customs question..

tngal

O.K....I hope you guys dont think this is a retartded question, but i had mentioned to a friend , that while on vacation in the bahamas, I thought I would do some of my christmas shopping, as she told me i could get some good deals on jewelry and other items. I am wondering what is the "Rules" with customs, I've never traveled out of the USA before and was wondering. I read somewhere that there is a $600 allowance from the carribean countries before you have to pay, Is this so? Also, I was told to declare things such as laptop and digital camera BEFORE leaving out, anyone heard of this? any help would be appreciated!

http://www.go-abacos.com/travel/customs.html#Customs%20and%20Immigrations%20policy%20anchor

US citizens may take up to US$600 worth of merchandise without paying tax. The next $l,000 is taxed at 10%. Certain antiques, artwork and other merchandise categories have special tax exemption limits. Gifts valued up to $50 may be mailed home duty-free. One litre of wine, liqueur or liquor and five cartons of cigarettes may be taken duty-free.

So if there is 2 of your traveling you will be having 1200 worth of stuff tax free.

I just wanted to piggy back on this question if you don't mind.

I'm a Canadian living and working in the USA on a work visa, and I'm cruising with an american, and I'm not returning to Canada.

will I have to report to canadian customs? do the canadian or american rules apply to me? or should I just ask at the purser's desk once I get on board?

thank you

frommers from 2004 still states the same as the last post

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/bahamas/0205020032.html

For canadian residence- (even if you are not going back your paperwork states that you ARE a canadian resident

For a clear summary of Canadian rules, write for the booklet I Declare, issued by the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (tel. 800/461-9999 in Canada, or 204/983-3500; http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca). Canada allows its citizens a C$750 exemption, and you're allowed to bring back duty-free one carton of cigarettes, 1 can of tobacco, 40 imperial ounces of liquor, and 50 cigars. In addition, you're allowed to mail gifts to Canada valued at less than C$60 a day, provided they're unsolicited and don't contain alcohol or tobacco (write on the package "Unsolicited gift, under $60 value"). All valuables should be declared on the Y-38 form before departure from Canada, including serial numbers of valuables you already own, such as expensive foreign cameras. Note: The C$750 exemption can only be used once a year and only after an absence of 7 days.

SkittleFreak, As your legal residence is in the US, you must abide by the rules of the US government. You stated that you are not going back to Canada at this time so you will not even encounter Canadian Customs. Make certain to take all of the necessary paperwork with you so that you have no problems as you re-enter the US.

When you return to Canada, please check on what you may bring with you as the limits for each country change for each situation.

Have a wonderful trip. Happy shopping

Fran

We were told on the Zuiderdam eastern/weatern caribbean that we were allotted $800.00 each and for each week( we did a back to back), when we left we never had to show anyone either. I kept all my reciepts incase we needed them, no one ever asked, it was the honor system. Also we brought all our reciepts from home for our laptop, movie camera and digital camera and again no one ever questioned us about them, they (cameras) were all brand new purchased for this trip. But most importantly is the ship you are on will tell you what the rules are for your cruise, like we could purchase 5 cuban cigars each but we could not bring them back to the U.S. so unless we smoked them, we would be risking great fines fro smuggling them into the U.S. Keep in mind that just because you can purchase something doesnt mean you can bring it back to the U.S. Sorry I'm long winded on this matter but I spent a few dollars on Conch shells I could not bring back into the U.S. but had been assured by the shop selling them to me that I could! :)

Archived