quick muster question

momoforthodoc

my dh and i will be sailing the regatta for the first time, first time on oceania and just want to know how they run their muster. every cruise line does things differently and we'd like to be prepared. some make you go out on the promenade deck, while others have you in lounges and restaurants.

thanks for your responses.

jeralyn ;)

On our cruises, Oceania starts you in a lounge, then marches you out to the lifeboat deck, properly wearing your life jacket. They also took a count, and if not everyone was there, took roll. They are serious about muster, but not officious, and it passes quickly.

It often depends upon the Captain, some of them insist on a full drill - others opt to hold it entirely in the dining area, especially if it's cold or wet outside.

But, rest assured, it is taken very seriously and woe betide those who try to hide in their rooms. When found, their punishment is terrible to behold!

It was different on each of my 3 "O" cruises on all 3 ships. On my last one it was all done inside the MDR and main theater showroom. The weather was very good as I remember.

On our last two sailings, both on the Regatta, it was assemble at your life boat stations with your life jacket properly on your body.

Although it's a serious matter, it never ceases to amaze me the number of pax. that can't stop talking. To them it's probably a useless experience. And yet these are the people who would most likely panic in case an "abandon ship" order was given.

Some people never leaen!

The last 4 cruises we went to the dining room (our area) then were taken to the boat deck.

The 1st cruise I do not recall if we went outside after the dining room check-in.

They do take is seriously.

Many people who have cruised often just treat it as a joke but I bet they will be the first screaming when they cannot find the lifeboat station in a real emergency.

Yes I also listen & watch the flight attendants during their safety spiel.:rolleyes:

thanks for your responses. i agree that there are people who think this is a huge joke. we're usually very prompt to our drills getting to our assigned muster station early. my dh also take the flight attendants very seriously before taking off and always asks what the number of the exit row is behind us. better to be safe then sorry.

thanks again!

jeralyn ;)

When we were in the Med on O this April with an 8pm sailaway, the muster was at 4:45 or 5:15. It was a good time since it did not interupt dinner plans, but I am sure there were a number of passengers who had not yet arrived to the ship due to touring Rome prior to embarkation.

Mike

On O, the muster begins in the GDR. As you enter, your name is checked off a master passenger list. Anyone who did not appear/was not checked in had their name read to verify their absence. I assume that the ship sought out those missing individuals subsequently and went through the drill with them as soon as possible thereafter.

On O, the muster begins in the GDR. As you enter, your name is checked off a master passenger list. Anyone who did not appear/was not checked in had their name read to verify their absence. I assume that the ship sought out those missing individuals subsequently and went through the drill with them as soon as possible thereafter.

we understand that those who "miss" the life boat drill without a written excuse have never been heard of again.

Archived