First-timer's question on shore touring with babies.

I've been blasted for this opinion in the past, but it bears repeating.

Not only are the children not going to remember this trip, but I think the OP is going to remember it for a different reason. A Med cruise is usually very port intensive (and foreign). Keeping you on the go all the time, if you aren't going to go ashore and see the ports, why take the cruise??? You aren't going to find things the same as at home. I don't think the adults are going to have a relaxing enjoyable cruise with two small children in tow. Luggage amount/weight restrictions could also be a consideration when flying with two small children. Diapers? Things to keep them entertained? A stroller, a carseat, a crib?

My husband and I used to go camping a lot and with only one child it was easy. When the second one came along, after one campout I decided I

would be happier at home than trying to lug everything and keep my eye on two babies at the waters edge or mountainside.

The OP is the only one that can make this decision, but from those of us that have been there and done that, JMHO I wouldn't recommend it.

I am going to go out on a limb here,and say the doing a Med cruise that is port intensive ,as most of them are, would not be condusive for you as a first time with 2 infants.I think you would find it stressful,expensvie,and you would not enjoy the sighteeing as much as you could.I would wait until your kids are older as they are not going to remember anything per se.If you can't get someone to stay with them while you cruise then maybe look to see if the Big Red Ship re Disney is doing any Med cruises as I think they mayb. I don't want to anger anyone re this post,but I have seen people try to do this and then they are stressed to the limit and it makes a vaction not a vaction.This is just my humble opinion on this matter.

I happen to agree 100%. Why do such a stressful cruise with 2 infants/children. The Mediterranean/Europe cruises are not for young kids, imho. There is just too much to do and lot's of history where kids will not care and be bored easily. Not to mention expensive. I myself cruised to the Caribbean when my kids were young and did not take the Europe cruises till my kids were in high school. Since this topic and thread is posted then I want to add my 5 cents worth. Wait till the kids are at least 10 years old if you want to take them to Europe and take a Caribbean or Bermuda cruise for now. Honestly,sherineloh, take cberge, tip and wait for Europe because neither you or your kids will enjoy the cruise. I speak the truth.

you must be kidding...I know that isnt very helpful...but the best help I can give you is to say , please do not travel with a baby and a toddler...

the med is not the type of trip that you could enjoy if you brought them with you....

nor would they...

nor would others...

in fact I cant understand why anyone would go on ANY cruise with a baby....I just dont get it...what is the point of the trip?

sorry, just cant keep quiet here....

Well said and it is the truth. Why would anyone in their right mind do such a cruise with toddlers? It is insane :eek: You would just have a horrible time and why make yourself miserable? Everyone here who is offering their opinions and advice is correct, don't cruise to Europe with toddlers. Big mistake. sherineloh, can't any family member or trusted friend watch the children for a week or so?

I am going to ask again......why does everyone keep saying a European cruise is soooooo stressful ?????? If it is so stressful ---- why go at all ?

You say the OP will not enjoy it as it will be too stressful for her....then in the same paragraph say it was stressful for you without kids.

I think any vacation can be made to be stressful. It is up to the traveller to research, make choices that are reasonable to their circumstances, and then be flexible once there.

Also....again - the poster has said she has travelled overseas with small child already.

I wonder if perhaps some people just find small children stressful no matter. I know my SIL (ex now) couldnt deal with her infants or toddlers but once they reached schoolage things settled in.

Another BIL/SIL (to whom $$ is not a problem) have taken their 2 all over the world. The kids (now 8 & 7) love to travel and in the last year alone have gone to Italy, Croatia, France, England, Hawaii & Bahamas in 4 seperate trips. They have their own frequent flyer mile accounts :) We have taken trips with them and they are well behaved, know how to entertain themselves (such as when flying) roll with the punches and thoroughly enjoy experiencing new places and things. This would not be the case if they were left at home :(

I am going to ask again......why does everyone keep saying a European cruise is soooooo stressful ?????? If it is so stressful ---- why go at all ?

You say the OP will not enjoy it as it will be too stressful for her....then in the same paragraph say it was stressful for you without kids.

I think any vacation can be made to be stressful. It is up to the traveller to research, make choices that are reasonable to their circumstances, and then be flexible once there.

Also....again - the poster has said she has travelled overseas with small child already.

I wonder if perhaps some people just find small children stressful no matter. I know my SIL (ex now) couldnt deal with her infants or toddlers but once they reached schoolage things settled in.

Another BIL/SIL (to whom $$ is not a problem) have taken their 2 all over the world. The kids (now 8 & 7) love to travel and in the last year alone have gone to Italy, Croatia, France, England, Hawaii & Bahamas in 4 seperate trips. They have their own frequent flyer mile accounts :) We have taken trips with them and they are well behaved, know how to entertain themselves (such as when flying) roll with the punches and thoroughly enjoy experiencing new places and things. This would not be the case if they were left at home :(

I could not have said it better myself. I am so shocked at some of the responses. I know there are some children that would not handle this kind of travel well, but as a parent that is your decision to make, as long as they are not disrupting other travelers. My son at six months old has no memory of the cruise to Panama. I have wonderful memories of his grandma that has since passed away talking to him during dinner. And the lovely photos I have of him and his two sisters on formal night. And the way he smiled at all the waiters.

And because we have traveled with all three of our children since they were infants, they are wonderful travelers. They have their shoes and jackets off and are ready with boarding passes to go through security before I do. They have been able to test the foreign languages they are learning in school, for real. They can entertain themselves on planes. We were on the Millennium that ran aground last year and had the cruise cancelled in Civitavecchia. We would have handled things differently if we were alone. But what a life lesson, that travel can bring the unexpected and to learn from it and roll with the punches.

No they may not remember their first few trips, trip, but I do. It it will be the beginning of a lifelong love of travel.

Just be careful. My 11 year old is now begging to go to Norway "someday". You do not know what kind of adventurer you may be creating.

It is up to the traveller to research, make choices that are reasonable to their circumstances, and then be flexible once there.

I think that sums it up well (although I haven't changed my opinion that a Med cruise with 2 'babies' doesn't seem like the best choice of vacations). She has already cruised with her 8 month old child so she is familiar with that experience. Her research now on Med cruises will help with the decision, although, it seems like a difficult decision to make when the second child isn't even born yet .... perhaps waiting until the baby is 6 months or more old before committing to air and cruise would be a good idea.

I think that sums it up well (although I haven't changed my opinion that a Med cruise with 2 'babies' doesn't seem like the best choice of vacations). She has already cruised with her 8 month old child so she is familiar with that experience. Her research now on Med cruises will help with the decision, although, it seems like a difficult decision to make when the second child isn't even born yet .... perhaps waiting until the baby is 6 months or more old before committing to air and cruise would be a good idea.

True it's her decision to make and she is the one who has to deal with the events that take place. But, Europe is just a big hassle to travel when you have 2 kids both under 3 years old. Who wants to vacation {which is supposed to be fun and relaxing}with bottles, diapers, change of clothing for mishaps, toys to keep them busy, etc. the list goes on and on. That to me is so stressful.:eek: I wanted to see Europe too and I waited till my kids were in high school where they can remember and enjoy the vacation. I'm just saying why take toddlers to Europe. If it's a cruise and family time you want why not cruise closer to home and sail to the Caribbean, Bermuda, Mexico. I'm sure those excursions aren't full days. And people will say "take a half day excursion". I travel all the way to Europe and I going to take a half day excursion! I don't think so. I want a full day to see as much as possible and experience as musch as possible. BTW, what about nap time don't toddlers still nap? Can you spell cranky?

Having just returned from a med cruise where there were lots of small babies I can add the following.

1. While there were lots of strollers in evidence onboard; I never saw any of them on one of the tours.

2. On one of our tours there was a family with two children aged 7-10, and they got cranky and bored by mid morning.

3. There are so (I repeat SO) many people in most of these ports that your baby would most likely get tripped over and all they would see is people's knees. Also agree with earlier poster regarding the cobblestone streets.

4. The couple of times I saw small babies being taken off the ship at a port, they were crying and cranky (it gets very hot and humid in the Med) and their parents did not look like they were enjoying themselves.

While I admire your wanting to do this with babies, I really don't think a Med cruise is your best bet.

Having just returned from a med cruise where there were lots of small babies I can add the following.

1. While there were lots of strollers in evidence onboard; I never saw any of them on one of the tours.

2. On one of our tours there was a family with two children aged 7-10, and they got cranky and bored by mid morning.

3. There are so (I repeat SO) many people in most of these ports that your baby would most likely get tripped over and all they would see is people's knees. Also agree with earlier poster regarding the cobblestone streets.

4. The couple of times I saw small babies being taken off the ship at a port, they were crying and cranky (it gets very hot and humid in the Med) and their parents did not look like they were enjoying themselves.

While I admire your wanting to do this with babies, I really don't think a Med cruise is your best bet.

You hit the nail on the head. I think a Caribbean cruise is more suited for a family with toddlers. When I was on my Med cruise last August I too saw strollers on board but no one with toddlers were on my excursions. There are many cobblestone streets. The weather is HOT and humid. It can be uncomfortable for adults imagine toddlers. A child crying and cranky is no fun for the parents or fellow tourist. If 7 and 10 year olds were bored tell me what will a toddler experience from this vacation? What will the parents get out of this? imho a headache. What will the toddler say when he/she is older I went to Europe, but I can't remember the experience. I honestly think traveling to Europe with toddlers is not a smart move. Just my 2 cents worth.

Hi,

I am new to cruising. I'd like to take a cruise in Europe (possible leaving from Rome). I assume that every other day or day at least we will arrive at a new port. I assume that the cruise companies have several excursion package options for each port for you to choose from. Can someone tell me how much I should expect to pay for a day excursion per person and per child (infant just under 1 year plus another child above 2 years old)?

I guess excursions mainly includes bus tour to different tourist sites and some may include food right? I should think private excursions are much too expensive but if you have rough rates, that be good. Else would it be at difficult to do it on my own (busses, taxi - taking into consideration cost and time : only 1 day on shore at each city)? Thanks.

Also do you think it'd be difficult travelling with babies for 1 day port stops? I've never been to Europe and thought cruising would be a good way to see Europe with kids (at least accomodation is all on board the ship so we don't have to repack for city and change hotels).

Are most ports near enough to the main attractions to work it out on your own? I don't want to be late to get back to the ship (with rush hour etc). Eg Rome port to center of attractions? Thanks.

I don't believe the OP asked if she should take her kids. Looks like she is just asking for advice on tours and travelling with the kids, not on whether or not to go with the kids.

I don't believe the OP asked if she should take her kids. Looks like she is just asking for advice on tours and travelling with the kids, not on whether or not to go with the kids.

Exactly.

I just hope she will inform us which cruise she had selected so I will make sure I will NOT book the same cruise.

Nothing I can do, I don't like traveling with babies.

I don't like them on the plane, I don't like them on the car or bus or train. And on the cruise..it is beyond words.

I am sorry. Not.

Some cruise lines go to great lengths to make sure you and your child are well taken care of- the trick is finding the right cruise line and the right cruise, there is one for you. I am in total disagreement about traveling with kids- so if you are willing, they are able. That being said, my son could go anywhere and be happy, he loved travelling and still does. My daughter isn't so easy, but I really don't let that stop me from enjoying my life. I can't imagine people telling you not to go travel with kids, but perhaps that is just the thinking where they are from? I would not hesitate to take my child on a cruise, because I know there will be some more relaxing time then on just a vacation at a hotel.... but that's just me.

Exactly.

I just hope she will inform us which cruise she had selected so I will make sure I will NOT book the same cruise.

Nothing I can do, I don't like traveling with babies.

I don't like them on the plane, I don't like them on the car or bus or train. And on the cruise..it is beyond words.

I am sorry. Not.

Well, truthfully, I'm not overly fond of traveling with babies either. I don't have kids, and I am not comfortable around babies, but I just really hate seeing someone flamed for a question she or he did not actually ask.

I do believe that everyone has the right to bring her or his children on vacation as long as they do not impact the quality of others' vacations. I grew up traveling all over with my parents, and to this day I love traveling.

Some cruise lines go to great lengths to make sure you and your child are well taken care of- the trick is finding the right cruise line and the right cruise, there is one for you. I am in total disagreement about traveling with kids- so if you are willing, they are able. That being said, my son could go anywhere and be happy, he loved travelling and still does. My daughter isn't so easy, but I really don't let that stop me from enjoying my life. I can't imagine people telling you not to go travel with kids, but perhaps that is just the thinking where they are from? I would not hesitate to take my child on a cruise, because I know there will be some more relaxing time then on just a vacation at a hotel.... but that's just me.

She should travel with kids. I'm not saying to leave them home. I'm saying why Europe? The tours are more history and cultural and most likely full days. I have always taken my kids on cruises since they were 5 and 9. But when they were young we cruised to Bermuda, Caribbean E. W. and Southern. We didn't cruise Europe till they were high school age. Plus we have done several land vacations when they were young. All I'm saying is take a cruise but why Europe? You would really want to bring diapers, bottles, stroller, toys, etc all the way to Europe for a trip that might turn out terrible with toddlers who need to nap and eat at certain times. I just don't get it. I want my cruises to be fun and relaxing and yet some adventure.

Back to the OPs original question(s)... usually children under 2, and sometimes age 4, do not pay anything to go on a tour, provided they are "lap" children (just like the airlines.) This also assumes no age limit on the tour, like some more "adventurous" tours (i.e. kayaking, zip-line, snorkeling, etc.) It's best to call and ask your cruise line, but on RCCL and NCL at least, you only book and pay for the adult spots, and just carry the infant (s) with you. I also assume that they would limit this to one adult per baby, just like any other "free infant" deals out there.

I also want to add my 2 cents to those who wonder "why" bring children with you on a cruise/vacation... I know this is shocking, but some of us actually enjoy being with our children on vacation, and do not need to "get away" from them. I feel sorry for you if your home life is so stressful, and your children so ill behaved that you feel the need to run half way around the world for some respite.

I don't find traveling with a baby/toddler any more stressful than solo travel, probably because I am a seasoned traveler, and because we have traveled with our son extensively since he was born (50+ flights at last count, and he has yet to be "that" screaming baby who you dread being seated beside). Every time we go out or travel (plane, ship, or just a nice restaurant), strangers come up to us and comment about how good our son was and how you wouldn't know there was a baby around. Provided you are flexible, and always build in extra time, it is no big deal. You also have to plan a bit extra, with toys (quiet ones) and snacks, but that too takes very little effort. However, if you (and yours) are infrequent travelers, of course you will be stressed from being in a foreign environment, with kids or not! Haven't you ever heard the saying, "People check their brains with their luggage!" :D This is not limited to people with kids!

Also, not every toddler is a rabid wildebeest that needs taming! While clearly there are those parents who should rethink traveling with kids, there are some families who are seasoned travelers, and/or those with low-maintenance kids who travel great. You probably don't even notice them when you travel because they are being quiet and well behaved. It's too bad that those parents with the "I paid for this trip so I am not leaving despite my unhappy, screaming child" who make everyone look bad. I actually wish those people would stay at home too, but that doesn't mean that I think that everyone under 18 should be banned from vacations!!!

I so agree with Wanderingfool! We had always taken our daughter until our last trip when she decided that she really wanted to stay with her Nana who had moved away 4 months previously. Her nana had lived with us from the time she was born and she missed her desperately. We agreed that she would probably enjoy having a 'vacation' with her grandmother more than a Transatlantic cruise so grandma flew here and we went by ourselves. What a disaster! Within 2 days she was regretting it, and long before we even left I was. When we got home she told us that she was never, EVER, going to let us go on another cruise without her. (And wanted to go on one that week to make up for the one she missed.) We have one coming up and we all can't wait. I had (mistakenly) considered leaving her with the kids groups while touring because I don't think she would enjoy Museums and ruins yet at five, and she does love the play groups, but we solved that by deciding to do private or DIY tours that will accomodate her more. Not only does she love traveling... but we love to travel with her. The enthusiasm that she brings makes it so much more exciting for us. We love the different perspectives we get too! Leaving her behind in April, missing her continually, only made what could have been a wonderful vacation very much a mediocre experience.

Wow! I just checked in on this post and saw the numerous responses. I must say I am a little dissapointed that many feel that children are an 'inconvenience' when travelling. Travelling without my children would be out of the question for my husband and I. I am a stay at home mum and have not left my daughter since she was born (maybe to the salon and doctor only). My husband works for himself and works at home. So with this said, leaving her with even my parents or in-laws would be out of the question eventhough we are close. So if we don't bring our children, we won't go.

I feel (with my experience with my daughter) that travelling with children at a younger age is even easier than when their are older. My daughter was exactly like if she was at home in terms of behaviour when we travelling in Hong Kong. She slept while we ate, while we were on the bus, shopping. She was mainly cranky when she was sleepy or hungry only. The good thing when they are young, all the need is you being there. They can sleep practically anywhere in your arms or on a carrier or stroller.Also they are lighter when they are young. I am only concern more on the possible health issues travelling with an infant. Besides infants don't get sea sick. I have friends with older kids that keep complaining saying "Mommy I want to go home. I am tired" or "I am bored" or "This is not fun", "Why do we only do things you like". Much more whining that is harder to resolve. I do notice that my almost 2 year old is harder to handle when we shop then when she was younger. However having said that, it is still much easier to sooth her plus we can still can carry her or sooth her than a 5 or even 10 year old. So if I were to wait, I would have to vacation when they are in their teens. If I were to have a third child, that would be a good 15 years before we get to go anywhere.

I must say that I am scared off a little with the review that the Meds is a though itenary to attempt plus having so many people stating they hate kids onboard is disturbing. On my last cruise with my baby, she was a hit with the crew onboard. So many staff new her name and we even got invited to the captain's dinner (I think there was an aniversary dinner and it was formal dinning). We really enjoyed having her with us plus we have so many cute photos of her for memories. My daughter is not naughty and neither easy as she does have her moments but I think it is important parents are sensitive to their baby's needs as well as others around. We would immediately take her out of a situation if she acted up.

With my situation, my husband and I have always wanted to visit the Meds and with this opportunity with a business class upgrade for the whole family sounds really good plus travelling business class with kids would make things much easier. The validity is up til next year when my 2nd baby is about 11 months old. My concern is travelling with 2 kids (never done that!) With one child, if any one of us is tired, we can pass her to the other but with 2, we'd both hands fulls. Travelling with a helper is out of the question.

I have some other questions.

1) What does tendered ports mean?

2) Also what months would be best to travel with kids in mind (not hot yet not too cold and most importantly not too crowded). I am thinking about Sept or Oct. Nights wouldn't be that cold as we would be in the ship.

3) Is booking earlier cheaper? I see some reduced prices and additional discounts if you book later.

4) I see there are some Kids sail for free specifically MSC Cruises for Med cruises. Do you recommend MSC cruises? Are there any other such kids sail for free? With the savings we can spend more on private excursions.

5) What ports do you recommend for Med that would be 'baby friendlier' (best if we can just step outside and need not travel far to see much)? I will bear in mind some ports do need travelling a little like Rome or Florence but 1 or 2 ports wouldn't be that bad besides I am thinkining of starting of from Rome or Barcelona. (I am not interested in Greece or Turkey area as I've been to Greece before.)

6) Are there cancellation fees (base on percentage) of forfeited fees if we cancel?

7) I'd prefer an itenary that has like 2 days at each port but that does not seem to be common (I don't see it on MSC).

As for my plans, I will probably stay 3-4 days in Rome/Barcelona upon arrival before embarking on the cruise (to shake of jet-lag and get time adjusted) plus get whatever supplies I need for the kids that I did not pack along). That way we can see Rome/Barcelona leisurely too.

Thanks for the opinions (either way). I am not sure if I would do the trip now with the feedback but I am not completely scraping it off my list.

If you are doing a 12 night cruise there will be at least three ports where you tender (Villefranche, Dubrovnik and Santorini for example. Athens, Livorno, Citivecchia, Naples you dock). Tenders are little boats (not much bigger than lifeboats) that take you to shore from the ship. With stroller and infants it would be difficult getting them on and off of the tenders.

2) Also what months would be best to travel with kids in mind (not hot yet not too cold and most importantly not too crowded). I am thinking about Sept or Oct. Nights wouldn't be that cold as we would be in the ship.

September and October would be ideal for weather but May airfares are traditionally cheaper and this would also be a good time to go.

3) Is booking earlier cheaper? I see some reduced prices and additional discounts if you book later.

The advantage of booking early is that the rates are good and their is more availability. You are more apt to get a suite or family stateroom if you book well in advance. You can usually cancel most cruises 90 days prior to the cruise with no cancellation fees.

4) I see there are some Kids sail for free specifically MSC Cruises for Med cruises. Do you recommend MSC cruises? Are there any other such kids sail for free? With the savings we can spend more on private excursions.

MSC and Costa do have some kids travel free with two paying adults. These cruises are usually in the summer only. As for MSC, I have not cruised them but think they would be a good choice off season (September, October, or May). Otherwise, I have heard that both Costa and MSC are swarmed with Italians and their family- which means the pool and diningroom will be very crowded. Too claustraphobic IMO. You aren't really going to save much by doing summer even with free passage for the kids. Off season prices are over $ 1000 cheaper so this offsets the price for the kids. I recommend one of the Freedom class Royal Caribbean cruises with kids become they have outdoor play areas/ swim for babies.

5) What ports do you recommend for Med that would be 'baby friendlier' (best if we can just step outside and need not travel far to see much)? I will bear in mind some ports do need travelling a little like Rome or Florence but 1 or 2 ports wouldn't be that bad besides I am thinkining of starting of from Rome or Barcelona. (I am not interested in Greece or Turkey area as I've been to Greece before.)

Ports where you can wander around without excursions would be Villefrance/Monte Carlo, Dubrovnik Croatia, Naples, Malaga, Gibraltar,Barcelona, Venice, the British Isles cruises, the Norwegian Fiord cruises.

6) Are there cancellation fees (base on percentage) of forfeited fees if we cancel? You can usually cancel 90 days ahead with no cancellation fees or you can buy trip insurance but read the fine print about what types of situations allow you to cancel.

7) I'd prefer an itenary that has like 2 days at each port but that does not seem to be common (I don't see it on MSC). 12 days cruise usually have overnights in either Rome, Venice, or Barcelona.

As for my plans, I will probably stay 3-4 days in Rome/Barcelona upon arrival before embarking on the cruise (to shake of jet-lag and get time adjusted) plus get whatever supplies I need for the kids that I did not pack along). That way we can see Rome/Barcelona leisurely too.

Thanks for the opinions (either way). I am not sure if I would do the trip now with the feedback but I am not completely scraping it off my list.

One thing you might want to consider (although most cruise lines require children to be at least 12 months old) is a Transatlantic. These are two week cruises that have a few Caribbean ports and a few European ports thrown in. They are very relaxing and affordable AND the big bonus is only one Transatlantic flight. I did one with my then 4 year old in 2005. We did the Celebrity Millenium and it FANTASTIC! If you have a keen interest in Rome, many of the transatlantic cruises end in Rome or Barcelona- so you could spend a few days there and fly home.

Can only suggest that you read and read and read and.........lots of homework. It is important to get it right with such young children.

There are many features on CC which will help to answer your questions, go to the features section.

And for reviews on cruise lines and particular ships go to the reviews section.

This is a fantastic site, explore it.

Be aware that although the Med is not as busy and hot in Sept and October as it is in July and August, it can be extremely busy. ....with all the people who wait for the school holiday crush to finish before heading there themselves. And because it is only very warm/hot instead of very hot. It is the same in late May and June. And choose carefully. Weather in some parts of the med is breaking down as early as mid October, in other places it is still pleasant. In some, May is too early, in other places it is not.

MSC and Costa are both Italian lines. While some people enjoy this, others do not. We have heard from others that Italians travel in large family groups of several generations, they want a fun time, they can be very noisy, food is mostly Italian, announcements, and jokes, and everything else, are made in as many as 5 different languages which can be irritating and adds to the general noise. Dining seatings can be as late as 10pm. Smoking is more prevalent. We know people who have sailed one or the other....but only the once. They said the ships were too noisy and too confining with that many people on them. We have never sailed with either so do not know how accurate or otherwise this is, , but if you are considerring an Italian line this is the kind of info you need to check for yourself. If lots of people say the same thing, it isnt just the opinion of one person. You need to know these things.

If you are determined to get to Rome, why not consider staying there a few days then heading to an Italian beach resort? We took our kids (then barely 1 and just turned 3) to a beach resort in Italy for our first family holiday. Italians love small children and everything was made that little bit easier because of that. And the beaches are highly regulated which means you pay for all the facilities on that stretch of beach, but it is well worth it. You will use mostor all of the facilities. Or do Rome first then head to Sorrento for a few days hotel stay. No beaches, but there are pools. Wide range of accommodation and eating places at all different prices, lovely visits to Pompeii, Herculaneum, Capri, Amalfi etc. Boats, trains and buses.

Or visit Barcelona for a few days then move along the coast a (very) little to somewhere like Sitges. Or base in Sitges and take trips into Barcelona for city sightseeing. Or consider going to Majorca or Menorca from Barcelona. Both are excellent holiday islands.

A few more tidbits I would like to add.....

tendering: We got a full size wheelchair on one (Grand Cayman) for my MIL and was not all that bad. The crew at the tender station lifted it in and lifted it out. A foldup stroller would be a piece of cake. Also we stopped in Dubrovnik and it was not a tender port. We docked a ways from old town and the ship provided a really nice shuttle for $8.00 per person round trip. Took about 10 minutes to get there.

We travelled in late November. While the nights were cold, the days were gloriously nice ! Mid 70's - sunny. Perfect for sightseeing. I had a sweater with me but did not wear it alot. Prices for cruise were UNBELIEVABLY CHEAP. We had the largest balcony cabin for $ 899. per person for a 9 night cruise. ! also hotels are cheaper too.

I would book early. With your situation (2 kids) you want to have everything in place as soon as possible. Excursions, air, hotels etc.

If you begin in Rome - consider private tours for Florence and Naples. The Amalfi coast is not to be missed. The little ones will sleep in the car :D

I hope whatever you decide that you have a wonderful trip with your husband and kids. I too could never ever consider leaving mine at home. I have so many wonderful memories of travels with my kids - and they do too !

If you are doing a 12 night cruise there will be at least three ports where you tender (Villefranche, Dubrovnik and Santorini for example. Athens, Livorno, Citivecchia, Naples you dock).

It depends on the ship. HAL's Noordam has had the dock at Dubrovnik and the Westerdam had the dock last year. It depends on the ship and how many are scheduled in port that day. On the Westerdam last year we had the one spot at Monte Carlo.

Thanks to edinburgher, texancruzer, rebeccalouise especially for the new details. It is really helpful. I would trade colder for less crowd any day. Would the ship be cold at night (inside)?

Also texancruzer said that booking early would be better. I have seen quite a few last minute deals and they seem cheap. Would booking earlier be cheaper? I would assume Sept and Oct are lower seasons so it wouldn't be overbooked right? I am thinking of booking later to gauge how my second baby would be at an older age before committing to book.

Do you think a 7 days (seems to be the popular number of days) or a 12-13 or 14 nights is too long? The last one I went for was for 4 days only. Honestly I am not too into cruise entertainment so it would be good for accomodation (no unpacking) and food. I won't be spending time in the pool or anything as I have access to a pool every day. I don't think I would be using the kids program as the kids would be too young. Any approximate rates for 3rd and 4th passager (children) in percentage perhaps? Say 2 adults paying $799 (great rates end of the year), what would children (2 year old and infant) be required to pay (if I am NOT taking the Kid Sail Free)?

The only time we felt the cold was while we were in Rome for 2 nights precruise. At night it was cold. I took a pea coat and dh had a suede jacket. We both wore slacks with long sleeve shirts. We loved walking around Rome at night in the cooler temps. We did not notice it was cool at night on the ship as inside mostly. We usually came back from excursions, rested for a bit then showered and dressed for dinner. Hit the casino afterwards for a bit then pretty much 1 after dinner drink at the champagne bar and then off to bed for us. So we did not spend much time on deck at all. Did have a balcony and we were out there usually for breakfast as we like to have coffee and danish in our jammies while checking out each new port we were in each morning.

As for booking early. Prices are usually much cheaper in the fall anyway. We usually book in March for November cruise....but our Med cruise was a "last minute change" from another cruise. We had booked Jan. cruise and then a conflict with dh schedule came up. Rather than cancel we switched our deposit over to our Med cruise. It was crazy trying to book airfare, hotels, excursions, etc. that close to our sailing. We actually ended up taking quite a few ships tours because of this. I just ran out of time to research each port and arrange private tours or DIY so I researched the excursions offered by the ship and booked those. Worked out great tho. And we paid for them ahead in US$ instead of euros which was nice too. So you can book last minute AS LONG AS YOU HAVE RESEARCHED AND PLANNED OTHER ITEMS AHEAD OF TIME. This way you could have it all figured out (hotels etc.) and have it written down and then just go 1-2-3. I would have alternate plans just in case (say the hotel you want to stay at is booked) to make it go smoother.

The length is purely up to you. We did a 9 night cruise with 2 nights in Rome and 1 night in Barcelona. It was plenty for me.

Costs for children sharing a room will vary by cruiseline, length etc.

Again.... Decide where you want to begin (Rome I think you said) then look at all the cruises out of Rome. Decide where you would really like to go as far as ports and see which ones whether short or long go to those places. Slowly narrow down your "wants". Then pretend to book the cruise and put in 2 adults and 2 children and see what the rate comes up as.

Hope all this helps.

sherineloh

If you are spending some days in Rome (or where- ever pre or post cruise), I would suggest you look at apartments or flats rather than a hotel. There is the advantage that you can eat whenever and whatever you choose (just a boiled egg for example for dinner if you have had a large luch or are tired) and many of them have washing machines etc. We try to stay in these when we go - they may not be quite as swish as some hotels (but there are some pretty poor ones in Rome) but are usually pretty good. I always check out the photos of the bathroom and kitchen before booking! (and check what floor it is on). There are many in the centre of Rome as well so it is easier to get around. Friends spent time at Positano as well last year but was a bit messy to get to on local transport.

Don't be put off by the negative posts; you know (or will know) your children and we older (more mature??) cruisers often forget how we used to cope when our children were small.

Yes I was thinking of using an apartment instead of a hotel as that way I would have a kitchen which would be good if I wanted to cook for the kids. I have seen several sites that offer that. I think that is a good idea. A simple 1 room apartment with kitchen would be about 100 to 150 Euros a night.

Archived