My Virtual Cruise Of The Conquest

Luanne21

This is great! I am going on the Conquest for the first time in August. I can't wait! I've only been on Celebrity M-class ships and the Century. I would love to hear about the different restaurants on the conquest if you get a chance. Thanks!

So, we are finally at the dock in Grand Cayman. Our tour guide once told us that there are no poor people in GC. I don't know if that's true, but you sure don't see them, if they are there.

The main attractions for GC are the sting rays, beaches, turtle farm, and hell.[/u]

Before we go on our excursion, left me give you an overview of the rest.[/u]

Hell is..... well a tourist trap. It would be if you bought a house with lots of rocks in the back yard. You couldn't do anything else with it, so you named it, and then invited others to come and see what you couldn't do anything else with. :) To make money you would put very expensive tee shirts and other stuff, in your garage, that you would sale for the privilege of looking at the rocks. You also get the local gov. involved by giving you a small post office, so people could mail post cards from your rocks, which by the way, never seem to arrive to where they are suppose to go.

If you have a tour that goes to Hell on your way to another place, then go, but don't plan an excursion to hell. You will be disappointed.[/u]

The Turtle Farm is a place with several tanks packed full of turtles of all sizes. Now to be fair, I have not been back since they built up the area, and supposedly made it much better for tourists, but here too I was not impressed. Our tour guide use to work for the farm, and told us that turtle meat is a delicacy. She called it the caviar of the islands. So I was a bit put off about the tour that bragged about the amount of turtles re-entered into the ocean to save the species, when they were also killing them to please rich people. When they encourage you to pick one up and kiss it, you don't picture it being on a cracker with cheese.:mad: [/u]

Again, if this is part of your tour then go and have fun, but I would not plan my day around it.[/u]

Okay... the good place I have saved for last... so stay tuned.....

Okay, This is my favorite part. I have been to see the sting rays twice. Once on the Carnival tour, that included the turtle farm, and hell. (This by the way is a great trip for those of you on your first cruise)

This time we are only doing the sting rays, and boy are you in for a great time, so lets get a taxi, because we need to get to the Grand Caymanian Resort.

Okay, are you all still with me? You noticed on the way that the neighborhoods look very nice, and as far as I have ever seen, very safe. I was told that law enforcement is taken very seriously here. I guess you have to with all the money on the island. I once heard an interview from one of the many rich hollywood types who said they hated to go to GC because it was so hard to get their drug stash in. (Poor baby):)

Anyway here we are. I don't have time to show you around the resort, because I am so excited to show you what we are doing for the day, but yes you can take advantage of any of the resort later today, except the motel rooms, but lets get going.

Okay we have walked through the resort, which took us just a few minutes, but now are at the beach. You see the pool, and a few lounge chairs, but it's early, so not much going on here, yet.

As we stand there you see the cutest guy in the world come out of one of the buildings, smiling. He will be our tour guide today. (He looks so much like The Rock, that I thought it was him)

He tells us to fill out the paperwork in order to start our excursion, and then we have to wait for a bit.

He wades out into the water to a shed thing, and suddenly we see our transportation for the day.

The first thing you notice is the wave runner itself, and then you realize how powerful they look, and then you start backing up, because your thinking to yourself, "I'm not getting on that thing" Oh yes you are and you will. If I over 50, over weight, and thinks sitting around drinking Foo Foo drinks is cruising, then so can you.:)

The first thing you have to do is take the key, which is a key, but not one. At least it doesn't look like one. It has a thing that fits around your wrist, and is that plastic curly stuff you see on a lot of key chains, but at the end is a round thing that you put in the hole of the wave runner. The thing is if you should fall off, the thing around your wrist would pull the round thing out, and the wave runner would stop.

Now I am probably like you, I had never been on one of these things. I didn't know how to start it, stop it, and make it go, but not to worry. It is so easy to operate.

Okay, you are on it, and your so scared, you think you have to pee, but you are also so excited to do something new. Suddenly you realize that maybe that slow boat ride to the sting rays was better, until you put some power to that baby your on. After that you realize that you should not have waited all these years to do this thing, and have this much fun.

Directions are easy. You go out to sea!! Scared again? Not to worry. You forget all about the fact you are in such deep water, and God only knows whats below you.:) (You do have a life vest on, and the guide had never had anyone fall off.)

Getting to the sting rays felt like it took forever, but once the fright was over with, you couldn't wait to get under way again.

Once we got within the sight of the rays (You can tell your there, because of the boats in a circle) We all tied up together, and got down in the water with these beautiful creatures.

Now let me tell you how the feeding of the rays began. For years the local fisherman would stop at the sand bar to dump all the remaining bait left over from the days fishing trip. They soon noticed that the rays and other fish would gather and eat what they dropped off. Not long after that, they started inter acting with the rays, and that begin the excursion of a life time. It is thought that the rays are somehow pinned up for the tourists, but that is not true as you will see when you get there. You are still out to sea, surrounded by very deep water, but because of mother nature, you have a sand island in the middle of all this deep water. It isn't all that wide, but the sand allows you to stand in the water, without it being over your head. It comes up to my chest and I am 5 7 so that should give you an idea of where it would come up to you. You are also wearing life vests, so if a wave comes by, you are still above water, so even if you are not a swimmer, going to the rays is still something safe for you.

I am planning to go back and answer all of your questions, and address your comments, but want to wait until we are back on board the Conquest.

Please if you are reading this, thank you, but please post a comment, or question. It keeps the thread close to the front, and allows others to see it.

If you will check the e-mail reply thing, it will also let you know when something else has been posted.

I have also increased the size of the print, so that those who have a harder time reading, will be able to see it better.

Thanks,

Luanne

More! More! Please. I am dying to hear more.....:D

BTW..... Thanks. This is the best non-vacation I have ever Taken. Could you please go on the Holiday out of Mobile, and let me know how much fun I am going to have. LOL:rolleyes:

This has got to be the best thread ever!!!! I still have 86 days left until our first cruise and my palms are actually sweating from anticipation at reading this. You go girl. I can't believe how much fun I am having reading this. Thank you so much for actually making this cruise come to life. If I close my eyes I can smell the sea and also the food on the Lido deck. I will be reading and re-reading this thread for the next 86 days. Too Cool!!!! Too Cool!!!! :D :D :D

Oh no. I have run out of virtual cruise. Please, please, please send us more. I have never been so excited to read a thread. This is awesome. I actually feel like I am on the cruise with you. Don't keep us hanging.... let's kiss some stingrays and enjoy the rest of the day in the Grand Caymans. I can't wait for Cozumel and then our last sea day. Oh hurry, hurry, hurry.... I am giddy with anticipation. :D :D :D

Oh "The Rock" brought plenty of yuky stuff to feed the rays. Many a mistake has been made by guests who after feeding the rays wipe their hands on their bathing suits. The rays naturally go after the smell, so what ever you wiped on they will suck on.:eek: So gentleman, this is not the time to to reorganize your stuff in your bathing suit, or then again, to each is own.:)

Spending time with these beautiful creatures is never enough. I could stay all day if they would let you, but you always have others waiting to have their turn, so it is soon time to go. Oh before we leave let me tell you that yes it is customary to hold one, tickle one, and for some, to kiss one. I personally don't put anything that close to my mouth that smells like that, without tarter sauce.:)

Okay, it's time to go, but wait, we have a problem. Why does that wave runner seem so much higher than it did back at the beginning? Oh yea we got on from the beach, now we have to climb on and it was not pretty. At one point I was ready to just give it up, and walk back, but was reminded that it's a good 6 or 7 miles and the water is deep, so here I go trying to get on.

Finally I am back on and you know, I feel more at ease with this thing. It feels comfortable, and I am ready to let it rip. Not so fast though. We have another stop to make. To a little island thing with a concession stand, and cool places to enjoy the beach.

We don't stay long, and are soon on our way. Now I have to admit that for the entire trip I have been bringing up the rear, but I take off like a shot. I am ready to be "Born to be Wild" until after about 10 minutes, I realize I have not a clue as to where to go, so I have to slow down.

"The Rock" soon takes the lead, and we are on our way again. Now in my mind I am pricing these babies, and wondering how I can get one of these. They are just to much fun, and still have your clothes on.

Once back to the resort, it is time to say good by, and to thank our Rock for the day. He has truly been great, and wonderful to look at.

You are free to shower and change at the resort, and they will call a taxi for you to go back to the port. You are able to use the pool, and other amenities, but we were ready to get back and change. (Forgot to bring a change of clothes)

Now once back at the port, you soon realize why the Cayman's don't care to much for the cruise people. It is packed with people. I mean so many that walking on the side walk is a problem, because there's just not enough room. The restaurants are packed, and the stores are over flowing. It is good for business, but can be a problem for those who were "born to be wild" and are now starving.

We decide to do a little shopping, and then go back to the ship. Of course if you want to, there are the usual port drinking. eating places, but as I said before, they are expensive. You can see the ship, the tenders, and the line of people to get on the tenders from most of the shops and eateries, so feel free to take all the time to do what you want, but do watch your watch, or someone else's, because once that last tender leaves, you are pretty much out of luck.

Oh man, I am addicted. You have got to give me my fix. You can't just leave me hanging here for the rest of the weekend without another entry or two or three or ten entries. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, don't make me beg!!!! too late:( Please sir, may I have some more?

I love the Conquest. I have to admit that other than the Ecstasy, and the Elation, the Conquest is the only ships I've been on. I love it so much that we have traveled 3 times on her.

I am not gifted with the eye for detail, both good and bad. I can't tell you details about the art work, and I sure can't tell you where there might be a little paint that needs to be touched up, or maybe a little stain on the carpet. I can only tell you that it has been the most fun our little family has ever had.

Someone asked about the dinning choices. You have the two dinning rooms, which I guess would be called the formal dinning rooms. You also have the places to eat on the Lido, or just off the Lido. The buffet is set up for breakfast each morning, lunch time, and then in the evening. The grill for the hot dogs and hamburgers are fired up for lunch, and late night. The pizza station is 24/7 There is also a place that has sandwiches, and another for chinese. Sushi is served at certain times, check your capers for the times and location. There is also a dinning room that is special. It costs $30.00 per person, and is out of this world. Be sure to go hungry, and leave any members of your party, who are not prepared to have a 2 hour dinner. What is not commonly known is the fish and chips place above the regular buffet area. It is also not to be missed.

As you can tell, you have no reason to be hungry on the Conquest. You can even be lazy and get plenty to eat, just by calling room service 24/7 to order.

Are you hungry after all that talk of food?:)

Hi Luanne21,

Thanks for the AWESOME review... Feels like I am right there

with you.. I will be on her in 2 weeks :)

In caymans was your waverunner/stingray tour through

Island Martketing?? I am booked on that tour through Island

Marketing!!

MORE MORE....

Hey girl! Long time no see. So, glad to see you are doing this virtual tour for everyone again....I will never forget how I hung onto every word before my first cruise last summer. I swear you should be a writer. So, how was your husband's birthday cruise or was it your anniversary one you took last year. I just remember that you were surprising him with a suite. :) Well, I booked the kids and I a Cat 11 and we leave on the 29th. Can't wait to go back! We really need to do a cruise together sometime soon! Thanks again for everything. I will always remember how you made my first cruise something to really look forward too and I was not disappointed at all....it was everything you said and more~~ TTYL! Lisa

Hey Lisa,

Good to hear from you. I did the suite and it was wonderful, but made it harder to leave that last morning, and makes it harder now booking, because the other rooms just don't seem like enough.

We are booked on a B2B on the Valor for the Christmas/New years cruises.

Jim will be going back to Iraq the first of the year, so we wanted something special. I guess that means another Virtual cruise. :)

I hope you have a great time. Let me hear from you.

Luanne

Since we are on the subject of rooms, or better known as cabins, let's talk about picking the right one.

My first ever cruise was this week, three years ago. I had not a clue as to what was best, or where was best, and it has taken me this long to figure it out.

The most common, and cheapest way to pick a cabin, is to do what is called a guarantee. You pay not for the room, but for the location of the ship, and they (Carnival) pick your cabin.

This is what we did for the first couple of cruises. We were never dissatisfied with our rooms, but then again, we didn't have much to compare to.

Then came the winter of 2006. I had planned a B2B with two ships out of Galveston. We did the Conquest for Christmas and had a balcony. We got off the ship, spent the night in Galveston, and boarded the Elation the next morning. Well, this room was in the engine room. It had to be, because if that ship had been a mustang with 5 on the floor, we would have felt every change in gear.:( It was so bad that the room steward brought us a plastic bucket to throw up in. When the ship stopped in port, and we were finally not shaking, we noticed how badly our teeth hurt from the shaking. That is pretty bad.

You want to know if I complained don't you? No I didn't. It was a regulation room, it had all the stuff that a normal room had, and it was my decision to go with a guarantee, so who's fault was it?

Sure, the room should be turned into a storage room. True, for someone who is so drunk all week, they might not even notice the shaking. True, if you are hooked on those beds in motels where you put quarters in to make the bed vibrate, you would be in hog heaven with this room.:)

My husband and I actually laughed most of the time, once we got use to it. The pictures would start out shaking, to the point of dancing on the walls. The glasses in the bathroom would make funny little noises, and then the bed would shake. For 5 days this was the way we cruised. When the cruise was over, it took us several hours to talk to each other in a normal tone of voice, because for 5 days we had to yell. The rest of cruise was great, and the ship is one of the prettiest we have seen.

You simply have to make what you can of a cruise, and that doesn't mean spending all your time complaining. It's just not worth it.

That was our last guarantee room. I now know how to pick our rooms. I know which floor I want, and each cruise I have gotten better at it.

It helps that all Conquest size ships have the same floor plan, so the rooms that worked for us on the Conquest, will also be in the same location on the Valor.

In fact I was so precise on picking the Valor, that I had certain things to keep in mind, and that helped me pick.

For example. I love to wash clothes on the ship. I find it very relaxing to have some down time, and to have the satisfaction of knowing we have packed less and now have clean clothes to work with. So our rooms on the Valor, are steps away from our rooms.

A good cruise is all about learning as much as you can, in order for things to be as perfect as possible.

We are all different, and trying to do what others have done, might not be the best for you. It's all about finding your comfort zone.

Archived