Q's About Aft And/or Penthouse Cabins

pandi77

i Have Booked An Aft Ph Suite On The 9th Deck Of The Gem In May 09'. I'm Hearing Mixed Reviews On If These Rooms Have The Benefits Some Mention.

are The Balconies Really Bigger Than Other Rooms In The Same Class? And Are They Noisy?

lastly Has Any Cc Members Done The Western Med In An Aft Cabin, If So How Was The View Of The Ports?

We have had AE PH 9670 on the Pearl, AE PH 9732 on the Star, and AC PH 0065 on the Sun (all stern suites). LOVED them all and the only problem I can say we ever had was a few people from above trying to look down on our balcony. Never experienced loud noise, actually it's really quiet and peacefull. The view is just amazing from your balcony, which in all three suites the sizes varied, but are bigger than your reg. balcony cabins. You might get a little soot once in awhile, but just have your room steward wipe the furniture down and put towels over before you sit down.

Of course just having the suite perks of Butler and concierge are enough to make us book them whenever possible. I haven't seen much for mixed reviews on this cat. as they always seem to go fast. We just picked up the last one for our Oct. 28th repo cruise out of NY to Miami. and that's still 5 mos away.

I can't imagine you not enjoying the PH---only problem you won't want to go back to a reg. cabin!!!:D :D

Retiredonthesea

I'm soo glad to read your take on this because we booked the same suite on the Gem (9670), her sister ship!

Do you have any photos of your cabin? I know the decor will vary but I assume the cabin layout and balcony design would be identical. How much could you see to the sides of the ship, I can't tell by the photos i've found so far-

Also the layout on the website for ph suites doesn't look like a cat AE (bathroom with a window must be AB) NOT THAT WE NEED THAT! but how is the bathroon layout?

Thanks so much for your info!

Andi

I'am sorry I don't have any pix, but if you do a search I know there are pictures. We stopped taking pix of our suites awhile back. The AB suites have an awesome bathroom with the window right over the tub and huge shower with double shower heads. (stayed in 11510 on our Jan. cruise this year). AE 9670 has a tub with seperate sink area and toilet stall. Plenty of closet space and drawers. Nice vanity area too. The balcony makes for a pretty good view across the stern of the ship. I'am sorry this isn't explaining it very well, but I have seen good pix on here before can't remember who posted them tho. Hope someone comes up with some for you.

Happy cruising,

Retiredonthesea

i Have Booked An Aft Ph Suite On The 9th Deck Of The Gem In May 09'. I'm Hearing Mixed Reviews On If These Rooms Have The Benefits Some Mention.

are The Balconies Really Bigger Than Other Rooms In The Same Class? And Are They Noisy?

lastly Has Any Cc Members Done The Western Med In An Aft Cabin, If So How Was The View Of The Ports?

We were in AE Penthouse on the Jade May 17-30. Balconies are no bigger than other rooms in same class mainly because all AE Penthouses are located aft. They are not noisy except for sound of wake which most people who book these cabins love. View in ports was unbelievable, if you like to look at shipping containers. This was the biggest letdown of the whole cruise. The only nice view I remember was in Nice, where we tendered, so we had a beautiful view of the city from the ship but not from our balcony.

Here are our pictures of 8132 from the Gem's inaugural Dover to Barcelona cruise last October:

http://community.webshots.com/album/561382394Vrrhhh

The bathroom is the same as the bathrooms in the minisuites with the addition of the vanity/closet/drawers/dressing area right outside the bathroom. There was plenty of room for the two of us, and we were very comfortable. The ports are in industrial areas but we were gone pretty much all day so it didn't matter, plus I actually like watching all the activity in the ports. We spent a lot of time on the balcony during sea days and we really enjoyed it.

[quote=retiredonthesea;14961819 LOVED them all and the only problem I can say we ever had was a few people from above trying to look down on our balcony.

Retiredonthesea

When you say above, do you mean every deck? Is the stern angled out? Where from the top you can see all balconies below?

When you say above, do you mean every deck? Is the stern angled out? Where from the top you can see all balconies below?

The Stern is angled out alot on the Sun and that's the one I was pertaining to more so than the Pearl or Star. If people are looking over the railing from The Great Outdoor Cafe, they can see a portion of your balcony on the Pearl. On the Sun we where on deck 10, right below the GOC and people who sat at tables at the very stern could look down on a portion of that balcony also. Sometimes inconsiderate people would toss a cig. over and it would land up on our balcony. One morn it was an orange peel.:rolleyes: Nothing major and would'nt keep me from booking this cabin again, which was an AC 0065. (Two AE's on this deck between the AC's) Really liked this PH.

All in all the AE balconies have enough privacy---just be careful of what you do when your up aganist the railing!:o You might not know who's leaning over the deck above you.:)

We also have cabin 9670, but on the NCL Jewel, July 28th - can't wait. This will be our first experience in a suite.

How exciting for you!!:D One problem:( your going to get hooked and you'll want a PH suite every time you cruise! Especially at the stern.

Have a great time and don't be afraid to ask your Butler/ Concierge for anything. It's amazing the service they give you.

We also have cabin 9670, but on the NCL Jewel, July 28th - can't wait. This will be our first experience in a suite.

We cruised 9670 on the Gem...nice suite and the butler was wonderful. Leave you balcony door open all night...heaven:)

No turning back after you've been in a suite;)

The Jewel is a beautiful ship...enjoy your cruise.

on the Gem are great. We had great views of all the ports from our balcony on the 10th deck - at least whilst entering and leaving. Once moored you do sometimes end up with a great view of containers.

img_1316.jpg

img_1595.jpg

image1.jpg

Archived