Need to lose 30 pounds before 2/6/2009 need buddies!

Good luck Jen on the Zumba and the green tea formula. I looked on U Tube at Zumba and I don't think my big fat old body can do it! I also looked at your Ultra Lean Green. Seems they like the website likes to put you on automated shipping. I'm not sure I'm ready for that. I think I'm going to try the 2 Day Diet Pill. Seems there are a lot of people have success with that one. I'm doing OK with my eating, exercising more than normal for me but with my age I need an extra boost to get over these many plateaus.

Is everyone still doing the Monday weigh ins? I didn't see a lot of posted weights this week.

Marlene

Thanks Marlene!! It's so fun! The beginning dvd which teaches you the steps sure gets you goin! Today I start the 20 Minute Express so we'll see how that pans out. There's one combination that's pretty hard once you bring it up to tempo but luckily, I caught on to it :)

I haven't weighed myself yet, probably be this sunday. I don't have a scale so I'll have to go to my mother in law's and borrow hers.

I can already feel it working. My legs were sore yesterday as well as my abs but I can't complain when it's a fun, engaging workout. I'm glad I've finally found something that doesn't bore me to death!

Keep up the great work!!

Hi to all. I've been finshing up my Friday afternoon at work and reading this thread trying to get mentally psyhced up to committ to joining you all.

I've been a yoyo dieter since my 20's and I'm at my highest weight ever.

Not even sure how much since I won't get on the scales. Somewhere about 200 lbs.

I'll weigh this w/e and post on Monday. I will surely need support.

It's scary because I've done this so many times before and here I am again.

Marla

We are here to help you with the loss. I started the Monday after Labor Day (returned from vacation) and I too was at my highest weight ever (197.6). I think the support of the boards certainly helps for encouragement and to know I have to report in on Monday. Also feel free to join some of us at "30 lbs to New Years". There are some great people on that thread and we chat daily with encouragement. Let us know what diet you are thinking of going on and maybe someone is on the same one. FYI - I've lost 15 lbs so far (little less than 5 weeks). I have a 35th anniversary cruise coming up in Feb so trying to get this weight off! And remember:

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS!

Marlene

Hey gang! How's everybody doing?

Zumba is fantastic! I haven't seen any visual results yet or at least, that I've noticed.. They always say other people notice before you do.. Anywho, my clothes for sure fit bigger so that's a good sign! I have a pair of jeans that are size 9s in Jrs and when I tried them on this morning, they fit!! So, I went from a 11/13 to a 9..WOOHOO!! I can definately feel the difference in my body though.

I STILL havent weighed myself..Maybe because I don't want to see a number lol

The Zumba I orderded comes with a dvd that breaks everything down so you can learn it and then when you're comfortable with the moves to where you feel like you can keep up, then you go on to the actual workouts. The intro dvd will sure get your heart going though! They break everything down into what they call Easy Beats 1 2 and 3. 1 is where they take it very slow, 2 they bring it up a notch and 3 is up to tempo with the music. I thought it was very easy to learn the steps but then again I have a background in dance so I pick up a lot faster than most people I know.

So that's all that's going on down here in the Lonestar state! Hope you guys are getting the results you're after too.

KEEP IT UP!!!!!!

Jen

Hey Marlene!

Sounds like everything's going pretty well for you! So far, so good.. just been Zumba-ing away! I missed a few days though :( 2 of them I was out of town and didn't take the dvds with me and the other day I was just being lazy.. Got stuck in a rut of depression thinking I'm not going to lose the weight in time. I only have 74 days so I'm getting nervous about the weight not coming off.

Anywho, keep up the good work!

Jen

Jen,

I had also gotten down because the weight wasn't coming off. I lost 1/2 lb one week and the next week I was yo yoing all over the place, just like the stock market! My sister, who is also losing weight and is on one of the boards with me, gave me a good lecture about not giving up, etc. and got me back on track. At the end of the week I had lose 2 lbs! So I had a total of 2 1/2 lbs in 2 weeks - not great, but at least the scales started moving in the right direction again. I started trying to drink either a protein shake or a couple eggs (protein) first thing in the morning. That may be helping. Two of the people on the other board (one being my sister) are going to a doctor to lose weight and both have been told to start with something high in protein in the mornings (must be more protein than carbs) and that this will get your metabolism going for the day. They have both been told to have a certain # of protein grams each day to help with the weight loss. So I'm trying to do that. Let's see if it continues to work for me!

Check out: 30 lbs by New Years Board (for more specifics on the protein, etc) Angel Kisses and Nana&Poppy2526 have been sharing that information with us.

Marlene

Marlene

Jen,

I had also gotten down because the weight wasn't coming off. I lost 1/2 lb one week and the next week I was yo yoing all over the place, just like the stock market! My sister, who is also losing weight and is on one of the boards with me, gave me a good lecture about not giving up, etc. and got me back on track. At the end of the week I had lose 2 lbs! So I had a total of 2 1/2 lbs in 2 weeks - not great, but at least the scales started moving in the right direction again. I started trying to drink either a protein shake or a couple eggs (protein) first thing in the morning. That may be helping. Two of the people on the other board (one being my sister) are going to a doctor to lose weight and both have been told to start with something high in protein in the mornings (must be more protein than carbs) and that this will get your metabolism going for the day. They have both been told to have a certain # of protein grams each day to help with the weight loss. So I'm trying to do that. Let's see if it continues to work for me!

Check out: 30 lbs by New Years Board (for more specifics on the protein, etc) Angel Kisses and Nana&Poppy2526 have been sharing that information with us.

Marlene

Marlene

Drinking eggs? *gag* lol The tea seems to be working for me. I measured my waist this morning and so far, there's a whole inch gone!! I was excited :P

I've gotten back on track and have been Zumba-ing my little heart out in the mornings so I'm betting that if I keep up what I've been doing, I'll be alright. I tend to be high-strung and if a deadline is approaching and I don't have results, then I really start to panic so the inch that I've already lost put me in gear to lose the rest.

Let me know how your diet's going!

Jen

LOL - no not drinking eggs. Sorry for the confusion in the way I wrote that. I actually do an egg omlet and cook the heck out of it. I have an allergy to raw egg whites so the only way I can eat the eggs is if I cook the crap out of them.

Marlene

Hey Marlene! Looks like it's coming off! One question though, what's "LW"?? I figured out SW is Starting Weight; CW is Current Weight and GW is Goal Weight but I couldn't get LW lol

I'm doing alright! Numbers haven't really moved a whole lot but my clothes are getting smaller WOOHOO!! I have also found a great warm up to do before Zumba! Have you heard of the dance Cuban Shuffle? It's a line dance-pretty popular in the clubs right now... yea, the warm up is a Zumba inspired version! I happened to notice it was Zumba inspired when I was dancing with my 2 year old. How fun!!! Before, I wasn't really doing any "warm up". I'd just stretch and kinda bounce around for a few minutes while the DVD was queing up so it's cool to have something to go along with it :)

Anywho, keep up the great work!

Jen

LW is last weight (previous week) LOL

No I haven't heard about the Cuban Shuffle. Is this a separate cd from your Zumba. I'd love to have a cd that teaches you to line dance - have even looked for me. Any ideas?

Ahhhhh ok. I read it and was just like "what in the world?" lol Last Weight never crossed my mind! Now I feel like Jessica Simpson LOL

The Cuban Shuffle is done to the song by Cupid "Cuban Shuffle". I don't know of any tapes or dvds that teach line dances anymore. I know they used to make them like back in the 90s and stuff. Maybe you could search online for some? Surely there's something out there like that :)

Ahhhhh ok. I read it and was just like "what in the world?" lol Last Weight never crossed my mind! Now I feel like Jessica Simpson LOL

The Cuban Shuffle is done to the song by Cupid "Cuban Shuffle". I don't know of any tapes or dvds that teach line dances anymore. I know they used to make them like back in the 90s and stuff. Maybe you could search online for some? Surely there's something out there like that :)

Hi girls, I'm visiting your thread today! :) I am into dancing and trying to learn a bunch of line dances. I think they are the most fun form of exercise. The one you are thinking of is called the "Cupid Shuffle" named after the artist. I've seen quite a few line dances and this one is great because it is so simple. Kids can join in pretty easily. It is one of the easiest to learn. I bought the song from iTunes and have watched the How-To videos on youtube. It is really simple:

At the front end of the song there is a little drumbeat so you can just keep your feet in place for a bit, get into the rhythm and move your shoulders and flex your arms into rhythm. When the singer begins with "Down, Down, Do Your Dance, Do your Dance, Do Your Dance" that's where you begin the steps. Later: He'll call out the FOUR parts during the song...."To the right, to the right, to the right, to the right" then "To the left, to the left, to the left, to the left" then "Now Kick, Now Kick, Now Kick, Now Kick" then "Now walk-it by yourself, now walk-it by yourself"

1. TO THE RIGHT:

You step to the right 4 times (starting with your right foot....this will total 8 steps/8 counts because each step to the right is followed by bringing your left foot over to the right foot. Imagine you are in a seat at the movies and you stand up to leave...you have to SCOOCH along, right, left, right, left)....so it goes like (toward the right) step right-left foot together, right-left foot, right-left foot, right-left foot.

2. TO THE LEFT:

Step to the left four times (same concept: starting with your left foot and moving toward the left, then after each step with the left foot, bring the right over to it). You'll end up with 8 counts as you are stepping right, then 8 counts as you are stepping left.

Note: If you choose to cross one foot behind the other during your stepping, this is called a "grapevine".

3. NOW KICK:

Do 4 low kicks beginning with right (kick-then back down), then left (kick-then back down), right (kick-then back down), left (kick-then back down)--this totals 8 counts.

(some people get fancy and might kick back and slap the soul of their foot with the palm of the opposite hand)

(Note: the kicks can be really low to the floor, just skimming it = shuffles)

4. NOW WALK IT BY YOURSELF: Last, sort of a twisting motion with the hips, continually stepping in little pivots (8 counts) to do a 1/4 turn that runs counter-clockwise (to your left). For turns like that, I picture myself standing on a giant clock and I'm facing 12:00. With your 8 little steps you want to end up at 9:00.

With all line dances, as people get more and more comfortable with the basic steps, they like to get pretty fancy and improvise, which is really cool-looking. As long as you keep the count of the music and stay with the rest of the line dancers, you can do anything you want to make it your own. Don't be intimidated by the guys who do the fancy stuff. The basic steps are fine.

Hi girls, I'm visiting your thread today! :) I am into dancing and trying to learn a bunch of line dances. I think they are the most fun form of exercise. The one you are thinking of is called the "Cupid Shuffle" named after the artist. I've seen quite a few line dances and this one is great because it is so simple. Kids can join in pretty easily. It is one of the easiest to learn. I bought the song from iTunes and have watched the How-To videos on youtube. It is really simple:

At the front end of the song there is a little drumbeat so you can just keep your feet in place for a bit, get into the rhythm and move your shoulders and flex your arms into rhythm. When the singer begins with "Down, Down, Do Your Dance, Do your Dance, Do Your Dance" that's where you begin the steps. Later: He'll call out the FOUR parts during the song...."To the right, to the right, to the right, to the right" then "To the left, to the left, to the left, to the left" then "Now Kick, Now Kick, Now Kick, Now Kick" then "Now walk-it by yourself, now walk-it by yourself"

1. TO THE RIGHT:

You step to the right 4 times (starting with your right foot....this will total 8 steps/8 counts because each step to the right is followed by bringing your left foot over to the right foot. Imagine you are in a seat at the movies and you stand up to leave...you have to SCOOCH along, right, left, right, left)....so it goes like (toward the right) step right-left foot together, right-left foot, right-left foot, right-left foot.

2. TO THE LEFT:

Step to the left four times (same concept: starting with your left foot and moving toward the left, then after each step with the left foot, bring the right over to it). You'll end up with 8 counts as you are stepping right, then 8 counts as you are stepping left.

Note: If you choose to cross one foot behind the other during your stepping, this is called a "grapevine".

3. NOW KICK:

Do 4 low kicks beginning with right (kick-then back down), then left (kick-then back down), right (kick-then back down), left (kick-then back down)--this totals 8 counts.

(some people get fancy and might kick back and slap the soul of their foot with the palm of the opposite hand)

(Note: the kicks can be really low to the floor, just skimming it = shuffles)

4. NOW WALK IT BY YOURSELF: Last, sort of a twisting motion with the hips, continually stepping in little pivots (8 counts) to do a 1/4 turn that runs counter-clockwise (to your left). For turns like that, I picture myself standing on a giant clock and I'm facing 12:00. With your 8 little steps you want to end up at 9:00.

With all line dances, as people get more and more comfortable with the basic steps, they like to get pretty fancy and improvise, which is really cool-looking. As long as you keep the count of the music and stay with the rest of the line dancers, you can do anything you want to make it your own. Don't be intimidated by the guys who do the fancy stuff. The basic steps are fine.

It's the funnest dance ever! There's always a debate if it's "Cupid Shuffle" or "Cupid Shuffle". I have it downloaded on Limewire. When I first searched for it, I put in Cupid but there wasn't anything so I tried Cuban and came up with a whole bunch of them.

As Salsa said, don't let everyone else intimidate you when they do the fancier stuff. Once you've had some practice at it, you'll be able to dance circles around them :P

That dance itself makes a great workout! The lower you go when going to the right and left, the better you work your thighs. I noticed that the other day while Aly and I were having our daily dance time. That and Zumba together have been awesome!

It's the funnest dance ever! There's always a debate if it's "Cupid Shuffle" or "Cupid Shuffle". I have it downloaded on Limewire. When I first searched for it, I put in Cupid but there wasn't anything so I tried Cuban and came up with a whole bunch of them.

As Salsa said, don't let everyone else intimidate you when they do the fancier stuff. Once you've had some practice at it, you'll be able to dance circles around them :P

That dance itself makes a great workout! The lower you go when going to the right and left, the better you work your thighs. I noticed that the other day while Aly and I were having our daily dance time. That and Zumba together have been awesome!

Hey there! I noticed what you said about the name...You can get plenty of hits on youtube just typing in "Cuban" instead of "Cupid." I loved your tip about getting lower with the shuffling and the good thigh workout. I'm going to try that! I'd also like to look into Zumba. I've heard a lot of buzz about it and saw a short video clip one day. A friend of mine said that the local YMCA has classes. Sounds like a lot of fun. :)

Hey there! I noticed what you said about the name...You can get plenty of hits on youtube just typing in "Cuban" instead of "Cupid." I loved your tip about getting lower with the shuffling and the good thigh workout. I'm going to try that! I'd also like to look into Zumba. I've heard a lot of buzz about it and saw a short video clip one day. A friend of mine said that the local YMCA has classes. Sounds like a lot of fun. :)

Zumba is SO FUN! I bought the program online. http://www.zumbafitness.com It comes with an instructional dvd to teach you the steps first before you progress into the 20 minute workout or sculpt and tone workout. There's also a video called "Flat abs" which is cool, it's a total standing ab workout and a vid called "Zumba Live". I haven't done that one yet but I'm sure it's just as fun as the rest! Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!!

Jen

They have the 4 dvd sets (Zumba) on Ebay as well - and pretty cheap. I've been looking at them but being 50+ years old, I'm not sure if I will be able to do the Zumba. I'm not very coordinated.......

Thanks Salsa Dancer for the instructions on the Cupid/Cuban Dance. I read those several times and then went to You Tube and watch a few of those. I just have to work on the "Walk It By Yourself" step.

They have the 4 dvd sets (Zumba) on Ebay as well - and pretty cheap. I've been looking at them but being 50+ years old, I'm not sure if I will be able to do the Zumba. I'm not very coordinated.......

Thanks Salsa Dancer for the instructions on the Cupid/Cuban Dance. I read those several times and then went to You Tube and watch a few of those. I just have to work on the "Walk It By Yourself" step.

Hi Nana....just a total of 8 steps, one after the other...(Now)left (walk it)right, (by) left (yourself) right, (Now) left, (walk it) right, (by) left (yourself) right...the last right step is a "touch step" with your toe (not flat-footed). That leaves it free to start out the next series heading toward the right. You always do one foot after the other except if one is a touch step, that is not counted as a step with that foot until you actually plant it. I hope that makes sense. It's counted with the rhythm of the music but you don't normally go right, right (or left, left) in walking or any other movement, including dance. You plant one foot after the other. But if you have a touch-step, then you can use that foot to step with on the next count. I like how some of the people move their knees with the "walk it by yourself"....it looks pretty cool. Mine doesn't look so cool, but I'm working on it.

Archived