I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Wow!

I am overwhelmed with everything I am learning.

We will be in CPH Aug 12 and sailing on the Eurodam on Aug 14th

We are at the Marriott which does not seem that out of the way on the map I have, and there is a HOHO stop in from of the Marriott

Not sure which HOHO stop would be in front of the Marriott, but I have not ridden all 3 lines... maybe there is one out there.

The Marriott is just not in the "center of town" - - and most had expressed that they wanted to be walking distance to most attractions, etc.

That is the reference for the Marriott being "out". The ENTIRE city is only about 5 miles around - so technically, everything is quite close. There are just different degrees of "close".

I have purchased a HOHO ticket already on line ofr $33 USD p/p, I did not see a choice of routes, so I assume it was for all 3 routes?? so maybe not huh??

I have no idea. Depends on where you bought it. It should say what routes it's valid for on your receipt/ticket.

I am considering buying a CPH card at airport, but will the train/bus take us near the Marriott ?? How will I know which train/bus to get on.?

I would assume that the Mariott would have an airport shuttle. If not, they can certainly give you detailed directions on how to reach them via public transportation.

If I buy it a 2pm on the 12th will it be good until 2pm on the 13th? Does the 24 hrs start running at the first useage

Depends on where you buy it. SOME places do the "Correct thing" and put the time and date on it when you buy it. Some leave it blank and you can fill it in prior to first useage.

I am a little concerned about not being able to use our credit cards in europe.

They told us the same thing in England last year, but merchants took them, they had to confirm it differently though. With Mastercard and Visa promoting themselves as accepted worldwide , this is not pleasant news.

SOME stores WILL take an American credit card. Ones where you see "Tax Free Shopping" do and some other more "international" chains will too. BUT NOT ALL OF THEM DO. Especially not grocery stores, small mom and pops, cafe's, etc.

Always ASK if they will take an American Credit card - and if not, be prepared with a "plan B".

You may also want to make sure that your credit card has a PIN number prior to coming in to CPH.

SOME stores that can't "use a signature" for your card, CAN use it if there is a PIN number.

A good note is to check with your CC to see if there IS a pin (even if you don't think that there is). As the CC machines that they use here will prompt you for a PIN IF there is one -- and if you don't know it, then you can't use your card. They can't (or won't) over ride the system to let you "sign for it".

I think we will be visitng the local grocery stores for breakfast items and maybe make some sandwiches for our lunches.

Most grocery stores don't open until 10am. SOME open as early as 9am. Plan on using cash at grocery stores. I've not seen one that takes American credit cards yet.

VOucher states it is good for 2 days and lists all 3 routes on it and states it is for all lines, for $33 I think that is a good buy.

Also states that the starting point is city hall and first trip starts at 10.15.

I will contact the Marriott and see if they have a shuttle. The rack rate for the room for our nights is like $300, although we got a PL deal at 120 :).

I would think at 300 a night they operate a shuttle, but I am not taking anything for granted here-LOL

Just called the marriott CPH. Talked to a very sweet lady. No shuttle

Train is 28DKK from airport to Central Bus Station or 200DKK for Taxi. She told me the Freeport pier would cost 100DKK by taxi. Says the restaurant in Hotel opens at 6.30am for Breakfast and they have free coffee in Lobby all day.

Does anyone know where I can find a clear detailed map of CPH on line

Thanks

Just called the marriott CPH. Talked to a very sweet lady. No shuttle

Train is 28DKK from airport to Central Bus Station or 200DKK for Taxi. She told me the Freeport pier would cost 100DKK by taxi.

You can go to http://www.dsb.dk and plug in the journey you want to take (via train or bus) and it will give you detailed time, route, and cost of your trip.

Says the restaurant in Hotel opens at 6.30am for Breakfast and they have free coffee in Lobby all day.

Does anyone know where I can find a clear detailed map of CPH on line

Thanks

This is a good online map.

http://www.euroave.com/maps/00mapx.php?xcity=copenhagen

I would also check your local library, AAA office (if you're a member), and talk with your TA about obtaining a map/brochures/etc. of the city.

Sorry if you've covered this but with our first ever cruise coming up theres so much to read and take in!! Do we need any Danish Krone for our one day stop in Copenhagen?? Or are euros accepted?We will be going our own way so need bus faes, snacks, postcards, small souveniers (can use cards for large items) and entrance fees. We have taken note of your pickpocket advice great tip thank you. Thanks for your help.:eek:

Sorry if you've covered this but with our first ever cruise coming up theres so much to read and take in!! Do we need any Danish Krone for our one day stop in Copenhagen?? Or are euros accepted?We will be going our own way so need bus faes, snacks, postcards, small souveniers (can use cards for large items) and entrance fees. We have taken note of your pickpocket advice great tip thank you. Thanks for your help.:eek:

I am going to title this

DANISH MONEY DANISH KRONE DKK and Money in Copenhagen Money in Denmark in the hopes that it can be easily found if searched :o

Notes on money, in no particular order:

1) DO NOT assume that you can use your credit card anywhere/everywhere. While some large and/or international chain stores often will take them, it is the majority that don't. This is entirely due to the Danish "chip" in their credit cards.

2) You can not use Euros EXCEPT in places like some stores along Langelinie pier and down on the German border.

3) Call your CC and attempt to have a PIN registered on it. It will make your foreign CC accepted at more (but still not ALL) locations.

4) Change money at the Western Union near the Langeliene pier or at the Forex at the main train station. Or use your ATM card.

5) SOME stores will charge an additional "service fee" for processing foreign credit cards (from 3 - 10% of the transaction). Ask before you swipe - as any signs/notices may only be posted in Danish.

6) Some of the major TOURISTY things (HOHO, canal tours, and some museums and castles) will take a foreign credit card for admission (remember to ask about extra processing fees).

7) With the sliding dollar, right now one USD = just under 5DKK. For ease of math, divide all Danish prices by 5 to figure out USD cost.

8) Sales tax (on services, goods, food, etc.) is 25%. SOMETIMES the price shown will INCLUDE sales tax, sometimes not. If it says

Price INCL MOMS then it includes tax

if not - then it does not. Ask a sales associate if the price includes MOMS (pronounced MUMS) or not if you are unsure.

9) A gratuity is included in your restaurant bill. You do not have to leave any extra tip. Tipping for exceptional service is appreciated (anywhere from 20 -50DKK is customary)

10) The money in Denmark is pretty. (lol, couldn't think of another "real" one... but hated leaving the list at 9). :D

As an American who is formerly in the hospitality industry - it pains me to see (and hear!) (mostly) Americans being SO DARNED impatient in Denmark (or most of Europe for that matter) for a server to come, for a meal to be served, or for receiving their bill.

First let me explain -

This is Not America.

Things are done differently here. Not better or worse - just different.

With that said, here are some differences that my friends notice (and tend to complain about). If these things are going to bother you - eat on the ship and save yourself the headache (or plan on sampling the "street fair" - which is actually really decent!).

If you are one of the great travelers that know and understand the fact that you are VISITING a FOREIGN country and therefore things may NOT be like they are "at home" - - then come and ENJOY yourself and the local colors/flavors/etc.

Eating in a restaurant is an EXPERIENCE. Plan on waiting 10+ mins before anyone comes over to take a drink order. You can order everything all at once, but if you have apps, etc. then indicate precisely how you want things delivered. It may be better to order drinks and apps, then the main meal once you've received your drinks.

The meals are usually cooked from scratch - so plan on waiting 20+ mins before your meal arrives. If you are starving, ask for suggestions on what will arrive the fastest. (or go get a hotdog, chocolate milk & ice cream cone. :D)

An entree (per person) for around 100dkk is a great price! Under 200dkk and you've got a reasonable meal. Over that is what I, personally, consider a splurge meal. (but my pocketbook and yours may be totally different).

*** For those of you going to my fave restaurant CAFE NORDEN *** here is the scoop. Get a seat (seat yourself - go UPSTAIRS and hunt down a window seat!). Look over the menu. If you can't read it - go to the bar and ask for help. To order - go to the bar and place your order and pay right then. They will give you a little metal # to put on your table. Relax and enjoy the view. I've never had my meal come prior to 10 - 15 mins. So expect that. If you get it sooner - bonus for you!

If you want anything - go to the bar and ask for it - as a server will literally only SERVE your food - - not come back to check on you. When you are done, leave.

Will think of more later... gotta run for now

I am reading the Royal Caribbean tours for the castles/palaces and it states that you cannot take in a purse, camera or just about anything with you into these sites. But I don't see that shown on the actual websites for Rosenborg or Amalienborg. Do you know if it's true that you can't take in your purse or camera? If not, is there a place that they will store it for you?

We will only be there a day and (although expensive) I plan to have lunch in Tivoli. I know you mentioned a couple of restaurants there. I plan to bring local currency but I was wondering if they will take credit cards at the restaurants in Tivoli or should I plan to bring cash for lunch.

Also, I heard that the Round Tower is closed for renovations. Is this true?

I am reading the Royal Caribbean tours for the castles/palaces and it states that you cannot take in a purse, camera or just about anything with you into these sites. But I don't see that shown on the actual websites for Rosenborg or Amalienborg. Do you know if it's true that you can't take in your purse or camera? If not, is there a place that they will store it for you?

I just found this info: Entrance is DKK65, you have to put your bag in a locker with a DKK20 deposit - probably so you don't walk out with the crown jewels!!

You can obtain a photograpic permit for DKK20, No mobile phones can be switched on

Hope this helps!

Debbie

I just found this info: Entrance is DKK65, you have to put your bag in a locker with a DKK20 deposit - probably so you don't walk out with the crown jewels!!

You can obtain a photograpic permit for DKK20, No mobile phones can be switched on

Hope this helps!

Debbie

Thanks a bunch. I never saw the part about the locker. The people on CC are great!

Hello Jen,

I'm amazed at the amount of information you have provided. We will be arriving in CPH on 7/16 and have some plans I would love to run by you. We will be there from 9 am until 11 pm. As you said, we will take our 2 minute picture of the Little Mermaid and then we planned on walking to the Gefion fountain, then on to Amalienborg and Rosenborg. We thought we could walk to the Round Tower and then on to Nyhavn for a drink and then hop on a canal tour. After that we planned on walking the Stroget to the Ice Bar and then end at Tivoli. If we had time, we thought we would take the bus to the Carlsberg Brewery before seeing Tivoli. The only bus we planned on using was to get us back to our ship. Do you think this itinerary is do-able?

Thanks for being our resident CPH guru!

We will only be there a day and (although expensive) I plan to have lunch in Tivoli. I know you mentioned a couple of restaurants there. I plan to bring local currency but I was wondering if they will take credit cards at the restaurants in Tivoli or should I plan to bring cash for lunch.

Also, I heard that the Round Tower is closed for renovations. Is this true?

I haven't tried, but I best that most of the bigger restaurants in Tivoli will take foreign credit cards. i can do some calling and find out.

we just ate at the German "brewhouse" - which sits on the lake directly opposite the Pirate ship. It's a cute red buliding with a water wheel outside, terrace dining, and it's own brewery. Very good.

Also - it's not the ROUND TOWER that is closed -- it's what they call "The Spiral Church" - - where you can (or will be able to again in 2010) walk up the spire of the church.

The ROUND TOWER is in the middle of Stroget closer to the Norreport S-tog stop. Directly across from the Post & Tele museum (which has that gorgeous cafe on the rooftop) and not too far from my Cafe Norden. :D

Hope that helps!

you can bring in a purse/camera/etc. BEWARE though, that most have SIZE RESTRICTIONS on your handbags, so maybe the "tours" state that NONE are allowed to be brought in due to some possibly having to lock theirs up.

There will be coin lockers where you can leave your belongings if they don't meet the size restrictions.

You can NOT take pictures of certain areas though - signs will be posted.

Hello Jen,

I'm amazed at the amount of information you have provided. We will be arriving in CPH on 7/16 and have some plans I would love to run by you. We will be there from 9 am until 11 pm. As you said, we will take our 2 minute picture of the Little Mermaid and then we planned on walking to the Gefion fountain, then on to Amalienborg and Rosenborg. We thought we could walk to the Round Tower and then on to Nyhavn for a drink and then hop on a canal tour. After that we planned on walking the Stroget to the Ice Bar and then end at Tivoli. If we had time, we thought we would take the bus to the Carlsberg Brewery before seeing Tivoli. The only bus we planned on using was to get us back to our ship. Do you think this itinerary is do-able?

Thanks for being our resident CPH guru!

The only advice is to contact the Ice bar ahead of time to get a reservation.

Other than that - your trip sounds like it's planned out in a good route.

The Carlsberg brewery is on the "outskirts" - so do plan on at least 2 - 3 hours to fully get there, tour, drink a beer, and get back. You may do it quicker, but that would be my time frame.

Thanks for answering. I am glad it isn't the Round Tower that is closed. The Brewhouse at Tivoli will be something my husband will like! What kind of food to they serve? I was looking to get one of your open faced sandwiches. If I can get that and he can get a beer, we will both be happy! If you can find out if they take credit cards, I would appreciate it. If not, can you give me an idea as to how much lunch will cost so we can get enough DKK out! Thanks.

Thanks for answering. I am glad it isn't the Round Tower that is closed. The Brewhouse at Tivoli will be something my husband will like! What kind of food to they serve? I was looking to get one of your open faced sandwiches. If I can get that and he can get a beer, we will both be happy! If you can find out if they take credit cards, I would appreciate it. If not, can you give me an idea as to how much lunch will cost so we can get enough DKK out! Thanks.

I think the reason we got served QUICKLY was because there wasn't MUCH on the menu - but we had 3 main dishes and the 2 kids dishes and they were all quite good.

I had the Plice (fish), DH had the German weinershnitzel, and our friend had the lamb. I think the lamb was the best.

No smorrebrod here though - but one of the kids meals was "danish meatballs" or frikadeller - - which were quite good. :D

Here is the link to the Restaurants in Tivoli (in english). Most have a phone or a website so you can call directly to see if the one you are interested in requires reservations and if they accept foreign credit cards:

http://www.tivoli.dk/composite-4671.htm

we just ate at the German "brewhouse" - which sits on the lake directly opposite the Pirate ship. It's a cute red buliding with a water wheel outside, terrace dining, and it's own brewery. Very good.

!

I presume this must be the German restaurant I mentioned in which we had dinner 12 years ago. Told you it was good! :D

Pia

P.S. Do you have to pay the $18 admission each time you enter Tivoli, or do you have some sort of annual pass?

I presume this must be the German restaurant I mentioned in which we had dinner 12 years ago. Told you it was good! :D

Pia

P.S. Do you have to pay the $18 admission each time you enter Tivoli, or do you have some sort of annual pass?

Tooooo funny:D Yes, it was good - - though there are other "more German" places in Tivoli, this is a good one.

I have a "gold pass" so I can take myself and 5 others with me in to Tivoli - no paying the admission fee each time AND I get a pretty nice discount on the ride bands too.

We love it.

But we like Bakken better for the rides for the kids. Plus, Bakken is in our back yard... so that works out nicely too.

Could you please tell me how to get to the Architecture Centre? I am supposed to meet our guide for a bike tour there at 10am. We will be docked (it says) at Langeline. We dock at 7am... I bet we don't get off until 8.... Would we have time to walk there? Or would it be best for us to take a taxi?

Thanks so much!

Tooooo funny:D Yes, it was good - - though there are other "more German" places in Tivoli, this is a good one.

I have a "gold pass" so I can take myself and 5 others with me in to Tivoli - no paying the admission fee each time AND I get a pretty nice discount on the ride bands too.

So now that we're BFF, what are you doing September 5th or 6th? :D

Pia

Thanks for all the great information in helping us all plan our trips.

With the issue with the credit cards do you know if the restaurants will accept the American cards?

We sure do not want to travel with loads of cash.

Moya

Thanks for all the great information in helping us all plan our trips.

With the issue with the credit cards do you know if the restaurants will accept the American cards?

We sure do not want to travel with loads of cash.

Moya

Moya - -

DEPENDS on which restaurants.

The ones that are in Tivoli probably do - - and probably some bigger ones in downtown CPH.

NOT ALL WILL and it's a crap shoot to figure out which ones do and which ones don't.

Heck, I am still surprised when I ask in some stores if they can take an "american card" and ones that I thought won't - DO. And vice versa.

If you know there is one or two that you REALLY want to dine in - I'd call in advance to find out if they can take a card that is not Danish.

be sure to tell them that there is

- NO CHIP

and

NO PIN (if you don't have a pin --- see previous post for more on that)

Could you please tell me how to get to the Architecture Centre? I am supposed to meet our guide for a bike tour there at 10am. We will be docked (it says) at Langeline. We dock at 7am... I bet we don't get off until 8.... Would we have time to walk there? Or would it be best for us to take a taxi?

Thanks so much!

Depends on which one you mean. I am going to assume it's the one down in the center harbor. There is a Danish Archetecture MUSEUM downtown...

Here is the website for the DAC - -

http://www.dac.dk/visEmneside.asp?artikelID=1571

which is PROBABLY where he means to meet you. I'd contact him for a street address and then use http://www.krak.dk or http://www.dsb.dk to plan your route to get there.

Your "starting point" (for those websites above) is simply Langelinie

Archived