Excursion Suggestions

sillylizzie

We'll be in Roatan in October, and were wondering what you all suggest for shore excursions.

We're a group of 8 adults, fairly active, in our late 20's/early 30's. Chances are we'll be doing ATVs in Cozumel & cave tubing in Belize.

I didn't know if there was something not to miss in Roatan. We've talked about kayaking, zip lining, an island jeep tour, snorkeling, and white water rafting. Is there something/someplace not to miss on this island??

Thanks in advance! :)

We'll be in Roatan in October, and were wondering what you all suggest for shore excursions.

We're a group of 8 adults, fairly active, in our late 20's/early 30's. Chances are we'll be doing ATVs in Cozumel & cave tubing in Belize.

I didn't know if there was something not to miss in Roatan. We've talked about kayaking, zip lining, an island jeep tour, snorkeling, and white water rafting. Is there something/someplace not to miss on this island??

Roatan is a relatively new port of call, so there is not much in the way of 'touristy' things yet..which is GREAT.

My sons ziplined at South Shore. Loved it, said they'd do it again in a heartbeat. We used Victor Bodden's private tours, and Tex took us wherever we wanted. My husband is Jamaican, and was interested in the 'real' Roatan-wanted to see where the folks live, eat, etc. He was more than accommodating.

While our sons zipped, we wandered thru a town that is a 'resort' area-mostly hotels that cater to divers. Neat little town (hot and humid, but that's to be expected). He got to sample some local food, and was even offered two green coconuts (for the water and jelly) and mangoes from someone's yard.

I know you can do the 'swim with the dolphins' thing, but we didn't. There's also a cameo factory (didn't do that either LOL). We did take a beach break before heading back to our ship.

I know that Victor's guides, should you go that route, can make suggestions as for things to do....and they offer a discounted rate for more than 4 in a group.

Good luck, have fun!

Small world; we lived in West Haven and in New Haven near lighthouse point park. my husband went to branford hs too.

He managed the friendly's that was on route 1 (until it closed after his transfer) and his first job after college was in that crazy eddie's on route one....(also closed due to bankruptcy).

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely keep Victor in mind. We normally use Shore Trips, but they really don't have many options for Roatan. Victor is on our list! :)

You're right it is a small world. :) There's a Friendly's still on Rte 1 in Milford now, next to Hooters. Not sure if it's the same one your husband used to work at or not. We live near Milford Hospital, closer to the water, and like it just fine. I'm a native Vermonter myself, having only lived in CT since '01.

Thanks again for the suggestions, the only thing I know for sure is that I don't want to swim with dolphins!

Having been to Roatan several times since 2003 and seeing the changes going on there now with the influx of foreign money to build resort areas and cruise line money to build larger pier areas and a second pier for the island, I would suggest you take a small portion of your time in Roatan to walk down the streets of Coaxen Hole (located to the right of your pier area when you exit the pier gates).

Our first trip to Roatan was only a few years ago and at that time there was almost nothing in Coaxen Hole outside of small Mom & Pop stores where locals were trying to earn a living from the few cruise pax that came there each week.

Each time we've gone back to the island we've seen more and more of the Mom & Pop stores disappearing as large companies come in and buy up the port area to provide ``better shopping venues'' for the tourists, shopping venues owned by big conglomorate companies that sell the same jewerly, glow in the sun t-shirts and cheap silver that you can find at about any other port in the Caribbean.

Roatan, as a local stop filled with local stores owned by local merchants, will all too soon disappear from the scene.

Dianne

Though we're not big shoppers, we will definitely check out Coaxen Hole. We usually try to see as much of each port of call as possible, and end up rushing toward the ship an hour before it's about to set sail. :)

If you make it to Coaxen Hole with some time before your ship departs, stop by the Blind Tiger restarant/bar that is locacated at the tip of the shopping area of Coaxen Hole before you get to the last portion of the treck back to the port.

If you walk back to the back of the Blind Tiger through the new ``hallway'' alongside the establishment was was created a few years ago, you can sit out on a serene patio overlooking the ship pier/dock while you sip a few local beers. the view of the bay there is terrific. In past years we've found many of our ships' crew members sitting back with a cold bubbly and enjoying the food.

The view of the bay and friendliness of the employees of the Blind Tiger is well worth the stop.:)

Dianne

If you make it to Coaxen Hole with some time before your ship departs, stop by the Blind Tiger restarant/bar that is locacated at the tip of the shopping area of Coaxen Hole before you get to the last portion of the treck back to the port.

If you walk back to the back of the Blind Tiger through the new ``hallway'' alongside the establishment was was created a few years ago, you can sit out on a serene patio overlooking the ship pier/dock while you sip a few local beers. the view of the bay there is terrific. In past years we've found many of our ships' crew members sitting back with a cold bubbly and enjoying the food.

The view of the bay and friendliness of the employees of the Blind Tiger is well worth the stop.:)

Dianne

The view from the ship of the houses surrounding the bay was soooo pretty and serene. I really have torn feelings about the construction that is going up at the pier.

We got a chance to wander around Half Moon Bay while our sons were zipping. While most of those shops do cater to the diving trade, it was still pretty rustic...! Our tour guide offered to take us to his favorite local food place (my husband was craving REAL caribbean food!) but none of us were hungry. I tried to convince him to go anyway LOL.....but he is a man of steel will.

We decided we may visit roatan, belize, and grand cayman on a land based trip. (throw cozumel too). I like that we got to 'sample' all of these places, but even six hours is not long enough to really see anyplace. We are actually considering buying outside of the country for retirement in 20 yrs! (if can i bear to be that far from my boys and potential grandchildren!)

Which Valor sailing in October are you going on, fellow Nutmegger? :D

We're already planning to go to Fins & Flippers when we hit Roatan. The day before in Grand Cayman, we'll be snorkeling most of the day, and the day after in Belize we'll be doing cave tubing. Cozumel, we have NO clue yet. We sort of want something a little more laid back and relaxing for Roatan, so F&F it is!

Which Valor sailing in October are you going on, fellow Nutmegger? :D

We're leaving on the 12th. Looks like we'll get back almost in time for you to leave.

Out of curiosity, what does the 430 in your username in reference to?

Dianne

Thanks for the suggestion, Dianne. We'll definitely have to check it out.

We're leaving on the 12th. Looks like we'll get back almost in time for you to leave.

Thanks for the suggestion, Dianne. We'll definitely have to check it out.

Have always seen several crew members from the ship on that back patio eating dinners or just chillin' out over a few local beers. DH & I learned long ago to go where the crew goes for dinner or a good drink.:D

Dianne

Has anyone been to Gumbalimba Park, and what did they think of it?

We tried to, but because we drove ourselves, rather than booking through the ship, they wouldn't allow us in! Seems they have a policy that on days there's a ship in port, the park is closed to anyone but tours booked through the cruiselines. (Wish they'd have told us that onboard the Valor!) I can tell you that the road into the park is very pretty, and the park itself looks like a workwhile stop.

We rented a car and spent our time on Roatan touring the island ourselves. Had an amazing day...loved Roatan...now we're looking to buy property there (while it's still affordable)! :D

We tried to, but because we drove ourselves, rather than booking through the ship, they wouldn't allow us in! Seems they have a policy that on days there's a ship in port, the park is closed to anyone but tours booked through the cruiselines. (Wish they'd have told us that onboard the Valor!) I can tell you that the road into the park is very pretty, and the park itself looks like a workwhile stop.

Wow! That's good to know, especially since there is no mention of it on numerous websites advertising trips to the park. :cool:

We were married April 30th - 4/30 - so it's just our anniversary date. I consider it fortunate we didn't get hitched on April 20th, or the numbers would refer to something MUCH different than intended!

You'll have to come post a review of what you end up doing!

[/url]

Wow! That's good to know, especially since there is no mention of it on numerous websites advertising trips to the park. :cool:

Just goes to show the neat things you can find out on Cruise Critic!!

Kat 110105_emYA11_prv.gif

We were married April 30th - 4/30 - so it's just our anniversary date. I consider it fortunate we didn't get hitched on April 20th, or the numbers would refer to something MUCH different than intended!

As an FYI - I had only asked because that is my birthday, and was curious! Plus, I though all the coincidences would have been funny had it been YOUR birthday as well. :D

We were there about 5 or 6 years ago and if you would like to just relax, Sante Wellness Center is a day spa that gives massages. It was very peaceful lounging around waiting for my massage. I think they have added some water sports since we were there. Here is their website: santewellnesscenter.com

• 2 months later...

Thanks to everyone who replied. :) I really appreciate it.

We ended up booking a tour with Victor Bodden Tours - 'The Best of Roatan.' In emailing back and forth with Victor it pretty much sounds like we'll decide what we want to do when we're down there, based on the weather/time and what not.

Only 47 more days until the cruise! :D

Archived