What happens if late payment on final cruise bill?

Hi!

I'm sailing on the Mariner 8/31 and my final payment is due with my online TA June 12th. I wanted to wait until I received my rebate check to pay, however, I'm afraid it may not arrive in time (scheduled the 20th.) Does anyone know what happens if you are late on the final payment?

Come and visit roll call some more! I didn't catch your name(s) ! We have a big list of stuff we're doing too!

Ok, everyone can believe what they want. I am done arguing with everyone. I have never had a credit card and I have no need for one. I have never once had anything charged fraudulently that I couldn't clear up with the bank. Do what you want pay with credit cards if you want, I am done trying to convince you otherwise.

Most check cards are backed by the same companies and are just as secure. Any charge can be disputed, and a company charging you for something and not delivering is illegal anyway so by law they would have to refund whatever you paid.

And if the company goes bust, then there is no money to pay you, even if they have to by law. A check card does not have the securities that a credit card does, it's almost as insecure as writing a check

I must be getting older because I was taught that if you sign a contract with specific dates and times for payments it is your obligation to be on time. Waiting around for the stimulus check should not qualify for an extension. I would imagine that the cruise was booked before we even knew the dates of the checks were to be deposited so the OP should have had other plans to pay for the cruise. Just because it would be easier for him should not be taken into consideration. What a mess it would be if 300-400 hundred of us decided to wait a few days after the deadline. We would all be moaning and groaning that RCL canceled our cruise.

RCL is a business. For those who own their own business and have all the business that you can handle like RCL would you put up with a customer that likes to pay late because it is easier for him.

Do not mean to be to grumpy but just ran end of month reports and was looking at the accounts receivables and over due accounts.

We currently use the RCI credit card from BOA for almost everything and pay it off at the end of the month. We're doing the 46 day Mariner Around the Horn cruise in January '09 and will have enough points for a $500 discount on each of the three segments. I understand the mind set of those who don't want to have credit cards but it has been more years than I can remember that we've had a balance carried over from one month to the next. The rewards we have received on our various cards (free airfare, rebates on gas and other purchases, discounts on cruises) all without paying one cent more than if we had paid cash have made it a no brainer for us. You just have to have the discipline not to charge more than you can afford to pay off in the billing cycle.

We are using all of my AMEX points (250,000) for the last 7 years to pay for our Sovereign cruise, we were saving it for a raining day - I take my time to pay everything, its my money no sense in parting with it even a minute early:D

We currently use the RCI credit card from BOA for almost everything and pay it off at the end of the month. We're doing the 46 day Mariner Around the Horn cruise in January '09 and will have enough points for a $500 discount on each of the three segments. I understand the mind set of those who don't want to have credit cards but it has been more years than I can remember that we've had a balance carried over from one month to the next. The rewards we have received on our various cards (free airfare, rebates on gas and other purchases, discounts on cruises) all without paying one cent more than if we had paid cash have made it a no brainer for us. You just have to have the discipline not to charge more than you can afford to pay off in the billing cycle.

DITTO!!!!!!!

This is exactly what I do and pay it in full every month and I had over 1000.00 in OBC last year for my cruises. It doesn't cost me anything to use the card as I would need to pay for everything I charge on it anyway and those points add up fast as I use it for everything including booking cruises and all purchases with RCCL for the extra royal points. This is only good if you are able to pay it in full each month like we do and as someone did mention....... not everyone has the opportunity to do so as they have other committments in their lives but if you can...........it's a great deal! :) I love that RCCL Visa card:D

Thats good that you could do that, but some may have circumstances that don't allow to run up a large charge and pay the balance off at the end of the month. With kids in school I sure don't have that luxury at times.

If some people "have circumstances that don"t allow them to run up a large charge and pay the balance off at the end of the month", then those people probably shouldn't be running up those large charges to begin with! If you don't have "those luxuries", then use some restraint. If you can't afford to pay for it when the bill comes, don't buy it in the first place!

Paying off a credit card every month does not help your credit any and can actually hurt your credit because you are not actually financing anything.

So they say, but I don't think it's true. I've NEVER carried a balance (or paid one single cent in interest!), and my credit score is over 800. We use our credit card for everything (but never buy things we can't afford to pay for), pay off the balance every month, and use the perks for airline travel, cashback, and even onboard credit. :)

So they say, but I don't think it's true. I've NEVER carried a balance (or paid one single cent in interest!), and my credit score is over 800. We use our credit card for everything (but never buy things we can't afford to pay for), pay off the balance every month, and use the perks for airline travel, cashback, and even onboard credit. :)

You might be right about that. I have no personal experience with credit cards as I try to stay away from them. I have a very impulsive nature and a credit card would just get me in trouble. Congats to everyone who is able to have a credit card and use it responsibly.

Thanks J and everyone else! I am in your boat as well. I'm only 26, and frankly, credit cards got me in a lot of trouble in college!:) I am also a CPA (in response to previous post), and am getting sick of the rebate calls as well! I try to stay away from CC's as much as I can, but realize the perks. I have plenty of options to pay, and plenty of 'security' through USAA in booking, whether it be by debit or credit card. I appreciate all of your comments.

Hi!

I'm sailing on the Mariner 8/31 and my final payment is due with my online TA June 12th. I wanted to wait until I received my rebate check to pay, however, I'm afraid it may not arrive in time (scheduled the 20th.) Does anyone know what happens if you are late on the final payment?

So what was the final outcome. I could see no grace to hey its okay if you miss it.

I think all TAs must have two deadlines, one for themselves and one they must honor to the cruise line to get their commision. Its always in the TAs interest to keep the booking as if it is canceled, no sales and NO commission. That has got to be a huge incentive for all the TAs :D

I just had to pay the final payment for 11 people. We called our discount TA on the day it was due and found a nice surprise that there was nother price reduction and they'd allow us to delay a few days while the processed the reduction. That few days delay allowed us to cycle to the next billing cycle on our credit card, how cool was that, saved some bucks and pushed the payment out another 30 days :cool:

That isn't always the case. Scores are based not only on what you pay off but also how much you charge, your record of paying installments and other factors. It isn't somethign they share nor is it a static rule for everyone.

We were suprised during our recent mortage refinance that we didn't have umm a better score. It didn't change our rate, but it hurt our "credit" score that we charged huge sums on our credit card and paying them all off ( all in the name of lots of freebies :D ) didn't seem to matter at all. I think what dragged us down was we were clearly charging simply at an insane pace that far exceeded my base pay and these credit scores don't take into account things like networth, stock options etc. That is why in the end securing your mortgage or other loan should be about more then your credit score.

Paying off a credit card every month does not help your credit any and can actually hurt your credit because you are not actually financing anything.

you should tell that to the credit agencies... they seem to be confused as i have an unusually high credit score for someone my age...

Thats good that you could do that, but some may have circumstances that don't allow to run up a large charge and pay the balance off at the end of the month. With kids in school I sure don't have that luxury at times.

that's the "trick" - not running up a large charge that you can't pay!

and yes, i know this post didn't start off to discuss credit card v. debit cards, but i'm always happy to share my experiences so that other people can learn from them - even if they're slightly off topic. ;)

Archived