NYC port - time question?

Kat4Carolina

Good morning!

Our cruise leaves in 17 days from NYC and I can't wait! We will have been in the city for several days prior and I'm wondering what we should do the day of our cruise departure.

We will be staying at the Marriott Marquis and the earliest we can get on the ship is 1:00 PM. I've read this isn't a quick process, so I'm wondering if we should leave our luggage with the front desk at the Marriott and go out and enjoy the wonderful city some more and embark closer to 3:30. Would we have less of a wait the longer we wait to board?

Also, how long will it take to get from the Marriott to the terminal (we are leaving from the NY Terminal).

Thanks so much for your suggestions and advice!

We generally arrive at the terminal around 11:30 so we can enjoy lunch on board; we've always been aboard well before 1. The taxi from the Marriott is a very short ride - you're going from 45th and 7th to 55th and 12th. If traffic isn't jammed at the pier entrance, it should be less than 10 minutes (but give yourself extra time in case there is a traffic jam). Also, if you leave your bags with the bell captain at the Marriott, you need to give a little time for them to retrieve your luggage from storage. You check your bags in the 8th Floor lobby, but you retrieve them from the staff at the Broadway entrance. If they're busy, it can take a few minutes to get your bags. You can get in the taxi line while you're waiting, though.:)

Good morning!

Our cruise leaves in 17 days from NYC and I can't wait! We will have been in the city for several days prior and I'm wondering what we should do the day of our cruise departure.

We will be staying at the Marriott Marquis and the earliest we can get on the ship is 1:00 PM. I've read this isn't a quick process, so I'm wondering if we should leave our luggage with the front desk at the Marriott and go out and enjoy the wonderful city some more and embark closer to 3:30. Would we have less of a wait the longer we wait to board?

Also, how long will it take to get from the Marriott to the terminal (we are leaving from the NY Terminal).

Thanks so much for your suggestions and advice!

Ships leave at 4pm 3:30 and you miss the Ship 1 hr prior the latest

We usually get to the port about 11:30 and have lunch when we get on board.. You are very close to the port so plan on about 10-15 min by cab. Sometimes you get to the port and get on very quickly and the next time, it's sit and wait. I wouldn't wait much past 2pm, but then I'm one of those always early people.

Rosemary

... Our cruise leaves in 17 days from NYC and I can't wait!...

From your other posts I see you are sailing on the 7/12/08 Carnival Victory cruise departing at 5:00 P.M.

At this time, per the Carnival site at http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Embarkation_Arrival.aspx:

Important Embarkation Arrival Advisory and Embarkation Processspacer.gif

Government regulations for U.S. departure ports require that a final departure manifest is submitted 60 minutes prior to departure. Guests must provide us with the required information prior to embarkation. The easiest and most convenient way is to complete our FunPass on line registration process (www.carnival.com/mycruise) at least (3) three days prior to departure. Guests that do not complete the registration process prior to embarkation are required to check-in at least 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time.

In addition, U.S. Customs and Border Protection will no longer be accepting oral declarations to satisfy the requirements for identity and citizenship documentation. Guests must present the proper travel documentation at embarkation. For complete information on the required travel documentation, please visit the U.S. Government website (www.travel.state.gov).

We would appreciate your assistance with helping us to comply with these new U.S. Government regulations. We strongly encourage you to complete the online registration process at least three (3) days prior to departure.

Most importantly, we want to thank you for choosing Carnival for your vacation. We are looking forward to providing you with a great cruise experience.

Embarkation Hours:

Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Mobile, Galveston, Tampa, Port Canaveral, New Orleans, Los Angeles and San Diego - 1:30 P.M.

New York, Vancouver, Rome (Civitavechia) and Whittier – 12:30 P.M.

San Juan - 2:30 P.M.

London (Dover) - Noon

Honolulu - 1:00 P.M.

Ensenada - 6:00 P.M.

You must check in at least one hour prior to departure.

Please note at this time the Carnival boarding time for New York starts at 12:30 P.M. with check in at least one hour prior to departure. Some cruise lines are changing their check in requirement to at least two hours prior to departure. I suggest you check the Carnival site closer to your departure date to see if Carnival has changed their requirement by then.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and would hate to see you miss it!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Just sailed on June 10 from NYC. We got to the port around 10:00 am and had no traffic into the port, no problem parking, no lines and very easy check-in. Its true we did have to wait until about 12:15 to get on the ship, but we were able to sit in chairs while waiting (there is a limited number of chairs so the people that came later had to stand in very long, crowded lines). The people that came later had to face TONS of traffic into the pier (I heard it took up to 30 minutes to get from across the street!) and VERY long lines for check-in. While they were dealing with that mess we were eating lunch on the Lido deck. Sure we had to sit in the terminal for a bit, but better than standing in long check in lines.

Thanks...I think we have decided to go earlier than later.

One more question, when we debark on Thursday, will there be taxis readily available to get us to LGA? We have a 1:00 flight which is the earliest Carnival recommends, so I want to make sure we plan ahead for our departure. (Although I don't want to think about leaving yet!)

Archived