Inside quarantee question (child with motion sickness)

skaterfan

Hi, we have just booked our first cruise on the Victory leaving Feb. 13

from Miami and it is touring the Western Caribbean. My question is

that my youngest daughter gets motion sickness and I am concerned that

we might get a room high up and not mid ship. Is it worth paying a little

extra to have a room booked mid ship and on the lowest deck.

I know that we could get a lovely suite with an upgrade but I don't

want my daughter to be sick on her and our first cruise.

gaurantees are the chance youtake to be somewhere that is not a good location. If your child gets ill-- please book your cabin- stay low and mid ship. If you booked the gaurantee and got stuck outside of a disco---you will hear the noise all night which will make your child a grumpy cruiser the next day.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, we have just booked our first cruise on the Victory leaving Feb. 13

from Miami and it is touring the Western Caribbean. My question is

that my youngest daughter gets motion sickness and I am concerned that

we might get a room high up and not mid ship. Is it worth paying a little

extra to have a room booked mid ship and on the lowest deck.

I know that we could get a lovely suite with an upgrade but I don't

want my daughter to be sick on her and our first cruise.

It is possible that your daughter wont get sick at all. My son has been on 7 plus cruises and only got sick once. He isnt prone to motion sickness. Just because you have/get motions sickness once, you may not get it the next time and vise versa. When my son got sick, it was only for a few hours and the seas were really, really rough. I used to get car sick all the time as a kid and never was sea sick, after 10 cruises. My suggestion would not be to use the "power of suggestion". In other words, dont talk about it before the cruise. If she isnt feeling well, she will let you know.

My 12 year old niece is notorious for getting car sick, but she only got sick once on our cruise, and that was during VERY rough seas (we were skirting the outer edges of Hurricane Alex) that took down about half our party (including veteran cruisers).

That being said, I would still suggest you go ahead and lock in your cabin for the few extra bucks. As was previously mentioned, you could be stuck next to the disco, under the kitchen.....a lot of noisy places that would ruin the cruise not only for your daughter, but yourself as well!

And, from all I've heard, the upgrade from inside guarantee to an outside suite is FEW and FAR (VERY far!) between!!

Be safe for your first cruise, lock in a cabin. Have a wonderful time!

• 2 weeks later...

I am VERY prone to motion sickness though I have been on 18 cruises. I learned from the first few times that if I didn't want to feel sick, I had to take medication BEFORE getting on the ship. After the feeling starts, it's too late! I know everyone has their favorite remedy, but I take "less drowsy Dramamine" (Bonine also works) at least 1/2 hr. before I fly and also before I get on a ship. Every morning I take it when I wake up as well. This has stood me in very good steed even in some VERY rough waters (like we experienced near Rarotonga in Sept.) w/out making me sleepy. I insisted my mom and sister take it once when I took them on a 3 day cruise on a very large ship out of Miami. It was a stormy night and about 1/3 to 1/2 of the passengers that should have been in the D.R. that night were missing due to illness. One other person showed up at our table and his wife and her mother were seasick. So my advice (having been seasick a few times and it's MISERABLE) is to ask your dr. or pediatrician if it would be o.k. for your child to take a non-drowsy motionsickness medication & just give it to her before you have a chance to find out if she will get sick or not. It's only for a few days, after all.

Also, I think if you want to be in a specific part of the ship, do not take a chance on an "upgrade" unless your T/A will FOR SURE tell you which cabin you are getting BEFORE you have to agree to it. Many won't or can't.

Please don't be like some others and let their child suffer!!! I would take my child to the doc and get precriptions for sea-sickness. That way, if the child has a problem, you can just put it on.(if it is a patch)

I seen a young girl really bad sick because her parents did not want her on any "DRUGS".

If you do the pills, you can start off with a lower dosage, just enough to keep from puking until you can get more down.

But with a child, I would go to a doctor. Dosages will probobly be different.

Also remember that if you tender or go on an excursion on a small ship, the seasickness can be MUCH worse than on the cruise ship.

If you are prone to motion sickness, like me, take precautions. Don't plan on avoiding the problem by staying in a certain cabin, you will not be in your cabin all the time. The times I have felt sick onboard a ship are usually not when I am in my cabin. I can get queasy at the shows, at the pool, once I had to run from the photo shop. I personally don't think cabin location should be a consideration at all.

But with a child, I would go to a doctor. Dosages will probobly be different.

Also remember that if you tender or go on an excursion on a small ship, the seasickness can be MUCH worse than on the cruise ship.

Yes, very important to see a doctor. 4 people in my family, 3 different motion sickness medications (1 prescription-patch, 2 over the counter) due to age, reactions to other prescriptions, etc. We always book an assigned cabin, middle or back of ship. My older son gets motion sickness in the front of the ship, so I wouldn't want a cabin there. And, he does feel it more on the tenders. If I were you, I'd book an assigned cabin and see a doctor about medications, just in case . Better safe than sorry, especially since your daughter is prone to motion sickness.

Archived