Need info on the Wifi on Amadeus Swiss pearl

jeax

Hi

Has anyone been on the Swiss Pearl and tried to use the wifi to access email? How was it? Quick? slow? going down a lot? A good thing to have? Were you frustrated with it or not?

I am going in three weeks and am not sure if I should lug my laptop or not. I'd love to hacve access to my email but would hate to lug a laptop to Europe only to not really be able to use it....

Thank you

Jeax

Jeax,

I´m not sure whether the SWISS PEARL has WiFi at all. This ship is owned by the Swiss company Scylla Tours and built in 1993. It´s only partially chartered to Amadeus Waterways. I´ve never heard that any of the Swiss ships does have WiFi. Neither the Scylla website nor any of the German websites where this cruise is offered are mentioning WiFi for the SWISS PEARL.

steamboats

Hi Steamboats

Thank you for answering.

I am not sure when it was installed but it does have wifi - just no computers. So if you want to use it you have to bring your own laptop.

They charge by the amount of data that you download - not by time...I have no idea how that wroks nor how expensive ti can become when reading email...

Amadeus is only on it's second or third cruise on this ship/route - May 4th (??) I think was the first time they set sail. Perhaps they said it was a requirement if the boat was to be leased.

I just wish I knew if it is worth the trouble to take the laptop or if it is going to be very expensive and frustrating.

Regards

Jeax

HI Jeax,

We were on the Swiss Pearl's first Paris-Barcelona cruise in April. I did not have a laptop but several passengers did and they were able to use them when the service was working. The cost was very reasonable and as you said it wasn't based on time. People were very nice about letting us share their laptops to check our mail or write home.

You will love this cruise. If you'd like to read my review check the thread Amadeus Paris to Barcelona. Would be happy to answer any other questions.

Lorraine

Lorraine

If you were taking this cruise now - know what you now know - would you carry your laptop?

I have a friend who did this cruise - she carried her laptop but only used it twice - and went and found internet cafes while docked. She did say that that was a sort of hit and miss situation though....

The time in Barcelona and Paris is covered - I'll just use the hotel Business Centers as I am staying at Hiltons...it's just the 7 days upon the Swiss Pearl that I am concerned about. I hate taking a laptop anywhere - I find ti to be a royal pain.

Thanks

Jeax

Jeax,

No, if I were you I would leave my laptop at home. It will probably just cause you a lot of frustration when you can't get online. Your friend is right about internet cafes being scarce in these ports. I don't think we found one until we reached Avignon which was at the end of our trip. To make matters worse there were holidays for two days in Paris and Barcelona when EVERYTHING was closed.

I don't know if you'll be paying for the internet at the Hilton, but in Barcelona there's an internet cafe right on the Ramblas that is very cheap - I think it was one euro for half an hour.

Lorraine

Archived