Queen Mary

GophersMN

Has anyone stayed on the Queen Mary hotel either prior to or after cruising out of LA(Long Beach)? How was it? Do they run a shuttle to the NCL pier or is it close enough to take a taxi at a reasonable rate. THANKS

Has anyone stayed on the Queen Mary hotel either prior to or after cruising out of LA(Long Beach)? How was it? Do they run a shuttle to the NCL pier or is it close enough to take a taxi at a reasonable rate. THANKS

I researched this a few years ago when we sailed out of Los Angeles (San Pedro). The reviews I found on the Queen Mary were mostly negative, when I learned the company was close to bankruptcy and owed the city of Long Beach back taxes I decided to cross it off my list.

We stayed in Long Beach at the Hyatt Regency and could see the Queen Mary from our room window. It's in the area called "The Pike" and there are many restaurants and shopping -- great place to spend a pre-cruise day.

Cab ride to the ship @ San Pedro was short and quick -- if I remember right it was between $10 and $15.

I know this doesn't answer your Queen Mary question, but it is the best I have..

We have a friend who used to live near the Queen Mary and she told us they used to go there for the weekend a lot. Even if they couldn't make it a whole weekend adventure, they would go for dinner, etc. They loved it. We stayed at the Cost Hotel that overlooks the Queen Mary and loved it. It is a great area to stay in for a day or two. Both the Queen Mary and the Coast Hotel are in an area that has very nice free city buses and you can catch one every 15 mins or so. I believe they go in two or three circled routes. Across the bay on one of the routes is the Pacific Aquarium, several really great restaurants, etc.

As far as a "reasonable" taxi fare, when we were there in November of last year and sailed on the Star out of the Port of LA, the taxi fare cost us $60.00 including tip. I don't know if that has changed with the cost of gas going up so much or if there are now surcharges you might be charged extra.

We stayed on the Queen Mary three years ago before our cruise on the Star. I'm glad we did it, but I'd never do it again! If you're a history buff, the experience is very unique. Our room was like stepping back in time 60 years and it was quite nice roaming the supposedly haunted ship at night with no other people around. Guests get a free walking tour brochure. The walls are paper thin however, and we had to change rooms when our neighbors had a loud disagreement that went on for at least 30 minutes. Beds and pillows were worn and hard. Toilet seat slid off if you didn't sit down just right. Evening activities are slim to none. There is a restaurant and cool bar to have a drink. If you're looking for a luxury room and full service hotel, the QM is not for you. You can always take a tour instead of spending the night.

At least when we were there, Carnival was docking right next door. That would have been convenient.

We didn't take a taxi to San Pedro because we already had a rental car, and they took us to the ship after we dropped it off.

We stayed on the Queen Mary in February. Our room inclued breakfast each morning and a couple of tours of the ship. We would do it again. There is a free shuttle bus that takes you across the bridge into Long Beach. No shuttle to NCL pier. Our taxi ride was around $30 for the two of us.

Archived