Passing other cruise ships in Alaska?

kayden

I know when I ride the BC Ferries system here I enjoy it when we pass other ferries. Does this happen a lot on Alaska cruises?

If so, does the ship make an announcement that we will be passing another ship? Do more than 1 ship dock in ports like Juneau at a time?

If so, does the ship make an announcement that we will be passing another ship? Do more than 1 ship dock in ports like Juneau at a time?
I've never heard an announcement when another cruise ship is seen (and they are seen). For your next part - :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: YES!!! Juneau is often filled to the gills with cruise ships. Some have to tender in as there isn't enough dock space.

I know when I ride the BC Ferries system here I enjoy it when we pass other ferries. Does this happen a lot on Alaska cruises?

On our last trip in May coming out of Tracy Arm it was announced that a Princess ship was coming up on the right...of course we were on one as well :) That was the only time one was announced but us, the Westerdam and a NCL ship were pretty much together the entire 7 days...so you could from time to time see another ship in front or behind you.

As for ports no less than 3 ships in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria on our trip. I believe there were 5 in Juneau but the sideways rain kept getting in my eyes :eek:

Tayo and Kristy

Here's a chart you can check for what other ships will be in the various ports when you're in port: http://www.claalaska.com/pdf/2008/ALL_08.pdf Just scroll down to your dates, then locate the code for the port that you'll be in each day.

To figure out the port codes for that table, use this: http://www.claalaska.com/pdf/2008/PortCodes.pdf and to figure out the berth codes, use this: http://www.claalaska.com/pdf/2008/BerthCodes.pdf

When were in Glacier Bay and passed another HAL ship the on-board commentator mentioned it, but that's only "announcement" I've ever heard when passing another ship anywhere we've been.

Besides the links Barek gave above, a much simpler way (IMHO) to check on how many ships will be in each port is www.porttime.com

Choose View by Ship and select your departure date. It will even tell what the total number passengers will be from those ships.

... a much simpler way (IMHO) to check on how many ships will be in each port is www.porttime.com

Choose View by Ship and select your departure date. It will even tell what the total number passengers will be from those ships.

Note: Keep in mind with that tool that you may not see all of the ships listed in port with your ship, and that the actual passenger load on the port may be less than displayed. The reason being that some of the ships shown may arrive and depart before your ship arrives or after your ship departs.

The tool is simpler to use; but to verify which ships have port times overlapping with yours, then the earlier (and admittedly more time consuming) links are the only way I've found so far to view that information.

Kayden,

The only announcements we heard on our recent Alaskan cruise (aside from entertainment) were when we were passing pods of whales. You will see other cruise ships though as well as lot and lots of bc ferries (all up the coast of Canada). As well as that, you will see the Oosterdam and the Golden Princess in both Juneau and Ketchikan, as their itineraries are very similar to yours though they sail out of Seattle. (We were on the Oosterdam and kept a close eye on the Statendam as mother and father in law will be on her in September). Have fun. you have a beautiful ship to be cruising on!!!

Brucory :D :D :D

I just don't want to miss seeing other ships! :D

And those photos are great, I am looking forward to taking a few of my own since I go camera crazy on trips.

I am going to check out those links and plan accordingly to make sure I see as many other ships as possible - this is my 1st cruise so I am looking forward to seeing as much asI can.

Those are 2 ships I am definitely looking forward to seeing! :)

Kayden,

The only announcements we heard on our recent Alaskan cruise (aside from entertainment) were when we were passing pods of whales. You will see other cruise ships though as well as lot and lots of bc ferries (all up the coast of Canada). As well as that, you will see the Oosterdam and the Golden Princess in both Juneau and Ketchikan, as their itineraries are very similar to yours though they sail out of Seattle. (We were on the Oosterdam and kept a close eye on the Statendam as mother and father in law will be on her in September). Have fun. you have a beautiful ship to be cruising on!!!

Brucory :D :D :D

Most ships that I've been on have saluted with the ships whistle as the other HAL ship passes by. Years ago off Bella Bella on an Alaska cruise we were on the Noordam and going south as the Niew Amsterdam was going north. They made quite a big deal out of it and everyone was out on deck. Lucky I have it all on tape.

Last week in Glacier Bay we passed the Westerdam and there was no mention of it I just happened to notice...I think we were headed up Tarr inlet and they were comming out of Rendu Inlet...I could be wrong about the Inlet names but it was the Westerdam

Note: Keep in mind with that tool ... are the only way I've found so far to view that information.
I agree that is a shortcoming of porttime. Too bad cruisecal.com went for-pay, as they do list arrival/departure times. But there you had to do your own pax load calculation.

Archived