Be Careful Eating The Tomatoes!!!!!!!!!!

Evilmille

As a restaurant owner....I am not willing to put my customers health at risk much less be in the middle of a food poisoning lawsuit ! Put yourself in the shoes of a restaurant owner and you will perhaps share our concern of food safety (at least mine).

To the OP.... I am sorry that a food illness such as this occured to you ruined your cruise..... hope that you recover quickly.

Travel Angel,

Thank you for thinking of us, your customers. I'm glad you are willing to take the precautions. Since I handle our company's insurance, you are more than right to be worried about a lawsuit! I know people are always willing to compare apples to oranges, cars to tomatoes. But, better to be safe than sorry. So again, thank you.

That's what I suspect as well. Mexico uses tainted, feces water to irrigate. That was reported years ago on 60 Minutes.

While that may be true, these tainted tomatoes are from the US.

Actually, to be honest...I don't think I've ever seen tomatoes in the store that WEREN'T from the US.

And if you watch enough of those 60 Minutes type shows (I do, I love them ;) ) then maybe you saw the show on the FDA???? (I think it was on Frontline...not 100% sure)

They're pretty useless at keeping us safe. Just because something is grown here, or a drug has FDA approval, doesn't mean we are truly safe consuming it. :(

:( Just got off the Dawn this Sunday. On Tuesday night, I got violently ill with heachache and intestional issues. Slept all day Wednesday and felt a bit better for the rest of the trip although anything I ate became an issue. As of today, I still cannot eat and went to the Dr.

I have salmonella (Thank God I am healthy and it will just run its course). I ate a wonderful tomato salad and had other tomatoes products on the Dawn. The Dr. believes that the tomatoes are the culprit.

So please be careful and avoid the tomatoes.

I work for the Health department in my Town and we had a recall on certian tomatoes...not all types....but Roma, plum...those were some of the times....Hope you are feeling better...

Because of the salmonella outbreak, the FDA advises consumers not to eat raw red Roma, raw red plum, and raw red round tomatoes, or products containing those types of tomatoes, unless the tomatoes are from the following places, which have not been linked to the outbreak:

Alabama

Arkansas

California

Georgia

Hawaii

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Minnesota

Mississippi

New York

Nebraska

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas

West Virginia

Belgium

Canada

Dominican Republic

Guatemala

Israel

Netherlands

Puerto Rico

Not sure where your tomatoes came from? The FDA suggests calling the store where you bought them for that information.

When outbreaks aren't under way, the FDA recommends washing whole, fresh produce before eating it. But during an outbreak, the stakes are too high. Washing tomatoes probably won't get rid of the contamination, so the FDA urges consumers to simply avoid eating the suspect tomatoes.

Restaurants, Retailers Pulling Tomatoes

The tomato warnings also apply to all restaurants and grocery stores. And it's not just about what's in the produce aisle. The warnings include raw tomatoes used in fresh salsa, guacamole, pico de gallo, fillings for tortillas, and in other recipes.

McDonald's, Burger King, Wal-Mart, Kroger, Outback Steakhouse, Winn-Dixie, and Taco Bell are among the companies pulling suspect tomatoes, the Associated Press reports.

WHAT ABOUT THE BLOODY MARYS!!!! OMG!!!

...wait...the vodka should take care of the contamination. i'll just have to use 3x the amount...hehehe.

(very serious post. hope this isn't some govt excuse to start importing more food from overseas.)

...wait...the vodka should take care of the contamination. i'll just have to use 3x the amount...hehehe.

DUH.gif

3x the vodka! Why didn't I think of that????

Just to be certain, only 3x?

i'd be willing to experiment using a 9:1 ration of vodka:tomato juice then serially diluting it down to 1:9 (vodka:tomato juice)

we'd have to try them all. but if we do get sick...how would we know it's not from too much vodka or contaminated tomato juice?

......blah....who cares. hehehehehehe.

(very serious post. hope this isn't some govt excuse to start importing more food from overseas.)

Good one!! Helped lighted the post!! Alcohol kills all!!

Zone-aren't you leaving on a cruise SOON!

Try those 1-9 & 9-1 combinations and let us know how it comes out (or up)

yes, sir. this sunday. with my CC tshirt for my sailaway photo. geez you'd think i worked for cruisecritic...hehehehe.

can't wait. got some good people on our roll call.

geez you'd think i worked for cruisecritic...hehehehe.

Yes, I do think you work for them...now I want my posts back-it's all your fault! lol I must work for CC as well. I got a shirt a few years ago for having the 'review of the month'. It's starting to get ragged though so the only place it's suitable for on a ship is the dining room ;)

Have a good cruise! Enjoy the hot dogs! YUMMMM

Yes, I do think you work for them...now I want my posts back! lol I must work for CC as well. I got a shirt a few years ago for having the 'review of the month'. It's starting to get ragged though

Have a good cruise! Enjoy the hotdogs! YUMMMM

i'll enjoy the hot dogs for sure! and everything else...for sure!

i'll enjoy the hot dogs for sure! and everything else...for sure!

I think you're on the Dawn. If so, I'll probably be hounding you for info when you get back---but I don't know why ;)

:( Just got off the Dawn this Sunday. On Tuesday night, I got violently ill with heachache and intestional issues. Slept all day Wednesday and felt a bit better for the rest of the trip although anything I ate became an issue. As of today, I still cannot eat and went to the Dr.

I have salmonella (Thank God I am healthy and it will just run its course). I ate a wonderful tomato salad and had other tomatoes products on the Dawn. The Dr. believes that the tomatoes are the culprit.

It's been all over the news since last week........ one case in CO. So not a huge outbreak, just if you happen to be the one.....

Our local WalMart was stocking the shelves with fresh tomatoes yesterday. When asked, the stocker said they were only receiving those that had passed inspection. I bought some and so far, so good.

They didn't have the stem on but they did say produce of the USA. I thought that maybe the bad 'matoes had come up from good ole Mexico.

They are from the United States.

I think you're on the Dawn. If so, I'll probably be hounding you for info when you get back---but I don't know why ;)

oh i'll be bringing my laptop...so i'll do my best to keep an e-journal using Word. so that by the time i come home...all i have to do is cut and paste here.

How did you or your doctor determine this was caused by tomatoes? Isn't it quite possible you had a touch of the Norovirus. Plus, I thought salmonella comes on more quickly than 2-1/2 days after the fact.

I'm not making light of the national issue, but I ate tomatoes on the Dawn in my salads and didn't get ill from them.

How did you or your doctor determine this was caused by tomatoes? Isn't it quite possible you had a touch of the Norovirus. Plus, I thought salmonella comes on more quickly than 2-1/2 days after the fact.

I'm not making light of the national issue, but I ate tomatoes on the Dawn in my salads and didn't get ill from them.

My symptons were not consistent with Norovirus per the Dr. Also, the symptons started 13 hours after eating the tomatoes. I just trust the Dr. Not everyone who eats tomatoes gets the virus, otherwise most of the country would be sick.

My symptons were not consistent with Norovirus per the Dr. Also, the symptons started 13 hours after eating the tomatoes.

Good enough. I had only seen reference to Tuesday night and the symptoms you mentioned do "qualify".

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-qa.htm

What are the symptoms of illness caused by noroviruses?

The symptoms of norovirus illness usually include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and some stomach cramping. Sometimes people additionally have a low-grade fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, and a general sense of tiredness. The illness often begins suddenly, and the infected person may feel very sick. In most people the illness is self-limiting with symptoms lasting for about 1 or 2 days. In general, children experience more vomiting than adults.

It's been a week since it started and I still have it. Maybe the Villa's had special tomatoes.:p

Smarty pants! :p We didn't eat in the Villa; we just drank in the Villa.

Did you report it to NCL while onboard or were you afraid of being quarantined? :D

I got sick one night on the cruise, but I KNOW for a fact it was too many margaritas! LOL!

Archived