Name on Passport Question

I read through the sticky on passports, so please forgive me for not finding my answer there.

We are traveling from NYC to Canada on a Carnival Cruise departing July 12. My booking was made under my married name Kathryn CXXX. My DL has my name as Gina Kathryn CXXX. My passport has my maiden name Gina Kathryn GXXX. If I take my DL, passport and marriage license should I be ok with this information? I don't know if I can get my passport changed before we leave. Also, should I have Carnival change the booking information to Gina CXXX?

Thanks so much for any assistance you can provide!

You could have Carnival change your booking to match your passport, but you'll still run into a tiny problem with your DL not matching your name on your sea pass when you check in at the port security stops. Not a huge problem, but could be tricky at some ports...you'll obviously look like the picture on the DL, but they could give you a hassle. Since passports are not a requirement for cruising yet, I would just leave the booking the same and use your DL and BC as your ID's at embarkation.

I just noticed that you are traveling to Canada. If you are flying in or out of Canada, then you will need your passport for travel, so make sure your flights are booked to match your passport. If any flights were booked through Carnival, then I would change your booking to match your passport.

While outside your home country, the passport is THE form of identification...period. All your travel docs should have the name that's on the passport.

Local authorities may honor your driver's license or birth certificate, but only out of courtesy, but when "stuff" happens, its no longer official id to them.

When you have time, amend all your id's to match, it'll be worth the effort if you plan on travel outside the US again.

Archived