First Timers

keldor

Not only will we be taking our first cruise in August, it will also be our first trip to Canada. We start our tour in Toronto, visit the Rockies,and ride the rails aboard the Rocky Mountaineer before arriving in Vancouver. The highlight of our trip will be our cruise to Alaska aboard MS Statendam.

We have been reading Holland America boards and have been delighted with how much information is available and how helpful and friendly everyone seems. We have been able to find answers to most of our queries but would appreciate any tips for first timers.

Someone mentioned dam dollars, what are these.

Is it easy to arrange the sightseeing trips on board ship or is it better to arrange them prior to sailing. Suggestions for unmissable trips ?

We have read very little regarding Statendam, does anyone have any comments regarding her.

As newcomers we would value your comments.

Sounds like a great trip. The Rockies by train are wonderful. Shore excursions sometimes sell out so the earlier you book them the better. I've booked them on-line with no problem and the tickets have been waiting in my stateroom at embarkation. I've never done the Alaska cruise but I've heard the glacier tours are worthwhile, but I am sure you will soon have answers from people with first hand experience. As for your ship, click on "reviews" at the top of this page. enter your ship's name and you will be able to read the experiences, good and bad, that other cruisers have had. Have a wonderful trip and welcome to Canada.....Michael:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

That is a wonderful trip across country to get to Vancouver.

We have sailed the Statendam including Alaska. She is a nice ship. Two of our favorite spots on the ship are the Crow's Nest and the Piano Bar.

We enjoy whale watching and helicopter tours.

We usually book our tours before on HAL's site before we leave home as some tours do sell out quickly.

If you have quite a few hours in Juneau, take a helicopter or float tour there. Then take the Blue Bus out to Mendenhall Glacier - $7 per person each way. You can spend as much time there on your own walking the trails. The visitor's center costs $3 per person. Keep in mind that there isn't any place to get something to eat there.

l. "Dam dollars" are the prizes for winning at Bingo, Trivia and other activities on board. They can be used toward purchases of T-shirts etc.

2. Highly recommend booking excursions prior to the cruise. Many in Alaska sell out plus you will not have to stand in a long line at the onboard Excursion Desk.

3. Have not sailed on the Statendam but suggest you read the reviews from other cruisers to get a feel for what the ship is like. These reviews (Alaska) usually will tell about the excursions they took.

4. Review the ports section of this site and you can ask or just read many of the suggestions about excursions at the various ports.

You are doing the right thing because pre-planning and booking ahead can make all the difference on having a outstanding cruise.

You will love Alaska and IMO Hal does a fantastic job.

Welcome to CC and the HAL forum! :)

Someone mentioned dam dollars, what are these.
They are "play money" accrued by participating in various shipboard activities which are often (but not always) athletic in nature. The events awarding dam dollars will be marked by a special symbol in the Daily Program. At the end of the cruise your dd's can be used to buy HAL logo goods like coffee mugs, caps, shirts, etc.

Is it easy to arrange the sightseeing trips on board ship or is it better to arrange them prior to sailing. Suggestions for unmissable trips ?

Some popular excursions sell out well before sailing, so if there is something that that you really want to do it is best to book it as soon as you can afford to pay for it. Helicopter rides that land on a glacier are very memorable if you can afford it and are not afraid of helicopters. Whale-watching boat rides are enjoyed by most people.

We have read very little regarding Statendam, does anyone have any comments regarding her.

We had a great time on last Sep! I hope you do too. :)

"Dam dollars" are the prizes for winning at Bingo, Trivia and other activities on board.
I've never seen dam dollars given out at Bingo - just real money or a free cruise at the end of the cruise.

I have done both legs of your upcoming trip but not at the same time. The rail trip across Canada was great. I assume you will visit Niagara Falls before boarding the train. Once you reach the west coast, and if you have time, you may wish to visit Butchart Gardens in Victoria as they are spectacular.

We've travelled to Alaska twice, both times on the Statendam. It is a very nice ship and you will enjoy typical great HAL service. Like others have said, I would recommend you book any excursions online before you board. As this is your first cruise, you may not know that you can read descriptions of all available excursions on the HAL web site and book the ones you like. You will not have any problems should you later change your minds and decide on something else.

You might also like to read Captain Albert's blogs. He is the Captain on the Veendam, another HAL ship which is currently in Alaskan service. You can read his blog at http://www.avidcruiser.com/albert/

Is Sitka on your itinerary? If so, the Davey Lubin tour (look online and/or just Google Davey Lubin). His whale/puffins/wildlife/birds tour is just the best and he is very knowledgeable and takes 6 people at a time, one tour in the a.m. and another around 1pm. WELL worth your while! It was the highlight of our AK cruise in May, 2008. Have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived