three town stops no pompei.

Was Amalfi worth the stop?

Β 

:) Lee Anne

Archived