Bringing Wine on board...

We just got back from an Alaskan cruise on the Carnival Spirit. I had thought they charged a corkage fee when you brought wine on board but they never said a thing to us. We bought 2 bottles in our first port (Ketchikan), brought them on board, put them through the x-ray machine and walked right through. Did the same thing on our 4th port (Sitka). We popped a bottle each night in our room and enjoyed a few glasses of wine on our balcony before dinner viewing the scenary.

Oh yeah....also brought 3 rumrunners on board from the get go, in our checked luggage. No problem. We enjoyed some Patron' and Vodka drinks the first couple of nights..

Most cruise lines will only charge the corkage fee if you take your wine to the dining rooms.

NCL is the exception they charge you the fee for just bringing aboard.

• 2 weeks later...
Most cruise lines will only charge the corkage fee if you take your wine to the dining rooms.

NCL is the exception they charge you the fee for just bringing aboard.

You're so right about NCL. I sailed on the NCL Star to the Mexican Riviera last spring and took a bottle of wine onboard. I was charged $15 for corkage. However, I think it was worth it. The DH and I are not big, not even, small drinkers, more like tiny drinkers, so the bottle lasted us three nights at dinner. We had one glass each, each night. Had we bought a bottle on the ship it would have cost more than what we paid for our bottle of wine and corkage fee.

Now that they x-ray your luggage before you board it is easy for them to find booze in your checked luggage. On our last cruise a woman I had met on the CC board got caught. She had to go to the "naughty room" to retrieve her luggage. They kept her booze to give back to her when the cruise was over. She thought it was funny. I would have died of embarassment. To each his own!!;)

• 2 weeks later...

OK. So NCL is out for us. We drink wine that cost @$15 or less a bottle - so not interested in paying $15 just for un-corking it. We've cruised NCL in the past - but based on this - we won't even consider this silliness in the future. UGH

• 3 weeks later...
Do you think I could bring in one of those boxes of wine? I am going to be on NCL Sprirt. If they charge $15 for the box, that's fine becaust the box holds at least 2 bottles of wine.

Batt01 - Boxed wine would work in your cabin. My wife had previously removed the inner bladder form the box, layed it flat in her checked luggage.

She the puts the entire bladder ito the cabin refrigerator to keep it cold. The spout faces the front of the fridge for easy pouring.

I just got back from the NCL Majesty trip. I took a box of wine in my luggage and it went thru with no problem. I didn't take the bladder out of the box - just packed it in a trash bag(in case it leaked) with my clothes.

In the room, I set it up on the dresser and was never questioned. Good luck!

Archived