Documentation

We have booked our cruise directly over the Internet and have paid in full. We have received a confirmation of our booking by email with a booking reference number. Will we receive actual 'tickets' or information about pre-bookable shore excursions etc by post (and if so when) or do we just turn up at the port with our internet print out with our booking number?

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but can't find the information on the website itself!

We have booked Thomson cruises with Thomson, Portland Direct and Cruise Deals (all TUI Companies). With all of them, we have received our tickets by post about 3 weeks before departure - but always 2 weeks before. If they haven't arrived by then, ring the firm you booked through and enquire. We once had to do this and received two sets! (The first set was in the post when I rang, but they just sent out another one in case they'd got lost - they aren't of value to anyone else even if they do get lost as they can only be used by you in conjunction with your passport when you go through the embarkation process.)

You didn't say which internet company you used but I would think that some initial booking paperwork will arrive within about 5 working days with details of your booking plus a statement of your account (paid-up in your case) despite your email confirmation. Then, your tickets should come later nearer to departure - the only exception to this is if you have booked within a short period before departure and you will then pick up your tickets at the airport/port. As you are travelling independently to the port, it would be at the checking-in desk, I imagine - and you would need your print-out then as they wouldn't have had time to send you anything else.

Your ticket booklet will give you quite a lot of useful information about your cruise including a brief description of the excursions. As far as I know these are not pre-bookable on Thomson (at least I've never been given the option.) When you get on board, there will be a Excursions Guide with a booking form in your cabin. This will give you all the details of the trips and costs and you can fill it in straight away if you wish or wait until the destination services people do their Showcase presentations telling you about the various trips before you make your mind up.

Just a tip though, usually you don't learn a lot more than what's in the brochure and if there is an excursion you particularly want to do, book early in case it has limited availability and gets filled up. You will be embarking quite early compared with most passengers who will be flying in from the UK and arriving in the afternoon and early evening so you'll have a head start in terms of selecting and booking early if you want to. Just go to the Destinations Desk and hand in your booking form or if they're not open, drop it in the box. You can also go to them and quizz them about any of the trips to see which you think is right for you.

There are other people on this board who have done the Calypso trip and will be able to give you tips on which ports have really good excursions and where it's easy to DiY if you want to. Also the message boards on the 'ports' section have info on different ports which you might find helpful.

Sorry, this has gone on a bit, but hope it's sorted things out for you - I know what it's like the first time you go - everything's new and you haven't any idea how things work. Enjoy the planning for your trip - it part of the fun and have a great first cruise!!

Thanks Kruzseeka! I've booked directly with Thomsons on their own website. I am really looking forward to my cruise, as my husband and I have never done one before ........ he's always saying that we're too young (mid 50s!) but I hope this will change his mind!

Hi Alsacienne

Don't worry about the age thing. You'll probably find that nowadays there are a lot more youngsters going on cruises that there used to be.

My husband and I are also in the same age bracket and have been on 5 Thomson cruises now with the 6th starting on Thursday this week. We certainly don't feel too young. You will find there is a broad range of ages on board.

I bet once you do this one you will do more. They are brilliant.

Janet:)

Hi,

We booked with Thomson over the internet at the end of December last year. We sail on 4th July on Emerald and we got our tickets about three weeks ago. We're mid 50's as well and it's our first cruise too. Counting the hours!

Isobel

Well what do you know!!

I reread my Confirmation email very carefully and I had to download a form for each of us, fill it in and hand it in when we arrive onboard ship ....... there is NO other documentation needed!!

BUT I did write to Thomsons to ask about pre-booking excursions, and their email address given did not work. I swapped the .com for .co.uk and it was sent, but ....... no reply yet. I don't think I'm going to get much further with them, but will try to sort things out onboard when I arrive ....

I found emailing a lost cause - but they are usually very helpful if you phone. The only problem is it's sometimes a while before you can get through. I've not come across the forms before though. I'll bear it in mind when next we book.

I wonder if that means you won't get the little booklet with your flight tickets in and details of your itinery etc. That's the one that gives info on some of the excursions as well as life on board and packing suggestions. We got one for our cruise in April this year through Cruisedeals but it was obviously produced by Thomson. Perhaps they've changed their system since then.

When are you due to travel? I'd be interested to know whether you get a booklet or not.

• 1 month later...

Booked 4 day ago on the Thomson website. In my confirmation Email it said "It is important that you keep a record of this reference number until you

receive written confirmation from us by post. This will be sent shortly".

Well I've been very pleased so far with the response from Thomson to my emails ........... two letters, and not just the standard format, but with some personalised paragraphs.

The upshot is that I will not receive any further information about the excursions - all they have is what I have read on the website - and these cannot be reserved ahead of embarkation. They have confirmed that there is no launderette on board, but that they have a laundry service, but cannot give prices ahead of time. This info will be available on the ship.

As I am 'cruise only', I will not receive any more documentation from them. I have received my final invoice and have downloaded my embarkation form from the link given, and that's that as far as they are concerned.

Now it's just up to me to start planning the packing.

Anyone else travelling on the Calypso on 28 September? Or are OH and I alone on board?

Happy travelling and smooth seas to anyone else travelling this summer.

Archived