C.C.P.I.C.S. - Class 01 - Introduce Yourself

pierces

• 4 months later...

Thank you for the time you put in to putting these classes together. I saved every page of everything you said and have now printed them out to really study.

Thank you, Dave, for everything you do for the boards here!

Thank you for the time you put in to putting these classes together. I saved every page of everything you said and have now printed them out to really study.

Thank you, Dave, for everything you do for the boards here!

Thank you from me too. I also saved it all, I actually copied and pasted these links the other day, into another folder. I'll definitely study!! I'll even try to post some photos:) if I don't get too stressed. I've already tried so MANY times and it was a miracle to stumble on this thread. I actually had to send my pictures to other CC posters and have them post them for me. Weird I know. I was also ready to send one person my log in information so she could go right into my account and post for me. :rolleyes:

One thing I'm embarrassed to admit, I found out my Mac really does have a 'right click'. I never knew that until I was at a One to One lesson and saw the guy do it. That was part of my problem with picture posting. I THINK.

~Cindy

• 2 months later...

First of all I am Zach, just getting into Photography and I love going on cruises. I have a question for you Dave. I am going on a cruise in a few months and saw many of your photos in low light with longer exposures (both of the texture of the water and sunsets.) I have heard that it can be hard to get smooth shots off the ship because of the movement of the ocean, I know it is minimal but this can effect longer shutter speeds. Do you suggest anything to counter this movement?

First of all I am Zach, just getting into Photography and I love going on cruises. I have a question for you Dave. I am going on a cruise in a few months and saw many of your photos in low light with longer exposures (both of the texture of the water and sunsets.) I have heard that it can be hard to get smooth shots off the ship because of the movement of the ocean, I know it is minimal but this can effect longer shutter speeds. Do you suggest anything to counter this movement?

The slow relative movement of a ship against the passing scenery is nearly impossible to compensate for during a long exposure (sensor or lens stabilization works best on shotr sharp movements). A tripod or monopod won't help since they are going to move with the ship. Instead, I try to work the background into a picture of part of the ship where the blurry horizon and silky water adds texture to the scene. In that case a tripod or even bracing the camera against a rail or wall works like a charm.

My sunsets are usually shot with pretty high shutter speeds since sunsets, even at the end, are still pretty bright.

Enjoy your cruise. They are great opportunities to experiment with your camera.

Dave

I opened a Picassa account, managed to upload a picture - but when I go to "link this picture" the address I get is

"https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/GoBo4EpOYdHxf3e5Ubv51nVMs70UXgKkeOp6TINZeN8?feat=directlink"

which appears rather different than tat which appears in the instructions in Lesson 1. I am using a Mac.

I tried the second option, but when I right click on the web album image, the option of "properties" does not appear.

Would someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Ollie

I opened a Picassa account, managed to upload a picture - but when I go to "link this picture" the address I get is

"https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/GoBo4EpOYdHxf3e5Ubv51nVMs70UXgKkeOp6TINZeN8?feat=directlink"

which appears rather different than tat which appears in the instructions in Lesson 1. I am using a Mac.

I tried the second option, but when I right click on the web album image, the option of "properties" does not appear.

Thanks!

Ollie

I will be watching this closely because I'm using a MacBook Pro and I can't post pictures on here. In the past I've even had to send my pics to others on the boards and they've posted them for me. With their account. Definitely can't do it trying to use CC and taking pictures from iPhoto albums..... Its frustrating. I'm not even going to bother with the picassa account now since you confirmed you can't do it from there either. Oh well, I never claimed to be computer literate.:rolleyes: Well I DID post a teeny tiny picture once, but you couldn't see it.

~Cindy

The slow relative movement of a ship against the passing scenery is nearly impossible to compensate for during a long exposure (sensor or lens stabilization works best on shotr sharp movements). A tripod or monopod won't help since they are going to move with the ship. Instead, I try to work the background into a picture of part of the ship where the blurry horizon and silky water adds texture to the scene. In that case a tripod or even bracing the camera against a rail or wall works like a charm.

My sunsets are usually shot with pretty high shutter speeds since sunsets, even at the end, are still pretty bright.

Enjoy your cruise. They are great opportunities to experiment with your camera.

Dave

Thanks so much and thanks for putting this all together. I looked through your shots on your site and they are wonderful!

Thanks!

Ollie

Ollie, try and see if these instructions will work for you (the Insert Image icon mentioned is the one with the mountain on a yellow background)

Posting pictures from Picasa to CruiseCritic

Go to your Picasa Web Album and click on the picture that you want to post on CC. Click on “Link to this photo.” In the right column, select the size that you want to post and select "Image only". Click on the HTML in the bottom box to select it. Then click CTRL-C to copy to the clipboard.

In the reply box in CC click the Insert image icon.* A small box will open for you to insert the HTML code that you just copied. Click CTRL-V to paste the HTML into the box. The picture should appear in the reply box. Click Preview Post to see if it is OK. Then click Submit reply.

*Please note that depending on your security setting, you might receive a warning message. If you do then “allow” access and click the Insert image icon again.

Hello, while I have been on CC for years this is my first visit to this board and thought I might introduce myself.

So... let see what photos best speaks to who I am and why I am here?

St-Thomas-1.jpg

My passion is 3D Cross-Eye Stereoscopic Photos. Add to this my love for photo manipulation (heavy use of Photoshop) to create effects and presentations.

On each cruise we take I try and get a private time with 2 (or more) of the showgirls and then manipulate them so they represent the cruise line on which they are sailing.

Here are 3 such examples.

Caribbean Princess

Dancers2.jpg

and... Carnival Pride

dancers2.jpg

dancers-with-filmstrip.jpg

If you would like to get instructions on how to view these in 3D visit my blog here

Any questions please let me know

This thread/class is awesome! I've read through them all. Is it too late to take the assignments? Is this thread still alive?

It is as alive as you want it to me!:D

Feel free to run through the classes and try out the "exercises". Many of the people that helped answer questions and critique submissions are still poking around the board.

Dave

Ollie, try and see if these instructions will work for you (the Insert Image icon mentioned is the one with the mountain on a yellow background)

Thanks for the update! Picasa Web Albums have gone through some changes since the article first came out.

Maybe I'll update the article and add some stuff...?

Dave

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived