Be Careful Eating The Tomatoes!!!!!!!!!!

Evilmille

:( Just got off the Dawn this Sunday. On Tuesday night, I got violently ill with heachache and intestional issues. Slept all day Wednesday and felt a bit better for the rest of the trip although anything I ate became an issue. As of today, I still cannot eat and went to the Dr.

I have salmonella (Thank God I am healthy and it will just run its course). I ate a wonderful tomato salad and had other tomatoes products on the Dawn. The Dr. believes that the tomatoes are the culprit.

So please be careful and avoid the tomatoes.

I saw a news story this morning that Florida's 30 million dollar tomato crop is on hold due to a salmanella outbreak. The FDA is trying to find the source, and until they do no Florida tomatoes are going to be shipped anywhere. Sorry that you experienced this.

:( Just got off the Dawn this Sunday. On Tuesday night, I got violently ill with heachache and intestional issues. Slept all day Wednesday and felt a bit better for the rest of the trip although anything I ate became an issue. As of today, I still cannot eat and went to the Dr.

I have salmonella (Thank God I am healthy and it will just run its course). I ate a wonderful tomato salad and had other tomatoes products on the Dawn. The Dr. believes that the tomatoes are the culprit.

So please be careful and avoid the tomatoes.

Thank you for the advise.

It's okay to eat cooked tomatoes.

Raw off the shelf tomatoes are a different matter.

When cruising, I never eat raw anything. If it's not one germ, it's another you'll have to watch out for.

Cooking the foods usually eliminates the germs....:cool:

I heard on our local news this morning that a number of fast food chains (at least locally) won't be serving tomatoes until it gets sorted out. Only some kinds of fresh tomotoes are involved.

There is more information on the Canadian Food Inspection Agency website and the FDA website.

These are safe::)

cherry tomatoes

grape tomatoes...had some last night

those sold with the vine still attached

those you grow yourself

Applebees pulled tomatoes at least by last Fri. Wonder why it's just hitting the news 3 days later.:(

These are safe::)

cherry tomatoes

grape tomatoes...had some last night

those sold with the vine still attached

those you grow yourself

Also, tomatoes from Arkansas and several other states are safe because their harvests had not yet begun when the salmonella outbreak began. So look for a grown in Arkansas sticker on your tomatoes and they should be fine.

Good grief! What next?

Thankfully, I live in southern New Jersey (where the best tomatoes in the world are grown) and our crops won't be ready for another coupla weeks...usually around July 4th.

How can salmonella get into a fresh tomato, anyhow?

I had not heard about the Tomato issue until today at lunch. While watching the noon news at a local pub, the reported was doing a story that all Cincinnati based Kroger stores were remvoing all the tomato's that are at risk, and also that all Wendy's Hamburgers would be serving their sandwhiches without tomatos until the issue is resolve.

I must have been living under a rock all weekend. Didn't hear a thing about it.

Dave

When cruising, I never eat raw anything. If it's not one germ, it's another you'll have to watch out for.

Cooking the foods usually eliminates the germs....:cool:

I thought I'd heard that if you cooked them they would be okay. But there is an article on CNN's home page that reports the FDA is not recommending eating them cooked either. They recommend avoiding them at this time.

Fortunately, we planted a garden this spring and now have tomatoes we can enjoy!

I had not heard about the Tomato issue until today at lunch. While watching the noon news at a local pub, the reported was doing a story that all Cincinnati based Kroger stores were remvoing all the tomato's that are at risk, and also that all Wendy's Hamburgers would be serving their sandwhiches without tomatos until the issue is resolve.

I must have been living under a rock all weekend. Didn't hear a thing about it.

Dave

I read that it was McDonald's , not Wendy's.

My Wendy's Cheeseburger today was served with tomatoes, as usual. Besides, it wouldn't be an Old Fashioned Hamburger without the tomato.

I thought I'd heard that if you cooked them they would be okay. But there is an article on CNN's home page that reports the FDA is not recommending eating them cooked either. They recommend avoiding them at this time.

!

Interesting. I've been browsing the FDA site and can't find anything other than Raw tomatoes in their warnings. But then, it's a big site ;)

Our local WalMart was stocking the shelves with fresh tomatoes yesterday. When asked, the stocker said they were only receiving those that had passed inspection. I bought some and so far, so good.

They didn't have the stem on but they did say produce of the USA. I thought that maybe the bad 'matoes had come up from good ole Mexico.

Our local WalMart was stocking the shelves with fresh tomatoes yesterday. When asked, the stocker said they were only receiving those that had passed inspection. I bought some and so far, so good.

They didn't have the stem on but they did say produce of the USA. I thought that maybe the bad 'matoes had come up from good ole Mexico.

That's what I suspect as well. Mexico uses tainted, feces water to irrigate. That was reported years ago on 60 Minutes.

Here's a link to an article for those interested. I think many of the fast food chains and grocery stores are pulling tomatoes just to be cautious.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/health/bal-te.tomatoes10jun10,0,739462.story

Hope you make a quick recovery, Evilmille - sorry your cruise was spoiled by the illness.

I read that it was McDonald's , not Wendy's.

My Wendy's Cheeseburger today was served with tomatoes, as usual. Besides, it wouldn't be an Old Fashioned Hamburger without the tomato.

DQ Restaurants have temporarily removed tomatoes from all of their menu items requiring them also, as of Sunday.

Per the linked newspaper article:

More than 140 people have been sicken nationwide by tomatoes and 23 have been hospitalized since mid-April, according to the FDA.

America has a population of almost 300 million. So as of today, your chances of getting sick are one in two million. That's pretty good odds. How many tomatoes have you consumed since mid-April?

Let's put some objective prespective upon this please. More than 140 people will be injuried in auto accidents today. Are we going to ban all cars and trucks?

As a restaurant owner....I am not willing to put my customers health at risk much less be in the middle of a food poisoning lawsuit ! Put yourself in the shoes of a restaurant owner and you will perhaps share our concern of food safety (at least mine).

To the OP.... I am sorry that a food illness such as this occured to you ruined your cruise..... hope that you recover quickly.

Archived